Rear window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I have read most of the rear window install issues on this site, and just have a couple questions, I bought the 1/4" by 3/4" closed cell foam that the ford assembly manuals call for, do you just lay it on top of the headliner/sail panel material? Also, Do you put the foam on the bottom track? The manual says to use some kind of sealer between the 2 (X) points per illustration, is this a regular window adhesive? I will be washing the new gasket today, and have already bought my nylon rope, I just want to hear what has worked for some of you. I don't plan on driving in the rain or snow (obviously), but do want to wash the car once in a while, whats the best materials/method to sealing these things? PS: I was thinking of just hiring a "pro" to do the job, do they usually know what they are doing?

I have read most of the rear window install issues on this site, and just have a couple questions, I bought the 1/4" by 3/4" closed cell foam that the ford assembly manuals call for, do you just lay it on top of the headliner/sail panel material? Also, Do you put the foam on the bottom track? The manual says to use some kind of sealer between the 2 (X) points per illustration, is this a regular window adhesive? I will be washing the new gasket today, and have already bought my nylon rope, I just want to hear what has worked for some of you. I don't plan on driving in the rain or snow (obviously), but do want to wash the car once in a while, whats the best materials/method to sealing these things? PS: I was thinking of just hiring a "pro" to do the job, do they usually know what they are doing?
Just finished mine and used the same foam on the window ledge placed on top of the glued headliner that is stretched over the lip. Then installed the glass with gasket and nylon rope inserted in the gasket channel. Once the glass is set square start pulling on the rope from the interior starting from the top of the deck lid working a foot at a time. As you are working on the inside have someone putting pressure on the window edges as you pull the rope. Once you get to the top center the window it should drop almost 1/4" From the outside I had slapped the glass until it was completely set. Next I used the window sealer with caulking gun and sealed both crevices generously. (Sandwiched). I don't think this style if exact factory specs...water tested a week later with some pressure and no leaks.

Just finished mine and used the same foam on the window ledge placed on top of the glued headliner that is stretched over the lip. Then installed the glass with gasket and nylon rope inserted in the gasket channel. Once the glass is set square start pulling on the rope from the interior starting from the top of the deck lid working a foot at a time. As you are working on the inside have someone putting pressure on the window edges as you pull the rope. Once you get to the top center the window it should drop almost 1/4" From the outside I had slapped the glass until it was completely set. Next I used the window sealer with caulking gun and sealed both crevices generously. (Sandwiched). I don't think this style if exact factory specs...water tested a week later with some pressure and no leaks.
+1, I did the same.

Do you remember the brand/type window sealer you used? I have the window set, just have to seal everything up now. Also I bought the repop chrome for my rear window, should I try to install it or just use a 2 sided tape to put it on?

Back