Building your "Dream Garage"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Pretty new here but like to see all the "Big" Mustangs getting some attention. You sure cannot expect to fix one and sell for a profit if done right.

I have taken a big step I have delayed for two divorces and helping take care of my parents. I am starting on my dream garage next week. I went to the permit office last Friday and started the ball rolling by paying my $60.00 for the "Environmental Inspection" to be done. No that is not to see if some near extinct animal or plant lives here they tell me it is to see if the new building will interfere with the current septic tank or drain field.

My garage will be 80' X 50' with no supports in the floor, wide open space. It will host a 2 post lift and a couple of the lifts to stack the cars or park one under another. A rotisserie for rebuilds. A weld fixture for floor / frame repair.

There will be the engine lift and several engine stands. Work benches and also a paint / sanding area with air dryer. You cannot have a real paint booth in your residential garage they are regulated by the EPA and have to be inspected and soil samples are taken and then testing is done over time and if you pollute you have to clean it up.

So I plan on putting together a spread sheet and track all the costs so that all the members can see what it costs to build a nice work area and garage.

I have opted for an all steel construction and will post later the plan of the garage.

I am going to try to spend every cent I can so the kids won't have to worry about that. They will just have to go by my will and flip a coin to see who chooses the first car and take turns after that.

My cars, new to old not including what I drive. 1985 SVO Mustang, 1984 20th. Ann. Mustang original owner, 1973 Mach 1 Q, 4 speed original owner 12,000 miles every option, 1973 Mustang convertible H code Auto California car, 1972 Mustang Convertible Q code Auto built engine, 1972 Mach 1 T-5 German Q, 4 speed, 1965 Mustang convertible, A 4 speed, 1965 Mustang convertible, C Auto, 1956 Ford Club Sedan second owner, 292 4V 3 spd. overdrive, 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe 2 dr. my first car with full built flathead in family since 1952, 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe 2 dr. with 16,000 original miles barn find, 1950 Ford Business coupe with 4.6 SOHC highway patrol drivetrain, 1950 Ford Deluxe 2 door sedan.

I do not know if I will get the first one done but I will have somewhere to try.

I will post updates to the garage and answer any questions I can on the process.

The picture is the empty field with some flags for doing layout.

David

Jan. 26, 2015

Ok the environmental guy was here today and gave the ok to proceed with the garage hurray.

Got to get serious with the building people now do any of you have any suggested suppliers?

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! 50x80 is a nice size. I did a 40x80 and wish I had another five feet. Cars that are just sitting are parked sideways along the back wall. Just a couple of feet added to my 40' wall would make life much easier.

The problem with having space is it becomes difficult to not pick up more projects. It fills up fast.

With a small loft that had a bedroom and a kitchen overlooking the shop, you'd be building my dream HOUSE! LOL. Nice going on all the sweet choices you made in choosing your cars. Would love to see an overall photo with them all in your new garage. Good luck with the build!

Congrats! I was able to convince my better half that we should leave our subdivision and move to place that already had a building on it. It was 40x60 and I'm already wishing it was bigger! I went from an attached 2.5 car to this, it is awesome for sure:

P1030834.JPG

Congrats! I was able to convince my better half that we should leave our subdivision and move to place that already had a building on it. It was 40x60 and I'm already wishing it was bigger! I went from an attached 2.5 car to this, it is awesome for sure:
Wow a wife that would agree to that is a keeper. I had one the kept me from buying shelbys before they were expensive.

I think I see a 64 and a 56 club sedan there. Do you need a rear bumper for either? I have already plated 64 and I think I have a 56 with thru the bumper exhaust just a core.

David

I consider myself pretty lucky that she tolerates and sometimes enables my car problem!

Thanks for the bumper offer, but I've actually been trying to unload the Galaxie as it is just a distraction that I don't really have time for. The time and money I spent on it should have gone into something that I was in for the long haul. The 56 is a long term thing, I'm trying to stay focused on the Mach 1.

Pretty new here but like to see all the "Big" Mustangs getting some attention. You sure cannot expect to fix one and sell for a profit if done right.

I have taken a big step I have delayed for two divorces and helping take care of my parents. I am starting on my dream garage next week. I went to the permit office last Friday and started the ball rolling by paying my $60.00 for the "Environmental Inspection" to be done. No that is not to see if some near extinct animal or plant lives here they tell me it is to see if the new building will interfere with the current septic tank or drain field.

My garage will be 80' X 50' with no supports in the floor, wide open space. It will host a 2 post lift and a couple of the lifts to stack the cars or park one under another. A rotisserie for rebuilds. A weld fixture for floor / frame repair.

