New member here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Hello,

I am new to the group trying to figure out the web site. I am 66 retired and have been a car nut all my life. Built my first car while in high school in 1964 / 65.

I worked in one of the old time NASCAR shops in Asheville while in Tech school and was a tool & die maker and had 30 years as and automotive tooling engineer. I have worked with all the U.S. car companies and some in Europe and also spent a year and half in China.

I will list the Mustangs I have. 1965 convertible 4-V, 4 speed, 1965 convertible 2-V Automatic, 1972 Mustang convertible Q automatic, 1972 Mustang Mach 1 T-5, Q, 4 speed, 1973 Mach 1 that I ordered new with every option on the list with 12,000 miles. Sadly it has sat in the barn for over 30 years engine poured full of oil to protect the cylinders and valves. 1973 Mustang convertible H code automatic California car.

I also have a 1984 20th. ann Mustang that I bought new and a 1985 Mustang SVO. So I am Mustang poor for sure. I also have 5 other older cars.

I will start on new garage as soon as the weather breaks here in the mountains. I do all my own work from mechanical to paint and also interior work.

I may be selling some of the cars not enough years left to do what I had hoped I bought lots of NOS Ford parts over the years and stashed in the garage for retirement and working on my cars.

I may be able to answer questions about how the cars were put together or how parts were made since I tooled car parts for over 40 years. You would not want to buy a car if you knew how much Ford paid for the bodies. A complete body ready to go to ecoat cost Ford less than a $1,000 for the most expensive ones. Exhaust system cost more than bodies in some cases as well as wiring harness. Would you believe it cost less than $15.00 to stamp a front fender? Company I was with made lots of Ford's aluminum trim parts including most of the grills for big cars and trucks. All the tooling is long gone but I kept some of the part blueprints.

If anyone is interested in tooling any parts I know lots of shops in China that do better work than most you see coming here today. I was engineering manager at a tool shop in China.

I will try to get some pictures posted of all my junk here. The registry page would not let me list the options on the 73 Mach 1 I guess it was too much, there were 27 options from factory on it.

Have a great day,

David

Welcome from Denmark.. :) Thanks for sharing your history, you have a lot of Mustangs and you has just entered the right place to talk about them, very nice.. Sounds like a nice collection of Mustangs.. What exactly did you order that Mach 1 with? Cool that you bought it from new and stills have it!

Howdy from Phoenix. Looks like you will be able to help out with a lot of knowledge and experience.

Once you have poked around a little on the site you might find that using the 'view new posts' is a great way to find what other folks have recently posted about.

Welcome to the site, from Derby NY. I am a retired tool & Die guy from the Ford (Buffalo) Stamping Plant I had over 38 years there. Went through a 4year apprentice program in the 70's. We use to build dies for other plants including some of Europe's plants. Seen a lot of changes over the years from laying out by center lines and hand grinding using plaster molds...

to computer designs and computers running machines of today. Less hands on today..

Welcome from Denmark.. :) Thanks for sharing your history, you have a lot of Mustangs and you has just entered the right place to talk about them, very nice.. Sounds like a nice collection of Mustangs.. What exactly did you order that Mach 1 with? Cool that you bought it from new and stills have it!
Daniel,

They told me I was crazy when I ordered the car and said they would sell me any LTD on the lot for less. When I said the mustangs would be worth something one day they all laughed.

This is what is on the window sticker.

Mustang Mach 1, Trim Rings W/Hub Caps, Dual Racing Mirrors, Competition Suspension, Color keyed Carpeting, All – Vinyl Bucket Seats.

351 CID 4V 8 Cylinder

Tutone Hood Paint

Ginger ¾ vinyl Roof

Four – Speed Manual Transmission With Hurst Shifter

Traction – Lok Differential

4 – F70 X 14 Wide Oval Belted BSW Tires / Raised White Ltrs Goodyear Brand Name Tires

Rear Deck Spoiler

Convenience Group

Power Steering

Tilt Steering Wheel

Leather – Wrapped Steering Wheel

Sport Deck – Rear Seat With 1 – F78 X 14 Space Saver Spare

Console

Power Front Disc Brakes

Front Color – Keyed Floor Mats

Air Conditioner – Selectaire

Electric Rear Window Defroster

Sterosonic Tape System

AM Radio

Interval Windshield Wipers

Mach 1 Sports Interior Option

Deluxe Belts

Tinted Glass – Complete

Power Side Windows

Forged Aluminum Wheels

Rear Bumper Guards

10 Gallons Gas

The invoice that I still have is for $5,203.92 I have never seen another mustang that cost more except the newer ones. The base dealer price for a Mach 1 was only $2,624.00 so the options almost equaled the cost of the base car.

What do you have in Denmark? Never been there been to Germany a few times but no long stays there. I do have a German model T-5 72 Mach 1 that a friend of mine wrecked and I bought to keep from crushing but seems nobody wants them and it is a Q car 4 speed.

Have a great day got to eat my dinner.

David

Another original owner...cool!

Welcome to the site David. We have a couple of other members in West NC that i've met who are great guys.

Back