• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mach 1 NACA Hood for Sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opethlike

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a hood from a 73 mach 1, its a NACA hood. It does not have a rust issues but it does appear to have a little body filler.

I don't think I can ship this, I am near Augusta GA if you are interested in it.

Cash or trade

PM me a cash offer or I am willing to trade for 429/460 related parts for a 73 (frame to mount towers, headers, any condition 9inch rear end etc etc), black interior parts (everything but carpet needed), or whatever you might have.

11awy0i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks RacerX. I think its a good hood, I don't think the bondo is that deep and I surprisingly don't see any rust.

I have a hood from a 73 mach 1, its a NACA hood. It does not have a rust issues but it does appear to have a little body filler.

I don't think I can ship this, I am near Augusta GA if you are interested in it.

Cash or trade

PM me a cash offer or I am willing to trade for 429/460 related parts for a 73 (frame to mount towers, headers, any condition 9inch rear end etc etc), black interior parts (everything but carpet needed), or whatever you might have.

11awy0i.jpg
Looks like a piece of art. I would hang it on my wall

Hey,

Just a note about what the hood is called NACA. I should be NASA, National Aeronautics & Space Administration. NASA did the wind tunnel development for the shape used for the air inlets to establish the optimum air intake. Ford use it on this hood and the 84 - 86 SVO.

The instructor at our local Tech College Auto class is also a Bonneville racer. He runs a Mustang 2 body with a destroked GM engine that I think under 250 CI. He has joined the 200 mph class with it.

He had been running one of the scoops like you see on the Pro Street and Pro drag cars up high that is said to pick up more air. He has a friend that works in the wind tunnel for Ford in Atlanta he suggested he use the NASA design and get rid of the tall hood scoop. So he built a new hood and made his ram air using the NASA design. He took both hoods on his next run to Bonneville. He made several runs with the old hood and got everything dialed in. Car has electronic fuel injection that you program using lap top. He comes in changes the hood and makes another pass. The NASA hood scoop pulled in so much more air he melted several pistons due to fuel mix being lean. The hood does work just for reference.

I think they look mean,

David

I stripped it hood back a bit more to see what was under the bondo, no holes are rust. Looks like there are some little dings like maybe it had hail damage. This is a solid hood if someone wants to take the time with it.

Check it for a Pablo Picasso signature before you sell it, that sure looks like one of his rare abstract pieces he did later in life, he was around until 1973. In any case looks like a straight hood, good luck with the sale. ;)

Jim

Picasso Original painting done on the hood of the greatest car ever made, the Mach 1 Mustang.

$1,000,000

Hey,

Just a note about what the hood is called NACA. I should be NASA, National Aeronautics & Space Administration. NASA did the wind tunnel development for the shape used for the air inlets to establish the optimum air intake. Ford use it on this hood and the 84 - 86 SVO.

The instructor at our local Tech College Auto class is also a Bonneville racer. He runs a Mustang 2 body with a destroked GM engine that I think under 250 CI. He has joined the 200 mph class with it.

He had been running one of the scoops like you see on the Pro Street and Pro drag cars up high that is said to pick up more air. He has a friend that works in the wind tunnel for Ford in Atlanta he suggested he use the NASA design and get rid of the tall hood scoop. So he built a new hood and made his ram air using the NASA design. He took both hoods on his next run to Bonneville. He made several runs with the old hood and got everything dialed in. Car has electronic fuel injection that you program using lap top. He comes in changes the hood and makes another pass. The NASA hood scoop pulled in so much more air he melted several pistons due to fuel mix being lean. The hood does work just for reference.

I think they look mean,

David
He is correct NACA developed those scoops in 1945 , not NASA until later when renamed.

Hey,

I think they look mean,

David
I have had this question for a while and you guys probably have a good answer so let's put it out there for debate. We know that this NACA/NASA hood design is great for pushing air into the engine. So why will the dampers open only when you hit the gas all the way. Shouldn't they open at "highway" speeds as well to take advantage of that incoming air. At highway speeds you probably won't be going full throttle so the dampers would probably be close? Off course.... assuming "normal" driving. Shouldn't there be a speed at which the dampers should be open all the way? Or is rain water a possible issue?

Ram Air in our cars do nothing except for the "Cool looking" effect for our cars. There is no performance increase by having one. The operation of the flappers are controlled by the vacuum motor and the engine is producing the most vacuum at idle and steady state speeds. When in this scenario the high vacuum closes the flapper doors. When you stomp on the gas engine vacuum decreases and the doors open with the theory that the increased speed is forcing more air to the intake. Weather (rain) probably was a factor with Ford designing it this way.

Plymouth took this concept in a different direction. In the Roadrunner they had the "Air Grabber" which was an air scoop that the operator could manually open with a flip of the switch. Again it probably did nothing for performance but had that "cool factor"

Cash or trade

11awy0i.jpg
Hello,

Can we get some more pics of the hood looks pretty beat up on the right hand side in the middle. I am in Hendersonville N.C. so not too far away. I do have some 429 stuff but the hood would not be a good trade. I have I think a 1970 highway patrol engine and also a HD 429 that has a steel crank. The snout is larger dia. but can be cut down to CJ or SCJ. Also have a H.D. C6 that has cast iron tail shaft. I think I have the headers and all off the HP engine. I was looking for a 72 351 cj 4 bolt main standard bore also.

Take some pics inside and out.

Thanks,

David

I will take some more pics today. I stripped it further down and removed all the bondo. Appears to have some hail damage but I don't think it was enough damage to justify the amount of body fill I found.

If you want to PM me your phone number I will txt them to you later this afternoon

Back