Interested in opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeymach1

Reaction score
My Car
1989 Mustang GT owned since new. First car was a 1972 Gold Glow Mach 1
Looks like a solid car to start with. I'd be interested to know if it has the original engine. it's definitely a Cleveland, but the valve covers are on the wrong sides. Looks like it has been painted at least once. Did it have any body damage or rust? Gold Glow and black interior is one of my favorites! If I were looking to restore another car, I'd be a player.

-Travis

Yes, Cleveland with the VC's on backwards. That's unique.

I guess the blowby actuates the air cleaner flapper?

I like the coil primary wires grounded to the cleaner, too.

This is like a "Where's Waldo" or "Can You Find The ____" of auto parts game shows.

Potentially frightful purchase all around. Can't believe the bidding is where it is.

Looks like a solid car to start with. I'd be interested to know if it has the original engine. it's definitely a Cleveland, but the valve covers are on the wrong sides. Looks like it has been painted at least once. Did it have any body damage or rust? Gold Glow and black interior is one of my favorites! If I were looking to restore another car, I'd be a player.

-Travis
I love Gold Glow too, but I wish it had a ginger interior

If you are serious about buying this car, you should put some feelers out to see if one of our members that live in that area would check it out for you. From what I can see, the car doesn't seem to be hacked up. Just needs to be restored. If you have a solid base, half of your problems are solved. The rest is cosmetics. It's a Q code Mach 1 with the deluxe Mach 1 interior. Very desirable. I don't think this would be a good candidate for a "flipper", but I also don't think you'd be polishing a turd.

-Travis

If this conversation keeps up, I'm gonna go down and buy the damned thing! (just kidding, I wouldn't buy one out from under another member!)

The bidding is over $5500 and the reserve hasn't been met. If I were going to buy it with the intentions of restoring it for myself as a keeper (which it would be), I wouldn't give a second thought at paying somewhere between $7500-$8500. I took a close look at the pictures and I really don't see anything real bad. The body and under hood look to be unmolested and rust free. I'd be interested to see what the underside looks like.

-Travis

The car has been repainted. You can see the door tag has been taped off.

A gold glow Q code Mach 1 with A/C, 3.25s, black Mach 1 interior from SoCal would make a great car to restore.

Q code car ,missing all the A/C components under hood, valve covers on backwards, If the buyer doesn't know the difference between Cleveland and Windsor, what else is hidden. Also as has been mentioned how are the floor pans, trunk, cowl, etc??

The usual reason to remove the braces is to pull the engine or heads. Reversed valve covers indicates head removal. Missing fan shroud, a/c compressor, etc. makes me believe the engine was pulled and then everything just thrown back in.

I wouldn't buy it without an inspection. I don't know if you would get straight answers if you contacted the seller, as he doesn't even know what the engine is.

Interesting to watch this one. I personally would bow out at 5k without someone looking at it. It could be a diamond in the rough or could be a real headache. I'd like a bit more assurance of the former to lessen the gamble. But good for the current owner to keep the price climbing.

How about this strategy: Let some other idiot buy it, then figure out that they're in over their head and turn around and sell it at a loss when their wife gives them the ultimatum. Unless you can paint the car yourself, anything over 6 grand is a bit of a risk especially if you can't have someone knowledgable take a close look at it first. :D

How about this strategy: Let some other idiot buy it, then figure out that they're in over their head and turn around and sell it at a loss when their wife gives them the ultimatum. Unless you can paint the car yourself, anything over 6 grand is a bit of a risk especially if you can't have someone knowledgable take a close look at it first. :D
Top bid was $8100 and it didn't meet reserve. I called the guy twice (no answer) and left two ebay messages (no response). I wonder if the high bidder had more success than I did. Something seems amiss.

Back