Sheet metal surface rust question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Does anyone have advice for this new project I have, it's a Galaxie I picked up.

The prior owner had bodywork done and then sanded the primer to apply sealer or paint but never got around to it.

Many areas where bare metal and many areas were thin primer which now developed mild surface rust over the years. there is no pitting just surface rust.

Should I use some kind of rust converter on the surface rust or just sand it down as clean as I can and primer/seal it?

I'm afraid the rust converter or acid will get into the existing primer and soak in, to later cause problems when it gets painted.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations on products to use as well.

I wouldn't use any rust converters. I have used about four brands of the over the counter brush on white and they are supposed to chemically transform it to a coating that preserves and protects. They didn't work. I haven't used POR rust encapsulating or Eastwood rust encapsulate coating. There are several rust removers out there that wash of the rust. They work by soaking or spraying on. You could set up a spray system with a shower head, small pump and some heavy plastic.

Simply,

ALL paint must be removed down to bare metal, and all metal must then be power sanded to remove any and all surface rust. If there is the slightest traces of rust still on the metal, use a RUST REMOVER such as PPG Deoxidine to finish removing any traces of rust on the metal surface. Do not use any rust converters at all.

However, it's very important to move straight into priming, as soon as you have wiped off ALL TRACES OF RUST REMOVER. Also, do not use rust remover over old or new Bondo or Bog as we call it in Australia.

Greg.:)

I have used Ospho for this with good results. You just need to make sure you neutralize it prior to painting.
+1 just reactivate the acid(ospho) with more ospho and wash it off while it is still wet. It's really cool to watch the stuff work on flash rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Ospho for this with good results. You just need to make sure you neutralize it prior to painting.
+1 just reactivate the acid(ospho) with more ospho and wash it off while it is still wet. It's really cool to watch the stuff work on flash rust.
You better make sure that if you used that stuff (acid) the paint shop knows about it..That stuff causes more paint failures than anything else!!!!!!!! Hate to say this but anything containing acid FOR YOUR EXTERIOR SHEET METAL is a big no no..ESPECIALLY IF YOUR USING EPOXY PRIMER..I KNOW THEY SAY just neutralize it BUT if you don't neutralize it PERFECTLY 110% YOUR SCREWED..It always rears it head down the road..It just a waste of time, money & labor The risk factor isn't worth it.

Back