Vinyl Wrap Option

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Coupe 351c
I tested the Avery Supreme Vinyl Wrap material on my car.

I thought of painting the car myself but there are no paint booths for rent

and the cost of paint UGG.

I bought some Silver Metallic and some Satin Black to test the application

to see if it is an option from paint for those of us on a budget.

I got enough to do a door and the lower 1/3 two tone silver and black.

I watched several utube vids and was comfortable doing the 2-tone colors

and the ease of installation was surprising. The material is really easy to

work with and the results are AMAZING!

I spent abt $50 to do a door and figure the whole car will be abt $600.

My wife was blown away and said it looks like paint and nobody would

know different and I'm not going to jail for painting a car in a garage in

CA from the EPA police.

Photos to come soon when weather is good.

Paul

NASCAR wraps all of their stuff nowadays. They don't paint too many pieces like they used to. I've watched some vids of those cars being wrapped, and they make it look easy. The material looks to be easier to do compound curves with using heat (a propane torch!! eeeek) than the old regular colored material is/was. I'm sure they wouldn't use the material if it weren't top notch.

Back in the day (about 10 years ago), doing slab sided cars like this one was somewhat easy. Biggest pain was layering all of the colors. This one used 13, and took me 2 days just to install. The blue was a thick chrome mylar, and all of the green was hand cut. Car started out solid white. This job was not cheap. Wraps are more durable now, and more cost effective.

I would guess that wrapping a dirt late model like this one should only take an hour or 2.

72m-073004.jpg

Can't wait to see your car done. Go slow, especially with the compound curve areas. Enjoy the project, sounds like a good idea!

The center blackout on my hood is a wrap and it looks just like paint. I like that stuff a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

I spent the winter replacing all of the front suspension and now I can

start back on the bodywork and vinyl wrap.

I had wrapped the pass door before winter set in and today I wrapped

the front fender. I should get the rear quarter done in a couple weeks.

FYI One side will cost $200 in two tone.

2cr9074.jpg

1znblhe.jpg

2w1z7mx.jpg

33d8rax.jpg

sorry about the photo quality i will get some better shots

after the whole side is done.

Regards

Paul

Sah-WEET!! ::thumb::

NICE!!

I'd thought about doing the TuTone and hockey stripes in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber, but the West Texas sun would eat it all up in a matter of months.

This is awesome! I really hope it works for you - looks like you're doing an excellent job! Can't wait to see more. ::thumb::

WOW I was not expecting something like that to look that good. Great job! I have to do some research on this, I wonder how the longevity of this stuff is and what materials you can put this on. Could have a lot of great uses besides for cars if it is durable. Also wondering how the upkeep on something like this is.

Hmm.. I can wrap my laptop with this stuff.. LOL

Many fleet cars are simply wrapped instead of painted, so you can sell them off afterwards.

German taxis have been like that for years. They are all kinda egg shell off white, almost light mustard color. Butt ugly.

So they just wrap them and after a few years they have beautiful shiny black or silver cars that they can sell.

It keeps up very well, can go through a car wash etc.

Only thing is you need to have a very clean surface to apply it to, just like if you would paint. That stuff shows imperfections very clearly.

I read that many primers are not durable or water resistant without paint, so I wonder if this might cause issues here.

We have been wrapping our company cars for ten years now. In Arizona the sun does a number as they are never garaged. We only get about two to three years before the wrap fades and then starts to crack. The early wraps actually ruined the paint under them as the image burned into the clear coat. They have come along way since then and the price has dropped as well

I spent last year working in China and the wraps are all the rage there. You see all Chrome cars, Gold cars, Satin finish etc. The only place I could see to tell it was a wrap was they had a seam down the middle of the hood. You would see exotics $100,000 + cars with a different warp every couple months. They want to show their money there for sure.

You would start to see it lifting in tight corners after a short time don't know if you can get it back down or not.

I was wondering if you could use the chrome wrap to do Magnum 500 wheels since there seems to be nobody that will re chrome them?

David

Is vinyl wrap what commercial companies use to put advertising on their cars/trucks/SUV's?

Yes Vinyl is popular for businesses.

Other people have bumped this thread so I'll post new pics:

209lkwp.jpg

10s6te8.jpg

I need to get the front valence painted but this is where its at.

If you don't like the fender decal keep it to yourself.

Cheers

Paul

If you don't like the fender decal keep it to yourself.
What if I DO like it? :)

Well, I like the whole job, man.

It came out great! The whole package works well together.

I think it look pretty damn nice, myself. Awesome job!! ::thumb::

It's going to sound a little weird coming from me, but I think that car would look absolutely smokin' sitting just a few inches lower. :p

Back