TKO swap 73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
All my goodies from MDL arrived, I think opening the boxes is half the fun.

I will be pulling the FMX in the next month or so. Overall it seems pretty straight forward, given the plug and play nature of the awesome parts they sent.

One problem, zero instructions. They directed me to a website that had an article on it. Problem is the one part that I am having a brain fart on is not covered. Installing the clutch pedal in an auto car.

They sent me the new pedal and the bearings that ride on the shaft. I will be honest it is making me feel really stupid... Does anyone have any pics with a a description that could send me in the right direction? Would be appreciated.

Looking forward to your progress with photos. I will do the same on my 73 Mach 1 just debating when, with the Cleveland or post 427 Windsor.

From MDL @ Ebay

ilxbew.jpg

2eelkz5.jpg

I'm loving my TKO in my 71 429. Mine was already a 4 speed car though so that made it easier. Of course all I did was write the check for the transmission and install but the guys who did it said it went in without a hitch.

The issue with the above pictures is that they show a manual trans pedal support that already has the Ford OEM clutch pedal shaft aluminum bushings in it. If you are looking to add the pedal to an auto trans pedal support, there needs to be something for the pedal shaft to ride in, the auto trans support just has stamped holes in it.

Can you post pics of what comes in the MDL kit?

I know what you are talking about as I'm in the process of adding a clutch pedal to my auto trans pedal support. The area in red in the pic below has an aluminum bushing swaged into it from Ford for the manual trans pedal to pivot in...

Auto trans pedal support.JPG

It is starting to make alot more sense :) Now just need to figure out how the cable attaches. Here is a pic of the bearing kit. I assume it takes up that void where they simply have the holes cut and gives the clutch pedal something to ride on.

clutch.jpg

Thats great, thanks!

This might be a dumb question...... What brings the pedal back to the top without a return spring, is it simply the pressure plate rebouding?

Last edited by a moderator:
From MDL Website:

How do I know the clutch cable is adjusted correctly?

When the clutch cable is adjusted properly, there should be little to no slack in the cable. Most of the adjustment is done at the bellhousing end with fine adjustments made at the firewall. Making the cable too tight will preload the throw out bearing and reduce the disk clamp load.

Why is the big clutch pedal return spring not used when installing a clutch cable kit?

When installing a Modern Driveline clutch cable kit, the only return spring that is used is the clutch pressure plate. This is the same way the 1980's and later Mustangs are designed.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/md_faqs/CC_1.shtml#02136880

Last edited by a moderator:
Back