There will be the engine lift and several engine stands. Work benches and also a paint / sanding area with air dryer. You cannot have a real paint booth in your residential garage they are regulated by the EPA and have to be inspected and soil samples are taken and then testing is done over time and if you pollute you have to clean it up.

So I plan on putting together a spread sheet and track all the costs so that all the members can see what it costs to build a nice work area and garage.

I have opted for an all steel construction and will post later the plan of the garage.

I am going to try to spend every cent I can so the kids won't have to worry about that. They will just have to go by my will and flip a coin to see who chooses the first car and take turns after that.

My cars, new to old not including what I drive. 1985 SVO Mustang, 1984 20th. Ann. Mustang original owner, 1973 Mach 1 Q, 4 speed original owner 12,000 miles every option, 1973 Mustang convertible H code Auto California car, 1972 Mustang Convertible Q code Auto built engine, 1972 Mach 1 T-5 German Q, 4 speed, 1965 Mustang convertible, A 4 speed, 1965 Mustang convertible, C Auto, 1956 Ford Club Sedan second owner, 292 4V 3 spd. overdrive, 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe 2 dr. my first car with full built flathead in family since 1952, 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe 2 dr. with 16,000 original miles barn find, 1950 Ford Business coupe with 4.6 SOHC highway patrol drivetrain, 1950 Ford Deluxe 2 door sedan.

I do not know if I will get the first one done but I will have somewhere to try.

I will post updates to the garage and answer any questions I can on the process.

The picture is the empty field with some flags for doing layout.

David

Jan. 26, 2015

Ok the environmental guy was here today and gave the ok to proceed with the garage hurray.

Got to get serious with the building people now do any of you have any suggested suppliers?

David
So where are you on your garage build? Would love to see the progress!

It has been a crazy spring here. I never stops raining long enough to dry up and get the grading done. I took a month off and went to Cuba before the open the flood gates. Traveled around and found a few interesting very old cars. I think one is maybe near the first year for Cadillac.

Back to the garage. When the contractor came and shot the site with laser it was determined that I would need 50 loads of clean fill dirt. With all the rain you cannot move the dirt and pack it to meet the requirements. If it does not rain this week hope next week is the kick off. There are several cars that have to be moved also tried twice but just get stuck in the mud. Got to sell a 1950 ford panel truck a 1966 ranchero parts car and there are a couple 65 mustangs that have to move out of the way. A couple years ago we had like never ending rain something like 48" for the year

I have been trying to work on one of the convertibles I bought just to get it so I can drive it but not garage is tough.

Well back out taking some parts off the 72 parts convertible I bought need the radio connector off it to go on the driver I am working on. Almost have the tilt column out just the rag joint and it looks shot so might just cut it.

David

Several year back around Christmas time a flat bed drops off a Caterpillar in our pasture - My wife says "Merry Christmas".

I asked if she had got a bulldozer for me and she say no that she had got me a 30x50 detached workshop with a 12 foot overhang for our camper.

Later she informed me that she just wanted HER garage back.

Scored a lift and life is good.

11az9f5.jpg

- Paul of Mo

Several year back around Christmas time a flat bed drops off a Caterpillar in our pasture - My wife says "Merry Christmas".

I asked if she had got a bulldozer for me and she say no that she had got me a 30x50 detached workshop with a 12 foot overhang for our camper.

11az9f5.jpg

Great looking building. What lift do you put in been looking at two post?

Some of you guys lucked out on the wife. I had one that did not know how to use the word yes. Going to stay single if I want to work all night I can and nobody to fuss about my greasy clothes.

- Paul of Mo

11az9f5.jpg

Great looking building. What lift do you put in been looking at two post?

Some of you guys lucked out on the wife. I had one that did not know how to use the word yes. Going to stay single if I want to work all night I can and nobody to fuss about my greasy clothes.

- Paul of Mo
Thanks - best Christmas gift to date!

We got a used 7,ooo lb Rotary 2 post lift from a local car dealership that got shut down during the "auto bailout".

I would recommend that you pay to have it professionally installed - It is not all that expensive and could save some heartache later on.

They took it down - serviced it - brought it 30 miles out to our place - installed it - all for a flat $500.00

It looks like these are available for around $1500 all day long on CL. I would buy one that is still installed if possible so you can see it operate.

2je5o94.jpg

Good luck on the project!

- Paul of Mo

I just got done building my dad a shop that we do all of our work out of, they do fill up fast, all we could afford was 40x60

Back