Air Conditioning Upgrade for the 73 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In this video I show the calibration and installation of the Classic Auto Air perfect fit system under the dash in my 73 Coupe. It was a very easy install and once I get the engine and dash back in the vehicle, I'll do the next video to show the plumbing.

Hi Autoedit,

Thanks for posting your video on the Classic Air install. It's a good video, but i'm going to jump in here, and severely critic this system. Ironically, i was on the brink of putting up a fresh thread of my own, giving a review of this system,based on my own experience i had with it, and what i thought of it. You beat me to it in a way, but i will give my feedback to the forum in any event.

In 2012, i purchased a complete Classic Air Perfect Air Elite System for my '73 Mustang Convertible. My car never had factory air installed, so this was to be a complete new setup for aircon. I paid big money to have so called professionals install the system, and i have had nothing but ongoing trouble with the system not working correctly, still to this day. I have forked out hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top of the initial cost of purchase and installation to try and get this system working properly, and i'm still not happy with it.

For starters, the air output or air velocity is pathetic on my system. It's so weak, you have to have the blower speed up to max to get much effect at all. Secondly, the Electronic Water Control Valve was faulty from the start, and i had to pay around $200.00 to get a new replacement shipped out to me in Australia. Thirdly, i used my original heater control panel with this system, and the cabling had to be shortened and modified because as it was, the controls were not controlling the operation or full functions of the air conditioner properly. Fourthly, i had big problems with the compressor not turning off when i chose to try and heat up the car's interior. I am still trying to get around this issue, and in the next few days will be testing the system to see if it will work properly.Fifthly, every time i go to turn on the cold air, and the compressor kicks in, i experience a big horsepower drain from the motor. This system was promoted as having a low drain on the motor.

Lastly, i am using the original '73 heater control slider panel as i said before.

Who ever designed this system must have been on drugs. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but with modern day basic aircon systems in cars, you simply have a variable temp control, that can be adjusted from cold to hot when using any selection or combination of vents from around the car. ie - dash vents, windscreen vents, floor vents etc. So it does not matter what vents you choose to use, you will have total control of temp with any of these vents. With the Classic Air System,if the vent control lever is in Dash or Def position you only get cold air coming through (compressor on). When the control lever goes to Floor position, you only get hot air coming through. This is a non practical, complicated, not user friendly setup.

To summarize, this system is sold and promoted as a quality, easy to install,

good performing, unit. My experience has been the opposite, and has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning to now. I would rate this product as being 4 out of 10 at best. Very disappointed, and would not recommend it.

Greg.:(

Sorry to hear about all of those issues you are having, that's a bummer for sure. I picked this system because of previously installing it in a 70 Cougar and had great success and many happy miles with it. I hope you can get yours sorted out.

Wow, Greg. That sucks. I have to wonder if the people installing your system didn't do something right. I've installed my system, but haven't gotten the compressor belt situation squared away yet (non-factory A/C car as well).

But the vent selection, fan speeds, and warm or cool temperatures don't seem to be a problem with my system (again, compressor's not running because of no belt)... and I haven't even calibrated my control module, because I misplaced the little red calibration key.

Edit: I just realized/remembered I have the "Retrofit" system, and not the "Perfect Fit" system like you. Mine came with completely new "everything," since my heater core, fan, exchanger, controls and ducting were pretty much FUBAR'd. The only thing I'm still using from my original heater system is the defroster vents in the dashboard - everything else - gone.

Hi Greg, I remember we had a conversation about your air con awhile back and you telling me of the dramas you've had with this system. I said to you Greg that maybe the problem may lay with those that installed your system and maybe get another opinion from someone that has experience with these systems (don't know who, but there must be someone, especially here in Qld) because a few different people have these systems and not only have no trouble with them, but rave how great these systems are. Maybe Greg you did get a dud system, but surely the guys that installed it would've found the problem or a reason for it not to work as well as it should, not just here it is, see ya later. My thinking is, they've sold heaps of these systems all over the world with very few complaints (as I said maybe you got unlucky and got a dud) and if there is a problem, it should be able to be found and be able to be rectified. All I can think of to do Greg, is find someone that knows these systems and has plenty of experience with them, as I said Greg, I don't know of anybody, but check online maybe or try some of the restoration shops around, as a lot of older cars (both imported and local) over here have these systems, so there must be somebody out there that knows how these things, not only work but able to troubleshoot them as well. Anyway Greg I hope you can get it all sorted out.

