Pertronix Billet Distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
The UPS man left a box from Summit at the garage today! We ordered up a new distributor for the Mach 1...it's a Pertronix Billet Flame Thrower with the Ignitor II module along with a 40,000 volt Flame Thrower epoxy filled coil. We were going to just replace the breaker points with the Ignitor II but it looks like the original dizzy on the car, so why not? For an extra bill we got the complete plug and play unit. Add to that a good timing and a little carb adjustment and she should run like a rapped date! :D

I got the one with the ignitor III.wish I got one with ignitor II.Mine has a rev limiter but I already have on on my second strike.And the one in the distributor I'm having trouble turning off.

Ok, I get more confused every time I think about this. I am buying parts a little at a time $100-200 each pay period in preparation for my journey. And I'm now at a stuck point. I already have the 45,000v Flame Thrower Coil and a new set of Pertronix wires so I'm pretty much decidated to a Pertronix II ignition but that is where I get bogged down.

I can buy the ignitorII and put it in the current distributor cap but if I'm replacing shouldn't that be replaced also? OK, so a Motorcraft distr. cap can be had for $20-25 plus prob a different rotor? Then there is the Pertronix cap and rotor for $35. Or should I simply spend the extra $140 and get the Billet plug and play kit. I really don't want to make the wrong decision and then have to go buy something else when I could have spent that money elsewhere. Any thoughts? Oh, and I guess the most important thing which one do I get 8cyl single point, 8cyl dual point w/o vac or 8cyl dual point w vac? I think I need the dual with vac, correct? It's for an unmodified 302 2v.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went through the same thing! The Ignitor II module was $99 and the whole Billet Dist. was $219 so I just got the whole thing mainly because the dist. was original and old looking and it would have needed a new cap and all. I just spent the $219, put it in, timed it and haven't looked back! So far, I love it! It was amazing how the new Dist. and fresh timing brought out the mild roll (thump) of the cam! I gotta get a video of how she sounds but my camera isn't working properly!

My only question is how much of a PITA will it be to get Pertronix parts if the dizzy (module) gives up?

For that reason alone, I'm considering going with a Ford TFI/Duraspark ignition system. I converted the stock AMC coil & cap & rotor to the Ford 300 coil & cap & rotor with a resistor wire to the Duraspark box on my '80 CJ-7 - all for less than $100.

Shouldn't be any problem finding similar Ford parts for the 315C and having a similar setup that will push almost the same performance gains (over points) - and still be able to find replacement parts at the 'local parts house du joir.'

Don't get me wrong - I love the Pertronix stuff... I just don't want to be stuck without being able to drive my Mustang (after it's ready) while waiting on "mail-order only" parts.

My only question is how much of a PITA will it be to get Pertronix parts if the dizzy (module) gives up?

For that reason alone, I'm considering going with a Ford TFI/Duraspark ignition system. I converted the stock AMC coil & cap & rotor to the Ford 300 coil & cap & rotor with a resistor wire to the Duraspark box on my '80 CJ-7 - all for less than $100.

Shouldn't be any problem finding similar Ford parts for the 315C and having a similar setup that will push almost the same performance gains (over points) - and still be able to find replacement parts at the 'local parts house du joir.'

Don't get me wrong - I love the Pertronix stuff... I just don't want to be stuck without being able to drive my Mustang (after it's ready) while waiting on "mail-order only" parts.
I got my petronix billet distributor from summit with the second strike {they have a kit } in about a week.I say buy the whole kit it is more expensive but after that it's done.I bought the ignitor II and one year later bought the kit with the second strike.It is a very easy install.And it looks damn good:D

And that's my only problem with it - gotta wait a week. Mine's going to be my daily driver once it's up and running. I don't have a problem hopping in the Jeep or her car to make a parts store run... but driving the Jeep as a commuter for the duration of the wait [for mail-order] isn't my first choice.

I'm still on the fence though - I'd like to hear more about if anybody's had any issues with their Pertronix distributors, and what the fix-actions (if any) were along with down-time experienced as a result.

you could keep a points distributor handy in case something does go wrong, but since the have no points they shouldn't be breaking or be worn down.I have had no problems that stop me from using the car with any of there products yet.And you have to remember I waited a week but I also live in Canada.

There's a Summit Racing in Nevada...they could probably have parts to you in 1-2 days! Or keep a spare Ignitor II module handy but I really don't see the need. These things look bulletproof (and sound like it from all the internet reviews I've read)

Back