71 351c vacuum lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
so i got the vacuum lines for my 71 351c 2v from Scott Drake. BUT, the vacuum diagram they gave me has been copied and printed about a hundred thousand times. so i cant read the diagram at all. can someone give me a good diagram or even better, a pic of where all these vacuum lines go?

so i got the vacuum lines for my 71 351c 2v from Scott Drake. BUT, the vacuum diagram they gave me has been copied and printed about a hundred thousand times. so i cant read the diagram at all. can someone give me a good diagram or even better, a pic of where all these vacuum lines go?
Maybe this will help, just find your configuration on the list.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/71vacuum.html

this may be a stupid question, but what does DVCV mean?

nevermind, think i figured it out.

correct me if im wrong but its the three pronged metal thing thats coming out of the intake in the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
this may be a stupid question, but what does DVCV mean?

nevermind, think i figured it out.

correct me if im wrong but its the three pronged metal thing thats coming out of the intake in the rear.
I believe that the DVCV is a 3 prong vacuum fitting at the front of the motor for emissions. The threaded end went into a water jacket in the intake manifold and temp controlled its function. Since Clevelands did not have water passages in the manifold I believe that they were connected via heater hoses. I think you are thinking about the vacuum distribution port in the rear.

I am not 100% sure about this so hopefully someone else will confirm or correct me here.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After reseaching some more I actually found that this was discussed in this forum before.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-under-the-hood-mysteries-distributor-vaccum-control-valve

oh ok. i dont have a three pronged valve in the front of my engine. the only three pronged valve i have is on the back of the engine, on the intake. i can take a pic of my car tonight or tomorrow and show you exactly what im dealing with here

There WAS originally a three port vacuum fitting screwed into the water pump

and a two port vacuum fitting in-line with the heater hose on

my 73..351..2v car.

Now I have only 3 vacuum lines on the engine.

Brakes, AC/Heater, And Trans Modulator.

(A Hot-Rod Needs no extra Hoses LOL)

Dizzy is all Mech. Adv. and "All in @ 3K"

oh ok. i dont have a three pronged valve in the front of my engine. the only three pronged valve i have is on the back of the engine, on the intake. i can take a pic of my car tonight or tomorrow and show you exactly what im dealing with here
ok,

do you have a single or dual diaphragm distributor vacuum chamber?

if you have a dual one and are not having you car judged for points in mca, i would remove that and install a single diaphragm one . . the number is SMP VC31 or BWD V311 . . set it to add around 8 degrees of advance then test for detonation or just don;t use the dist vac at all . . i would also set you initial timing and advance curve to what is iptimum for yoyr engine.

the fitting in the back of the intake can be used for power brakes, auto trans and the other port goes to the missing valve on the front of your engine so just plug it and the rear port on your vac adv if it is a dual one.

ok, sorry it took a little bit for me to get back to you guys. i have a single diaphragm dizzy.

this is the port on the back of my intake i was taling about (barnett468 i believe pretty clarified it)

http://i.imgur.com/rmOKE67.jpg

this is the front of the engine, where the other port would be

http://i.imgur.com/M0P0etX.jpg
ok, the egr valve also goes to that fitting on the rear but i would not use an egr valve.

connect the dist vac valve to ported vac on the carb . . this is the one that has no vac at idle but has vac when you open the throttle.

your temp sender goes in the intake on top.

one of the water holes gets plugged it is where the dccv valve would go the other two go to the heater core.

ok, sorry it took a little bit for me to get back to you guys. i have a single diaphragm dizzy.

this is the port on the back of my intake i was taling about (barnett468 i believe pretty clarified it)

http://i.imgur.com/rmOKE67.jpg

this is the front of the engine, where the other port would be

http://i.imgur.com/M0P0etX.jpg
ok, the egr valve also goes to that fitting on the rear but i would not use an egr valve.

connect the dist vac valve to ported vac on the carb . . this is the one that has no vac at idle but has vac when you open the throttle.

your temp sender goes in the intake on top.

one of the water holes gets plugged it is where the dccv valve would go the other two go to the heater core.

Slight correction here on the water temp sensor, For the Cleveland motor there are no water passages on the intake. It is actually on the front face of the block in line with the radiator hose coming off the top of the motor.

Edit: Look here , scroll down a little and you will see a diagram of how it look on a 70 car. Probably similar on a 71 but this will give you an idea of how it was set up. This diagram is for a single line vacuum dizzy.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/626462-70-351c-ported-vacumn-switch-question.html

YES, IF THERE IS A SMALL HOLE IN YOUR BLOCK JUST BELOW THE T STAT HOUSING JUST ABOVE THE PUMP, THAT IS WHERE THE TEMP SENDER WOULD GO.

anyone know where i can buy a DCVC? im having a hard time trying to locate one

why do you want to make your car run worse?

also, this car also had a dual diaphragm dist vac chamber.

you can buy repo valves at any parts store . . look on ehay for origs.

I can send you a copy of the factory diagrams from my factory manuals for a 73, a lot of the vacuum lines are the same on these engines

i meant the dual diaphragm distributor vacuum chamber, sorry if i confused you. i thought that it only made the engine idle faster to get the radiator fans to blow faster. does it have any impact besides that? how would it make the engine run worse?

i meant the dual diaphragm distributor vacuum chamber, sorry if i confused you. i thought that it only made the engine idle faster to get the radiator fans to blow faster. does it have any impact besides that? how would it make the engine run worse?
it affects the ignition timing

Back