Sorry to hear about all of those issues you are having, that's a bummer for sure. I picked this system because of previously installing it in a 70 Cougar and had great success and many happy miles with it. I hope you can get yours sorted out.
Thanks Auto edit,

from what your own experience has been, i have a hunch that your system being new, may have been upgraded or improved on from what i ended up buying a couple of years ago.Speaking in general terms, i know some companies use the buying public as guinea pigs for their products. They will secretly improve a new product,to better a previous model and not tell the consumers. I can't be sure, but i just may have been a victim of this myself.

Greg.:-/

Wow, Greg. That sucks. I have to wonder if the people installing your system didn't do something right. I've installed my system, but haven't gotten the compressor belt situation squared away yet (non-factory A/C car as well).

But the vent selection, fan speeds, and warm or cool temperatures don't seem to be a problem with my system (again, compressor's not running because of no belt)... and I haven't even calibrated my control module, because I misplaced the little red calibration key.

Edit: I just realized/remembered I have the "Retrofit" system, and not the "Perfect Fit" system like you. Mine came with completely new "everything," since my heater core, fan, exchanger, controls and ducting were pretty much FUBAR'd. The only thing I'm still using from my original heater system is the defroster vents in the dashboard - everything else - gone.
Hi Eric,

In regards the pro installers not getting it right, Yes, there is a small amount of that element with my overall situation i feel possibly. At the end of the day, i can't be 100% sure thought. Believe me, after the system was first installed, and ongoing problems imerged,i sacked the original installers, and then i employed good reputable mechanics and refrigeration men to help fix the problem ridden system. In my case the complete and entire dash was stripped down and removed to install the new system. All my original factory heater system was completely removed to make way for the new Elite system.

Thank you for posting this, I am planning on getting this system before the Central California summer of 2015. I look forward to seeing your other install videos of the rest of the system.
Good luck Sir if you end up buying their product. ( you may end up needing it!)

Greg.:s

Hi Greg, I remember we had a conversation about your air con awhile back and you telling me of the dramas you've had with this system. I said to you Greg that maybe the problem may lay with those that installed your system and maybe get another opinion from someone that has experience with these systems (don't know who, but there must be someone, especially here in Qld) because a few different people have these systems and not only have no trouble with them, but rave how great these systems are. Maybe Greg you did get a dud system, but surely the guys that installed it would've found the problem or a reason for it not to work as well as it should, not just here it is, see ya later. My thinking is, they've sold heaps of these systems all over the world with very few complaints (as I said maybe you got unlucky and got a dud) and if there is a problem, it should be able to be found and be able to be rectified. All I can think of to do Greg, is find someone that knows these systems and has plenty of experience with them, as I said Greg, I don't know of anybody, but check online maybe or try some of the restoration shops around, as a lot of older cars (both imported and local) over here have these systems, so there must be somebody out there that knows how these things, not only work but able to troubleshoot them as well. Anyway Greg I hope you can get it all sorted out.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for you kind feedback and suggestions. Yes, finding someone locally that intimately knows this brand and is very experienced would be ideal, but hard to find i think. Maybe worth looking around though. No matter which way you look at it, i believe i got sold a dud product, but just how many other consumers out there around the world that have ended up having problems similar or the same as me, i would only be guessing on, and would not really know. Also, i have not, but want to mention my mechanic and my dealings with phoning and contacting the company to try and rectify some of the problems that occurred. Not all that good in that regard i'm afraid. The tech phone reps were too busy telling both of us what they thought was causing the various troubles, and not listening to what we had to say on the issues. Also, trying to get a warranty claim established was next to impossible, and still is unresolved. Several promises from the company reps to follow up and contact both of us by phone and Email over the issues never happened. All in all, the back up service provided was very poor, and did not help my ongoing situation at all. Believe me, i am not a happy customer at all, and the whole deal has left a real bad taste in my mouth for sure. So for you, it could all be a win/win, for me it's been a Classic loose/loose.

