351C Stock Air Breather Fitment Issue with MSD Dizzy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
73 Mustang 351C

I am trying to go back to stock blue air breather with my Holley Carb (4160), it looks like the stock air breather fits Holley but the only problem its not fitting in the distributor side, I have MSD Electric Dizzy without vacuum advance. The gap on the breather is hitting dizzy. Look at pic please.

Do I need a spacer or a smaller dizzy. Thanks all

View attachment 25262

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue. The MSD dizzy sits higher and interferes with the air cleaner. I want to install Ram Air and am running into this issue right now. I am working on a modification to the air cleaner to make it fit in the area that you have marked in red. Putting in a spacer will work if you have the hood clearance.

Either, really. The point is boosting the mounting point of the air cleaner higher to clear the dizzy.

I wanted electronic ignition on mine, but didn't feel comfortable with everything I'd read (at the time) on the Pertronix (replacing the points in the original dizzy) - local availability was scarce, and there were differences between the I, II, & III versions regarding wiring that could affect functionality of things like the factory tach and charging system... no thanks.

Having essentially done the same thing on my '80 Jeep, I decided to convert the stock points over to the Ford Duraspark ignition - which still uses a factory-style distributor (and clears the Ram Air air cleaner just fine), and I can find replacement parts at any parts store for relatively cheap prices.

I also believe there are some aftermarket solutions that will fit like a factory-style dizzy as well... either Accel or maybe even MSD might have a performance unit with factory-like dimensions.

Hope that helps.

I ran the same setup and it will clear fine with a 1 inch spacer under the carb. Heres a pic of my old setup. MSD dizzy with Holley 750 DP and stock aircleaner.

2je19mq.jpg

Thank you all for the help, I think I will stick with 1 inch spacer under carb, Thanks Turtle5353

73 Mustang 351C

I am trying to go back to stock blue air breather with my Holley Carb (4160), it looks like the stock air breather fits Holley but the only problem its not fitting in the distributor side, I have MSD Electric Dizzy without vacuum advance. The gap on the breather is hitting dizzy. Look at pic please.

Do I need a spacer or a smaller dizzy. Thanks all
Also the air cleaner housing pictured here is not a 71, 72 or 73 unit

The small hole on the snorkle looks like a 70

I have the same issue. The MSD dizzy sits higher and interferes with the air cleaner. I want to install Ram Air and am running into this issue right now. I am working on a modification to the air cleaner to make it fit in the area that you have marked in red. Putting in a spacer will work if you have the hood clearance.
If you're going to Ram Air raising the cleaner to clear the MSD may not be an option, there is very little hood clearance "if any" with the stock set up.

Jim, I am not putting the RAM air, just putting stock air breather back on it, you think it will clear? Should I use Holley Carb Spacer or Air Cleaner Spacer? I know Air Cleaner Spacer is way easier? what you think

If your car is running well, I would go with the air cleaner spacer. Much easier, and you won't have to disturb or [potentially] modify anything, like linkages, hoses, etc., to accommodate any new height on the carb connections. Not to mention, won't need to replace the carb base gasket if it gets damaged in the process. Might have to get a slightly longer center rod to make up for the extra height needed for the lid of the air cleaner, though.

A small bit of space on a non Ram-Air air cleaner shouldn't make a big difference.

I used the plastic ring spacer on top of the carb for a while but I had 2 of them break on me. That's when I went with the 1" metal spacer under the carb. I don't believe I had to modify anything but did have to replace base gasket. I believe the gaskets came with the spacer as did the longer studs for the carb. Pretty easy swap that can be done in less than an hour. I have a ram air hood but no ram air cleaner or snorkels. Fits fine under there. If I remember right this is the one I used..... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1400/overview/ And it will supposedly give you a few more HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back