Engine Bay Wire Tuck

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehcode

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Hcode in grabber green metallic
Ive had this plan for how is was going to tuck the harness a couple weeks ago and was finally able to make it happen this afternoon.ill do a step by step for anyone wanting to do this.its not completely finished by any means as I might relocate the voltage regulator depending on turning radius.im open to any input on improvements. First off I started with a holesaw kit and went ahead and hooked the firewall grommet up made a 2inch hole slightly above it.
346lus9.jpg
111pcfn.jpg
a few months back I welded 4studs under the driver side apron for whatever I might need to mount and it looks like its going to work out perfect for the horns
30hmxrn.jpg
next I drilled a 1.75 inch hole through the apron right behind where it meets the radiator support
332njgl.jpg
then I took a diegrinder and trimmed the two openings under the radiator support to fit the light sockets through
14dfzsx.jpg
v32fdw.jpg
next I cut a 1.25 inch hole through the passenger apron where it meets the rad support
2iar8er.jpg
I had also welded 2 studs on the passenger side for the starter solenoid final product once everything is tied up
2e3cs4l.jpg
all you'll really see is the wiper motor plug and a few wires running to the block.
dz9to6.jpg

I like it!

With the S Solenoid and Regulator mounted there don't drive in the rain.

A 1-wire alternator will eliminate the regulator

Perhaps a shield for the solenoid.

Some vacuum line cut to length and slit makes a good grommet BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea on the shield and that was my plan for a grommet after its painted. Hopefully the car will never be in the rain unless I get caught in it

I did the same but since I repaired my firewall I put the hole on the fender side of the firewall , got a 1 wire alternator and moved the starting relay to the back of the pass side shock tower on the inside. I ran all the wires for it through the pass side fire wall . Horn will be in driver side wheel well, 20161021_204350.jpg

God job

I routed mine in a flextube, easy to remove wires from if you want or ad wires to. But of course you can see it

routing.jpg

God job

I routed mine in a flextube, easy to remove wires from if you want or ad wires to. But of course you can see it

No I can't I am too busy looking at that engine!

Nice job OP! I had some electronics I wanted to keep away from the rain and such. I found a 'tupper wear' about the right size and used grommits for the wires coming in and out. It has worked really well.

You guys have a lot of good ideas. Makes it easy for when I do mine. Ryan

Robsweden,

Nice looking there. Where did you mount your Hi and Low horns? Also, Do you miss the windshield washer bottle? I am debating whether or not to place my spark box in the same location. Maybe with these solutions here, It may make help in my decisions in what direction to go in.

mustang7173 :bravo:

God job

God job

Interesting choice of msd6a box location, also your alternator belt any reason for it to be that type?

Robsweden,

Nice looking there. Where did you mount your Hi and Low horns? Also, Do you miss the windshield washer bottle? I am debating whether or not to place my spark box in the same location. Maybe with these solutions here, It may make help in my decisions in what direction to go in.

God job

Thank you :) The windshield water bottle is just away for the moment , I had to replace a broken washer motor. It sits just fine beside the box. The horns are mounted in the front Square hole but not on the radiator side. Just beside the headlamps. Ive seen them mounted in various places :)

God job

Interesting choice of msd6a box location, also your alternator belt any reason for it to be that type?
I really liked the style of the glimmer belt, its also way cheaper then buying separate pulleys. I didnt wan to put my old ones on the new Engine.

Robsweden,

God job

Thank you :) The windshield water bottle is just away for the moment , I had to replace a broken washer motor. It sits just fine beside the box. The horns are mounted in the front Square hole but not on the radiator side. Just beside the headlamps. Ive seen them mounted in various places :)

Hello Robsweden

The horn location is an interesting location. I will take a look to make sure that there will be no interference with the A/C lines. The horn mounted on the shock tower wire connector, was extended, correct?

Thanks,

Mustan7173

Robsweden,

Hello Robsweden

The horn location is an interesting location. I will take a look to make sure that there will be no interference with the A/C lines. The horn mounted on the shock tower wire connector, was extended, correct?

Thanks,

Mustan7173
Hi

Here you can se how they sit, it was mounted like that when I bought the car. The wiring was spliced in some way. I replaced all the wiring with the EZ wiring so It hade splice in it, comming from the horn relay.

Regards Rob

horns.jpg

Robsweden,

Merry Christmas! can you take pictures of the starter relay and to the distributor wiring area?

Thank You!

mustang7173

God job

No problems hope this helps.

There is not so much wiring with the MSD Box.

One wire alternator direct to Battery

Used a split for the other + cables

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Regards Rob

Back