Greg.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Autoedit,

Thanks for posting your video on the Classic Air install. It's a good video, but i'm going to jump in here, and severely critic this system. Ironically, i was on the brink of putting up a fresh thread of my own, giving a review of this system,based on my own experience i had with it, and what i thought of it. You beat me to it in a way, but i will give my feedback to the forum in any event.

In 2012, i purchased a complete Classic Air Perfect Air Elite System for my '73 Mustang Convertible. My car never had factory air installed, so this was to be a complete new setup for aircon. I paid big money to have so called professionals install the system, and i have had nothing but ongoing trouble with the system not working correctly, still to this day. I have forked out hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top of the initial cost of purchase and installation to try and get this system working properly, and i'm still not happy with it.

For starters, the air output or air velocity is pathetic on my system. It's so weak, you have to have the blower speed up to max to get much effect at all. Secondly, the Electronic Water Control Valve was faulty from the start, and i had to pay around $200.00 to get a new replacement shipped out to me in Australia. Thirdly, i used my original heater control panel with this system, and the cabling had to be shortened and modified because as it was, the controls were not controlling the operation or full functions of the air conditioner properly. Fourthly, i had big problems with the compressor not turning off when i chose to try and heat up the car's interior. I am still trying to get around this issue, and in the next few days will be testing the system to see if it will work properly.Fifthly, every time i go to turn on the cold air, and the compressor kicks in, i experience a big horsepower drain from the motor. This system was promoted as having a low drain on the motor.

Lastly, i am using the original '73 heater control slider panel as i said before.

Who ever designed this system must have been on drugs. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but with modern day basic aircon systems in cars, you simply have a variable temp control, that can be adjusted from cold to hot when using any selection or combination of vents from around the car. ie - dash vents, windscreen vents, floor vents etc. So it does not matter what vents you choose to use, you will have total control of temp with any of these vents. With the Classic Air System,if the vent control lever is in Dash or Def position you only get cold air coming through (compressor on). When the control lever goes to Floor position, you only get hot air coming through. This is a non practical, complicated, not user friendly setup.

To summarize, this system is sold and promoted as a quality, easy to install,

good performing, unit. My experience has been the opposite, and has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning to now. I would rate this product as being 4 out of 10 at best. Very disappointed, and would not recommend it.

Greg how about someone like ozrods in Brisbane they build a lot of high$$ cars and would of used your system bit. Maybe they can recommend a tech for you to get a second opinion from. Just a thought

Thanks Luke,

I'll give them a call.

Greg.:)

Hello Autoedit,

I have had taken some time to capture my thoughts, and would like to publicly apologise to yourself please.

I think i have done the wrong thing by you, and have hi jacked your thread in a manner of speaking. With good intention and good faith you have gone to the trouble of putting up your video for all the forum to see, learn, and enjoy, and respond to. I have come in with guns blazing, and shifted the entire focus of your thread,away from you, to focus on me and my personal problems with this Company and their product. I still stand by everything i have said in my reply review. However ......................

What i should have done, was to post my own thread, entirely separate from yours at another time. So please accept my sincere apology for doing that to your good self. I am sure the forum members will look forward to your follow up video in the near future.

Greg.

Autoedit... Great video on that part of the install. The system looks simple to install. My car has factory air and I see they sell a kit for factory air cars. I'll definitely check this out when my system quits. I'm not looking forward to tearing the dash out again. I've already replaced the heater core!!

Howdy Greg, I think we all understand what it's like to have such a tough time with something like that on our projects over the years so it's all good...but for you to take a moment and say sorry for the rant here is VERY cool!

Thanks for that and the greatest thing about this forum is the members...just look at all the help and advice that has been offered to you already! We all hope you get your system sorted and I'll see you around the forums.

Cheers,

Jason

With some hesitancy, I would say that my experience with the classic air auto system we installed last summer in my mach 1 was not all roses. In general it's a well thought out system, but there are definitely some issues. The mount for the compressor especially seems like it could be better thought out. You're not supposed to tilt the compressor past 180 but if you use the mount as it's designed to tension the belt you automatically push it past 180. A simple reversal of the side the hinge is on the mount mount would allow you to tension the belt and keep the compressor below 180. Some of the documentation on the install is inaccurate (or my car had been worked on before and altered). It was all workable, you could clearly see what they had meant after you fiddled with it a bit, it was things like an extra screw not mentioned or in a different place.

