Space saver spare tire for a Mustang 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Please advice for cleaning the rubber from a space saver spare tire and also what i best can do to make the metal wheel cleaner (removing the old paint or ...).

see pictures

Thanks,

Eddy

Eddy,

I did the same thing a while back on the one I bought for my car...

I used Comet and a scrub brush on rubber and after rinse and dry sprayed armor all on it. For the paint, you can sandblast and then paint or if not really rusty I would hand sand with 100/220 grit and then spray.

I did basically the same thing. I taped off and bead blasted the wheel, then inflated the tire and coated it with Vaseline. I then repainted the wheel. Wipe off the Vaseline and you don't have overspray, plus the tire had a nice shiny appearance, that helps protect the rubber.

Steve

Eddy,

I just joined the group and will throw in my two cents worth.

These are tough to find with the right date codes so many got trashed.

One thing I notice is that the valve in the wheel has not been replaced with the "safety valve". People actually got killed inflating these with an air hose instead of the canister. The canisters were not cheap back then and are very expensive now. They would pump the up too high and they explode. As they get older I am sure the will hold less pressure so be careful when inflating to clean. There was a factory recall to install the safety valve when they first came out.

For cleaning I have found that a product called Bleche-White does the best of anything I have tried. Leaves the tire looking like a new tire not a shiny greasy look. You can get at most automotive supplies or Wal Mart.

I would not put Armor All on anything.... If you use it on something and get it on a surface you want to pait you will have fish eyes. I know one paint shop here that someone took a bottle in and used and they had to almost tear the place apart to get rid of the fish eyes. It got into the air and pulled into the filters in the paint booth and it all had to be torn out and scrubbed to get rid of it. If you were to take a bottle into any automotive plant you would probably be arrested it would cost millions to clean out of their paint system.

You can also do your own test on a piece of vinyl apply it and put in sun and keep applying and it will become cloudy looking.

Just wash the wheel with prep solvent and either blast it or sand and repaint. I am sure you know there is a warning label that goes on the rim also you can get reprints of.

I can get some pictures of the valve and label if you need.

David

Thanks to Jeff / Steve and David for advice.

::thumb::

Picture from Jeff's space saver included, where to get those decals/labels/valve stem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've inflated all 4 of the ones I've owned with no problem and cleaned them with BleachWhite with great results.

next question:

Does anyone have a photo available how the Tire Inflator canister Bottle mount against the bracket (with a spring but i don't know how)?

I don't see it right on this picture...

Thanks again,

Eddy

Here you go...

v7qjpy.jpg

+1 on the Bleche White. That's the best tire cleaner I've found so far. It's just a cleaner - it doesn't make things look shiny like a "tire dressing" but that's exactly what you want when you're restoring something to original condition. You will be surprised at how much nasty stuff it will take off.

Best Mustang fans, thank you for advice.

Eddy

::thumb::
If you are looking for an OEM space saver, better save up your pennies. They are listed once in a while on EBay or Adhuntr.com (Craigs list world wide)..

If you just want a compact spare for emergencies, FYI,, I picked up a brand new, never used 1999 Ford LTD compact spare assembly at the local salvage yard for $20. Holes are 4 1/2" and it fits perfect..

Back