New Ford GT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10600426_10205639325604796_2710280886820811880_n_zpsc3df7095.jpg

Times they are a changin'.

Because of all the technological advances, as long as it kicks ass I really don't care if it is powered by grapefruits.

I know many, including myself, have mentioned (sorry) that a new Mustang 6 cyl can outrun or at least hang with most cars on this site.

Ray

Yes, there are some some pretty awesome 6-cyl engines out there.

Many people today STILL seem to be basing thier perception of a new cars performance on its horespower ratings.

"Performance" to most American car enthusiasts is a 0-60 or maybe a 0-100 mph kind of thing.

How quickly the car can get up to speed is what many feel makes a car "fast".

I have driven plenty of the later-year 305-horse v-6 Mustangs and while they may feel "snappy", they certainly won't beat a late-80s 5-speed 5.0 liter Mustang off the line....with "only" 205-225 horsepower.

Why is that?

Torque, baby!

TORQUE is what moves the car. People tend to not compare torque ratings anymore.

Of course, newer cars have more power available over a much broader range of RPM, and many more multiples of gearing take better advantage of the available power, so they do in fact get more performance from far less cubes.

But, the final nail is not in the coffin for "old style" performance yet! Ols school can still kick some butt!

The new GT?

Boring to me. Too bland and smooth. Doesn't capture that vintage "ripped and muscular" look of the old one. Looks too Ferrari-ish to me.

The new Mustang is much the same to me. It has none of iconic "American bruiser" look to it. Just a smooth, aerodynamic sedan is all it is to me. Remove the Mustang-specific styling and it might as well be a Hyundai Genesis coupe.

I'm sure the V6 will have good performance, but just people's negative perception of a V6 is a reason enough not to use one in the new GT. I remember when the Jag XJ220 came out, it was the fastest car in the world for a short period, but it has always been criticised for having a V6 engine.

If that new GT came home with me, I wouldn't kick it out of bed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to see a Buick GN run. I think it turned a high 12 second quarter mile pass and the guy drove it home. It was impressive.

BTW it was a 6 cylinder...

Just sayin' technological advances are impressive. At least they are to me.

Ray

Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to see a Buick GN run. I think it turned a high 12 second quarter mile pass and the guy drove it home. It was impressive.

BTW it was a 6 cylinder...

Just sayin' technological advances are impressive. At least they are to me.

Ray
Oh yeah, I remember those cars and how upsetting they were to the Corvette guys of the day. I saw one on the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it with a price of 1K. That was around 2005-2006. It looked pretty decent as I recall. Remember thinking that I should have made an offer on it. But of course I let it go because I was to busy building a house at the time.

I took one look at the extensive grey plastic-looking ground effects, and wondered how a Honda Element got into that wreck.

Supercar jokes aside, I really do think the grey accents lend a very cheap look to the whole car. Gloss black would have given some credence to the overall package.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Torque, baby! <--- What he said!

Just too smooth. Back in the 80's Tony Hulman had a real GT40 in a museum of sorts in Terre Haute Indiana. I went there many times just to see it. It was crude, used, beat up, well raced, and above all... real. It had... flavor and meat to it. It told stories just sitting there and smelled like an old race car.

I can see none of that in this new, polished up, version. I'll pass

Back