What if you could?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
What if you could order a brand new 71 to 73 Mustang today? Or maybe 2,one for a daily driver and one for a fun car.

For a daily driver I would want a 71 Grande M code 4 speed loaded with practically every option including air, power windows, full gauges and am/fm radio.

For my fun car I would want a combination of the 2 cars I have now, a 429 CJ convertible 4 speed with 3.50 traction lock and 4 speed. Power top and Windows, air, deluxe interior, etc.

Then if I could have a third it would be a Boss 351.

What would you order?

That could be nice! I think my choises are very similar to yours, why not get every option if it was possible.. :D I might want a grabber blue or pewter metallic for the body color and white or black interior colors.. If it was a option in those years I've might chosen a 351w as an engine.. :)

Forgot about colors. For the Grande I would order maroon metallic with black interior. For the convertible grabber lime with white interior and black top. For the Boss, bright red with black and red interior.

For ultimate sleeper value 429 Grande in white.

Grabber Blue and argent Boss. For the third Grabber blue 429.

I would tick all the go fast stop fast options and delete everything else

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see, I would order a 429 CJ, ram air, mach loaded up.

Wait!

I already did that!

45 years ago!

Seriously, I would order a 429, 4speed ramair, magnums, convertible. Grabber blue with argent trim and the sports decor ( mach 1 trim) pkg.

If I could-

I would say a Mach-1 on an SN-95 ('94-'98) chassis so I could put a Griggs Racing or Maximum Motorsports suspension (front/rear coil overs, torque arm, panhard bar, tubular K-member and control arms). I would prefer a stroked Windsor but I have to use a modern setup, I suppose the supercharged 5.4L from a GT-500 would suffice with a t-56 (6-speed). As for color, I always liked black with tan interior. Considering every car I see in the road is either black, white or some variation of grey, I might consider 2004 Cobra Mystichrome. Not that I have given it any thought..lol

Daily driver would be close to my 71 Pewter Mach 1 which is a well equipped car. Would probably add power windows, fold down rear seat and full lenght console. 351 C pulls like a freight train but has good "Street" manners. Ice cold air and a good ride. Acquired this car in 1975 when I was single so the mini console and C6 worked out great on date nights. So now the full length console would be "ok". :eek:)

2nd choce would be a sleeper. White coupe with NO stripes, magnums, or any "Look At Me" stuff. 429 SCJ Drak Pak with 4 speed and absolutely nothing else that was not required with the engine package.

3rd choice would be a collector car. 71 Grabber Blue and Argent Boss 351. Of course magums, Mach 1 sport interior. ahhh just throw the option list at it! After all, cost is no object....Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could-

I would say a Mach-1 on an SN-95 ('94-'98) chassis so I could put a Griggs Racing or Maximum Motorsports suspension (front/rear coil overs, torque arm, panhard bar, tubular K-member and control arms). I would prefer a stroked Windsor but I have to use a modern setup, I suppose the supercharged 5.4L from a GT-500 would suffice with a t-56 (6-speed). As for color, I always liked black with tan interior. Considering every car I see in the road is either black, white or some variation of grey, I might consider 2004 Cobra Mystichrome. Not that I have given it any thought..lol
That would be awesome if that was an option, LOL.. :D But I like the ideas, very cool, I've might chosen a chassis from Roadster Shop instead with C6 suspension setup.. :)

I just say that because I had a '95 with a complete Griggs GR-40 suspension, T56 and a Vortech supercharged 393w. That's more or less my plan for my '73 Mach-1.

I'd order a pair of 71 Mach-1s, 351 C, 4speed, 325 rear end, ram air, AC, with deluxe interior with fold down rear seat, 15" dog dish and trim rings.

Black and Argent, and Blue and Argent.

I'd rust proof the heck out of them, and tint the back window so the sun can't eat up the back panels.

What do you mean, "if you could order...)? You can, all you have to do is invent that Time Machine and you can buy just what you want! Let me know when you get that thing invented, I want to go back for a little while too!

Can we order them using 71-73 prices back in the day, using today's monies?

Can you imagine what they would say if you showed them today's money?

For me for the daily, it would have to be a 72 convertible in gold glow with ginger interior, factory Magnums and all the options that came on my 73, but with the 351 HO, Toploader and a set of 3.5:1 in the rear. Basically my car in a 72 with the HO engine and a 4 speed.

The fun car, without doubt a bare bones Boss, white with black interior, no stripes, no stickers , dog dish caps, just looking so plain Jane that no one would expect what this car could do. I really do love my Clevelands.

I'd buy a Boss 351 in special order copper metallic with black stripes etc, Magnums with Goodyear Polyglass tread, deluxe ginger interior, tinted brown windows and an 8 track quad matrix. After market I'd upgrade to 4 speed overdrive and replace the Autolite carb with a Holley 750 double-pumper and a Torker intake manifold.

I'd probably get the same car I have now, and do the same things I've done to mine to it - except maybe order it with factory power windows & locks, tach, and A/C.

For a second car, I'd get the same thing as a convertible... and do the same stuff to it as well.

I'm not really interested in (m)any of the other colors... except maybe black with argent Mach 1 decals... but all of the stripes, rockers and TuTone would be black as well, for a "subdued" look.

Back