Third hood scoop?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opethlike

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a really really nice ram air hood I found and need. The guy wants next to nothing for it, but a hole has been cut in the middle (done neatly) so that a third scoop can be added. The guy before had a some sort of monster motor and needed the extra room for his air cleaner.

It had a boss style hood scoop on it at one time but not now, its just a hood with the hole. I am having a hard time imaging what this would look like and what scoop I could put on it (and im really worried its going to look stupid. Can that be patched?)

Anyone have a pic of a 71-73 where someone installed a scoop in the middle?

Last edited by a moderator:
"and I'm really worried its going to look stupid" I agree with you; most do.

I've seen many attempts and few if any look decent.

Because of the way hoods are made, I would think it very difficult to patch that area.

To do so properly, you would probably need to re-brace the underside. And it would probably be noticeable from the underside... And unless re-braced I'd bet it would warp easily.

Maybe the body & paint guys could chime in here but it might not be worth trying to repair.

Ray

The ONLY one I have seen that looks ok to me is in this pic on a Australian (falcon?)

But I don't know what scoop that is or what it might look like from the side, but every other one I have seen looks dumb.

2d0gvox.jpg

Because of the way hoods are made, I would think it very difficult to patch that area.

To do so properly, you would probably need to re-brace the underside. And it would probably be noticeable from the underside... And unless re-braced I'd bet it would warp easily.

Maybe the body & paint guys could chime in here but it might not be worth trying to repair.

Ray

The ONLY one I have seen that looks ok to me is in this pic on a Australian (falcon?)

But I don't know what scoop that is or what it might look like from the side, but every other one I have seen looks dumb.

2d0gvox.jpg

Ray
Looks like a locally made letter box scoop from the mid/late 80s. I would probs just try and find a new hood. The only half bearable way to have a third hole is with a reverse cowl scoop like this photo,but our falcons are a lot chunkier and more aggressive in styling than the clean aero shape of the mustang

nzg789.jpg
[/img]

I have a really really nice ram air hood I found and need. The guy wants next to nothing for it, but a hole has been cut in the middle (done neatly) so that a third scoop can be added. The guy before had a some sort of monster motor and needed the extra room for his air cleaner.

It had a boss style hood scoop on it at one time but not now, its just a hood with the hole. I am having a hard time imaging what this would look like and what scoop I could put on it (and im really worried its going to look stupid. Can that be patched?)

Anyone have a pic of a 71-73 where someone installed a scoop in the middle?
If you can have the cutted Ram-air hood next to nothing then go and grab it! Have a third scoop and bring it on!!! You’ll always get a good discussion about why did you cut a hole to your ram-air hood… :D
I did a hole to my ram-air hood but kept the sawed off piece just in case so the hood can be restored if so desired. Its not an big deal to tig weld it together since the lower part is still intact so it can be done perfectly even from the underside. I am not going to restore it though but I do also have the UP22/Dark Horse fiberglass products Dominator hood with the 3" cowl. I have not test fitted it yet but will do it in few months – I’ll have it painted to match the car. I’ll show you pics once done.

I am switching to different intake combo so I don’t want to cut my Ram-air hood anymore than it is now. Now I have the tall Boss 429 scoop installed as third scoop to ram-air hood, I like it but hate it when need to turn right… Otherwise I like my third scoop, but its mainly my problem, if I would always have done as other people tells me to do, I would be enjoying the 351c with automatic – nothing wrong with it though but it’s not my thing.

If you can throw the hood to my haulier Timmonsville SC I’ll buy the hood from you in case you don’t like it.

Looks like a locally made letter box scoop from the mid/late 80s. I would probs just try and find a new hood. The only half bearable way to have a third hole is with a reverse cowl scoop like this photo,but our falcons are a lot chunkier and more aggressive in styling than the clean aero shape of the mustang

nzg789.jpg
[/img]
The falcon GT 3rd style not too shabby..Cowl induction hood does not look too bad " and really works" I always have a issue with the 3rd scoop " unless you runing in nascar or a real race car ;)...Just ruins the look of such a great looking hood already in my eyes, you can stuff plenty of power under the hood without having to cutt..But if that is what you are stuck with using, by all means find the best looking version for you...But if you do the 3rd scoop, expect a lot of criticism down the road..I get a little lip about my red nostrals on my mustang...my black painted bumper..and my non matching black sport mirrors...but i think she looks great!! and i dont care too much about the lip...all counts on what you want. and no matter what you do, you can always find a diffrent hood later on if it bugs ya.

we'll, the more I look at it the more the third scoop looks like shit. I am gonna get the hood anyway who knows. Ill post some pics when I do

we'll, the more I look at it the more the third scoop looks like shit. I am gonna get the hood anyway who knows. Ill post some pics when I do
Dude, you just called my Mach 1 a turd!! :D So far only I’ve called it a turd, my friends call the scoop a “play house”. To be honest, I wouldn’t cut the hole anymore, would have been wiser to get an another hood when I was sawing the hole. But back then I was a flat broke student. But in your case if you can get a dirt cheap ram air with aircleaner hole I would buy it right away.

You could try to cover the hole with low profile app. 1985 GT Mustang scoop, its wide and low profile, could work. Or if you don’t want the third scoop get a blower or tunnelram :) As stated above if you don't like it, then swap it to new or uncut ram-air hood and sell the ol' one.

Back