The biggest issue for me, is while they are responsive with tech support, my system has an odd whine to it, that no one was able to diagnose. I had conversed with tech support about it and sent them a video showing the behavior and tried a couple things they asked me to do and after awhile of going back and forth they just quit responding to me. I am still waiting for a reply, although they had said that if it wasn't the last thing we tried it was going to involve pulling out the system and sending it back to them for further diagnosis and I didn't want to do that.

I did have a different independent mechanic friend of mine look it over again and he couldn't figure out what the whine was either. He closed it with. "well it cools doesn't it? you can't fix what ain't broke."

It does cool, but the whine makes me nervous so I rarely use the system. The mechanic who helped me install the system was in general impressed with the design and there are definitely clever touches, so I don't want it to seem like I'm down on the system. It does save time and money from building it from scratch, but if I had to do it again, I might go a different way.

Certainly a lot of other people have had great experiences with theirs and perhaps my issues were caused by operator error on installation, which would fall on my shoulders.

Hi Greg, I know exactly what you mean about dealing with companies and their tech support. The best advice I can give you on that front is to keep at them and at them, never let it go and hang on like a Pitbull. When trying to resolve issues with products that are either faulty or don't perform as they should, the best thing to do is not get all hot under the collar about it, but either word it (email) or think it through (phone) and try to be as nice and polite about the situation (I know it sounds easier than it is, plus I know what gets the best results after years of dealings with parts companies) If you get to a stage where they stop responding to you or you're just going around in circles or they're just trying to pass the buck, then let them know (politely) that you're going to let people on car forums you frequent (let them think that you are on many) and in your car club (even if your not) about the lack of support of their products and that it seems that once they have taken your money, they don't really try to rectify the problem, but run you around in circles, but this is the best one I've found, just tell them that it seems like they don't really give a stuff because you're on the other side of the world and too far away for them to care about your problems with their product, but your good enough for them to take your money and that you thought dealing with them would be good if there was any problems with their products, that they'd stand behind them and sort it all out, but all that has happened has been one major disappointment after another. At the end of your email/phone call, let them know if this problem cannot be resolved by them, that you have to seriously consider legal action, but you wish for it not to get that far and would just like the problem fixed at their expense, as you've already spent considerably more money on this trying to get it fixed than it should have been. Before you go down that path Greg, you'll need to find someone with experience with these systems and go right through it with a fine tooth comb to make absolutely sure that the problem lay with the system itself. Maybe try Ozrods as Luke suggested as they do a lot of rods and older cars and a lot of these are fitted with A/C these days, if they can't, then maybe they can point you in the right direction. Anyway Greg all the best with it all, don't just give up and just keep at them. If you need help with this situation, just give me a call or send me a PM.

Hi Greg i am sad to see you have a issues again My friend! Yes it is a very sad thing that it's so expensive to get shipped out off US. But I hope you are close to have it working again? Regards Lars
Thanks Lars,

Yes, living away from America does make things extra expensive for sure. You would share my pain there as well i think.:(

Howdy Greg, I think we all understand what it's like to have such a tough time with something like that on our projects over the years so it's all good...but for you to take a moment and say sorry for the rant here is VERY cool!

Thanks for that and the greatest thing about this forum is the members...just look at all the help and advice that has been offered to you already! We all hope you get your system sorted and I'll see you around the forums.

Cheers,

Jason
Thank you Jason for being so kind and understanding. Yes, it is a really great forum to be on with a lot of top people to go with it. Like i said before, you do a great video, and it would be a good thing to see more in the future if circumstances permit for you. And yes, i will get my aircon system working properly, but all the extra expense and trouble has made the whole thing very unsatisfactory for me as you would understand.

