Oil Galley Plug Removal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Any nifty ideas about how to remove the oil galley plugs? I shot 'em with penetrating fluid for 4 days before trying a big crescent wrench and a hammer, and all I did was round one a little. The bolts are square. Haynes says to be prepared to drill them out and re-tap the holes. Not even sure how to do that.......:mad:

DS Oil Galley Plug.JPG

PS Oil Galley Plug.JPG

Doc

Just keep soaking them and working them, they'll come out. I like PB Blaster for things like this buthave heard a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone works the best. I used Vice grips on the last set I had to remove. Sometimes smacking the end with a hammer helps loosen the threads a little.

Good luck Doc

Got the last box of parts to hopefully complete my rebuild. Will complete the short block on thursday and move on from there. Temp now 40's to 50's in the garage so weather no longer an issue. My goal is to have it running mid April and driving by May. Will get new pic's as motor grows and try to make slide show of out and back in pic's

Alan L

I have used a 3/8 drive allen socket, if you have a large one just turn it around and put the square end (the side that normally goes in the ratchet) on the square plug, now you put a wrench or socket on the allen tip.

like this

http://www.google.com/images?
Nice tip Jorge, me likey. I'm going to remember that.

find a nut that will fit over it and weld it on..let it cool and screw it out.
That´s the way to go for me... if you have a MIG over there, find a nut big enough to weld it on the plug... Weld the inside with high power and that heat is going to loose the plug, plus, you´re gonna have a nice nut shape to unscrew it ;)

Thanks, folks. I don't have a welder, so I tried the heat/vise-grip/hammer approach and it worked just fine. Got the the oil galley plugs out and also removed the freeze plugs. Now, time to clean the engine with my engine brushes and start thinking about reassembly. Thanks again, guys.

Doc

Thanks, folks. I don't have a welder, so I tried the heat/vise-grip/hammer approach and it worked just fine. Got the the oil galley plugs out and also removed the freeze plugs. Now, time to clean the engine with my engine brushes and start thinking about reassembly. Thanks again, guys.

Doc
Well done Doc!! loosing rusted bolts is a pain "there".. i´m about to take the fron suspension of my 70 coupe off.... Everything seems to be original so... every nut and bolt is factory original and woth 40 years of rust generation there :p i´ll tell you later but... i cannot break any piece! je!!

When you clean the block use Castrol Super Clean as a degreaser, it works great. Remember when assembling an engine it's impossible to be too clean.
Castrol Super Clean as a degreaser? I have never used it, I will have to try it. I use Por 15 Marine Clean, it works very very well!! Just do not spray it on paint!! This is a shop of my new paint job on my block untill I tryed to clean it with the por 15, my perfect Blue paint is now...... something other!!!!!

I does work very well cleaning!!!

mustang jig 007.JPG

Back