Carpet Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don61

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
4 speed, 3.25 Trac-Loc
Yellow w/NASA Hood
Built 06/11/1973
My 73 Mach 1, Deluxe Interior's black carpet is faded and needs replaced. This was discovered when removing the seats to look for a build sheet. Is there a consensus best replacement carpet among the forum's members? Quality and ease of installation would be of prime concern. Any and all comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Haven't gotten that far yet, but I will be interested in people's thoughts on this one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure ACC is the gold standard for like original carpet. Can be purchased through rockauto.com for a fraction of the price as other places. I would go with the regular carpet as the MASS back seems to be much more difficult to install.

Thanks for the replies. Any more comments?

I replaced the one in my 7-Up car with an ACC, no problems.

ACC used for 25 years with no problems.

Just installed ACC w/ mass backing - easy install looks great

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing the carpet on my 71 when the warm weather arrives is #1 on my to do list. I removed all the old carpet and padding obviously, then filled in all the holes and seams, this past summer. I plan on installing b-quiet of some similar underlay and not the basic stuff. I want a quieter ride, and will get this down first. For the carpet I want something that's going to be pre molded to fit as easy as possible. Check the 'how to's' here and at Mustang Monthly, to do it yourself.

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS. I checked rock auto and saved a lot with the ACC carpet and sound deadner. One more thing off my list. Now to get to the shop and work on finishing the paint prep. THANKS AGAIN...
Rockauto is awesome. I saved a boat-load getting my kyb shocks from them... almost half the price of advance auto.

When I replaced my carpet 30 years ago ACC was the only company offering the Mach1 carpets with the vinyl mat inserts. After 30 years of use I have to say they were not only the first but the best. They still look great almost like new. If Ford had used ACC back in the day we might not even be talking about this.

Just curious, but how is the shifter cutout accuracy on the acc carpet? I have one I'm getting ready to start tomorrow and would prefer not to go burning holes through a spot that is laid out but not too spot on.

ACC rocks! I got the cut-pile with the MASS back... and if my floor would've been "correct," it would've dropped right in without any struggles.

BUT...

I had to replace the seat platforms when I replaced the floor pans. The only seat platforms out there are for coupes/'verts - no FBs yet. I did manage to cut them down a little, so they're somewhere between the coupe/'vert height & thickness and the FB. But did I stop there - Oh Heck No... being 6'5", I had this idea of moving the seat platforms back about 2" to give myself the luxury of a little bit more legroom without even giving the idea of installing molded carpet a second thought.

Yeah... what a PITA to get that stuff in there - being molded, it did not want to give itself up... but the heat gun helped a bit (don't use it too much and only on low settings). Don't get me wrong - it looks great and I love it, but my trying to get a little bit more for 'me' kinda messed things up, complications-wise.

Aside from that self-inflicted wound, I have nothing but good stuff to say about the ACC carpet I bought. I think if I do it again (ever), I'll go with non-MASS-backed, non-Mach 1 carpet - the vinyl "floor mat" inserts bug the crap out of me and make the floor mats slide around a little bit than I'd like.

Back