Original Black 71-73 Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Does anyone here have an original-paint (not restored) factory-painted BLACK 71-73 Mustang?

I have never seen one EVER except for the famous "million mile" Mustang in a few magazines.

Any model, I don't care...if you have a pic, post it up!

Was "Black" an RPO color for 71 only? Is that why you asked for special-order 72/73 cars?

If so, that would help to explain why they seem so rare.

Years ago, someone I knew casually who claimed to have worked in a Ford plant told me that Ford did not like to paint cars black unless customer-ordered. Supposedly, only those bodies with above-average fit & finish would be "picked" for black paint, as that color showed all the flaws.

That always seemed like BS to me. Isn't the car "bucked" with a VIN and equipment list ( including paint color) long before it is actually built and ready for paint?

If so, how then could a "random" body be picked for black paint?

I have owned four brand new black Fords: 82 Mustang GT, 85 Turbo Coupe, 87 Turbo Coupe, and a 90 Super Coupe Anniversay car.

All of them had typical fit & finish...meaning: Not very good. Runs, orange-peel, bad panel gaps, crap body welds, etc...

The 82 GT was the worst: Bubbles in the paint, runs and hazy spots, badly aligned panels. And crazy orange peel...never seen worse.

But it is just typical of mass-produced cars of thier day.

Last edited:
Was "Black" an RPO color for 71 only? Is that why you asked for special-order 72/73 cars?

If so, that would help to explain why they seem so rare.
Yes, that is correct. Special order paint was the only option if you wanted a black Mustang is 72 or 73.

Ray

Back around 1980 when I was in between my '73 bad luck sportsroof, and the '71 Mach-1 there was a beautiful Black and Argent '72, or late 71, with hockey stripes Mach-1 that was in my neighborhood. (West U. if you know Houston) It looked to be highly optioned out, and original.

It was just a few blocks from my house, and I'd see it in the driveway every day coming home, at the time I wanted that car in the worst way, it was so nice.

Ironically...I found my 71 Mach-1, just a few blocks across Weslayen a short time later, from that black Mach-1. I always thought it was fate, or one heck of a coincidence.

I'd still like to find that Black Mach-1 again, it disappeared from the driveway around the late 80s, early 90s.

I've always wondered where that car ended up, as it was a really sharp car.

I have an original paint '71, but it's a project car waiting to happen and sat outside (reasonably dry climate) for 25 years before I bought it. The stripes and lettering had even flaked off. I took this pic when I got it with a low res camera, and it looks pretty much the same today. Maybe this spring I'll try and take a better pic.

Steve

PS. It's a 70,000 mile Boss 351.

BOSS2A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a black (w/Vermillion Mach 1 Sports Interior) '71 M-code at the local mini storage. It is black with argent stripes, but was a no-stripe car at one time from the side molding.

If I can ever gain access to that storage area again (was babysitting a friend's car there at the time), I'll have to get the VIN and Marti it.

-Kurt

I have an original paint '71, but it's a project car waiting to happen and sat outside (reasonably dry climate) for 25 years before I bought it. The stripes and lettering had even flaked off. I took this pic when I got it with a low res camera, and it looks pretty much the same today. Maybe this spring I'll try and take a better pic.

Steve

Steve,

That will make a very nice Boss 351. Thanks for the pic!

Ray

Steve

Steve,

That will make a very nice Boss 351. Thanks for the pic!

Ray
Thanks. As soon as I finish my current project, I'm starting on the Boss. It's my dream mustang.

Steve

This came up when I was looking around this morning. The comment about black vehicles getting more attention in paint is correct.

During a model change launch at the Ford Cleveland Ohio plant where they made the econoline van I asked to go into the paint area. I was a supplier to them and you had to be there during model change in case there is any issue. This takes a special letter from the pope, lol. I got my little has mat suit, hair net, booties and gloves and gained entrance. Everywhere I went people stopped me and wanted to know what I was there for, lol. Union worries about someone taking a job. One of the guys that was a supervisor invited me to his office and he was a big street rod guy. We talked and then went out and he took me through the entire line. There was an area that had "Highlight" lights all over and several people on each side. When a van came up that was due to be painted white they all sat down and did pretty much nothing. When a dark blue or black one came they got up and rubbed and sanded all over the place. So yes the dark colors are treated differently.

During the launch they would run builds down the line and would paint black to find any defects. I was out back one day and they have this huge crusher and the guy would pick up a perfect black body and sit it in the crusher and it would start to come down and he would push in on the side to make it fold inward. When it got down it would they fold the end up and he would put it on the stack and go get another.

I ordered a Maverick in 71 grabber green with black and yellow stripes and black vinyl roof. A guy bumped my front fender one day and when I was working the dent out and sanding it I discovered the car was painted twice at the factory. There were two distinct layers of color when you sanded it. It was not just a spot repair but the whole car. I was told that the paint was probably rejected and they sent it back through.

Talk to your Ford salesman if you ever order a new one and I think there is still a code for ordering a "Show Car" paint job. Ford does a better job on cars going to auto shows and events and you can apply the code to your car and get a great paint job for just a little more.

In 1973 I think it was $135.00 to get a non standard color on you Mustang. I was going to do it on my Mach 1 but they called and said they would have to put a chrome bumper on because they could not match the rubber one. The rubber bumpers come in already painted and were not painted with the car. I had picked a Lincoln color that was very dark brown metallic trying to get something you would never see again. So never say a color is not correct until you check the original paperwork they might have ordered it that way.

David

Bought my 71 Convertible a couple years agp from original owner.

He buys his wife a new convertible Mustang every year

then puts old one in barn.

In 1973 I think it was $135.00 to get a non standard color on you Mustang. I was going to do it on my Mach 1 but they called and said they would have to put a chrome bumper on because they could not match the rubber one.
Somebody at the dealership was BS'ing you, seeing as no chrome '73 front bumper was available.

Speaking of which, Lois Eminger's custom-painted, pink Mach 1 has a matching urethane front bumper. It's not a '73, but the theory applies.

-Kurt

Back