posi unit.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champney008

Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH 1 351C 4V RAM AIR
Hey I'm looking for a ford 9in 28 spline posi for my 71 mach1 , can anyone give me their preferred brand and possible place to purchase ? Thanks you

Hey I'm looking for a ford 9in 28 spline posi for my 71 mach1 , can anyone give me their preferred brand and possible place to purchase ? Thanks you
just my 2 cents worth but if you don't care about it being original a rear end out of an older explorer will bolt right up and you get 3.73 or 4.11s with posi, lsd, and disk brakes, its an 8.8 I think, but I know ive read on here that one of these guys is running it behing a 500hp motor with no problems. Im building a 429 scj with plans of 500hp+ and torque and that's what im planning on.

I would go with the Detroit locker if you don't mind a little noise (clicking) when turning. Otherwise I would go with the Truetrac, no clutches to wear out, smooth and quiet, and they work very well, probably not as strong as the Detroit locker, but plenty strong for most of us.

A word of warning about Detroit lockers, the lockup on them is very abrupt, they act like a spool when locked, and can be exciting when they lock while turning with excessive application of the throttle pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Ford Trac Lock units. They have clutches that require proper additives in the lube, and when building there are some set up tricks that will allow them to perform better than stock. They are easily rebuilt and are strong enough to twist the splines off of a 28 spline axle from time to time. Anything stronger will be a waste unless you are upgrading axles.

On the street you rarely notice them in normal driving and they have no real bad habits (besides occasionally failing and leaving your car with an essentially open rear end)

Pricewise they are the cheapest to both build or rebuild-

+1 on Jeff's post. I tried a detroit locker on a road race course, once. Very unsettling trying to leave corners with the ratcheting action going on. It also didn't help that the engine was over powering the tires. Just an opinion. Chuck

Detroit true trac is quiet and efficent no oil additives needed and no clutches to wear out. Used 4 so far with no problems at all.

I have a True-Trac - bit of a misnomer, the car loves to fishtail in 1st! Better than going nowhere though! Easier to live with than a traction-loc I think.

Back