Thanks again mate,

With some hesitancy, I would say that my experience with the classic air auto system we installed last summer in my mach 1 was not all roses. In general it's a well thought out system, but there are definitely some issues. The mount for the compressor especially seems like it could be better thought out. You're not supposed to tilt the compressor past 180 but if you use the mount as it's designed to tension the belt you automatically push it past 180. A simple reversal of the side the hinge is on the mount mount would allow you to tension the belt and keep the compressor below 180. Some of the documentation on the install is inaccurate (or my car had been worked on before and altered). It was all workable, you could clearly see what they had meant after you fiddled with it a bit, it was things like an extra screw not mentioned or in a different place.

The biggest issue for me, is while they are responsive with tech support, my system has an odd whine to it, that no one was able to diagnose. I had conversed with tech support about it and sent them a video showing the behavior and tried a couple things they asked me to do and after awhile of going back and forth they just quit responding to me. I am still waiting for a reply, although they had said that if it wasn't the last thing we tried it was going to involve pulling out the system and sending it back to them for further diagnosis and I didn't want to do that.

I did have a different independent mechanic friend of mine look it over again and he couldn't figure out what the whine was either. He closed it with. "well it cools doesn't it? you can't fix what ain't broke."

It does cool, but the whine makes me nervous so I rarely use the system. The mechanic who helped me install the system was in general impressed with the design and there are definitely clever touches, so I don't want it to seem like I'm down on the system. It does save time and money from building it from scratch, but if I had to do it again, I might go a different way.

Certainly a lot of other people have had great experiences with theirs and perhaps my issues were caused by operator error on installation, which would fall on my shoulders.
Hi ZAXWAX,

I would agree with everything you say here.You have raised a few interesting points here, which i honestly forgot to mention myself.Would you believe, my refrigeration mechanic also pointed out to me about the mounting angle of the compressor not being correct, and maybe would suffer from an oil problem in time because of that.Also, my compressor also makes a whining sound only when the engine is idling. My mechanic initially thought it might have been because my system was over gassed. But no, it was not, and he said to me, don't worry about it as well. Like you, the tech support never bothered getting back to me as well on many occaissions. Thanks for raising those points to the forum.

Hi Greg, I know exactly what you mean about dealing with companies and their tech support. The best advice I can give you on that front is to keep at them and at them, never let it go and hang on like a Pitbull. When trying to resolve issues with products that are either faulty or don't perform as they should, the best thing to do is not get all hot under the collar about it, but either word it (email) or think it through (phone) and try to be as nice and polite about the situation (I know it sounds easier than it is, plus I know what gets the best results after years of dealings with parts companies) If you get to a stage where they stop responding to you or you're just going around in circles or they're just trying to pass the buck, then let them know (politely) that you're going to let people on car forums you frequent (let them think that you are on many) and in your car club (even if your not) about the lack of support of their products and that it seems that once they have taken your money, they don't really try to rectify the problem, but run you around in circles, but this is the best one I've found, just tell them that it seems like they don't really give a stuff because you're on the other side of the world and too far away for them to care about your problems with their product, but your good enough for them to take your money and that you thought dealing with them would be good if there was any problems with their products, that they'd stand behind them and sort it all out, but all that has happened has been one major disappointment after another. At the end of your email/phone call, let them know if this problem cannot be resolved by them, that you have to seriously consider legal action, but you wish for it not to get that far and would just like the problem fixed at their expense, as you've already spent considerably more money on this trying to get it fixed than it should have been. Before you go down that path Greg, you'll need to find someone with experience with these systems and go right through it with a fine tooth comb to make absolutely sure that the problem lay with the system itself. Maybe try Ozrods as Luke suggested as they do a lot of rods and older cars and a lot of these are fitted with A/C these days, if they can't, then maybe they can point you in the right direction. Anyway Greg all the best with it all, don't just give up and just keep at them. If you need help with this situation, just give me a call or send me a PM.
Jason,

thank you for your good advice and help here. Every thing you say makes very good sense, and i will be following up with Classic Air and try to get matters rectified properly. I will try Ozrods too for info.Your offer of help is most appreciated too.

Cheers, Greg.:)

Hi Greg thank you for your response my freind [WINKING FACE] Yes there is a big cost of the shipping! But that's just the fact. But I hope that the company is thinking more about the costumer support in the future! Regards Lars 😀 I hope that you can have a good day mate[WINKING FACE]

Back