Originality of wheel trim moldings on 73 Mach 1's ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
The question would be to all the knowledgeable 1973 owners and anyone else possessing good understanding of the 73 model Mustangs:

Could a 1973 Mach 1 be factory ordered with wheel lip moldings?

My initial thought is no but Don (OMS) at Ohio Mustang thinks 1973 Mach's could have been so equipped from the factory.

To be honest - I am not so sure either way. Any help would be appreciated. I am not near my literature now so I can't search... :(

THANKS AGAIN!

Ray

71-73 Mach 1s could not be ordered with bright wheel-house trim or rocker moldings. The 71-72 Machs could not be ordered with horizontal edge gaurds, but the 73 Machs could ( in black only).

The "dechromed" look was part of the "sporty" theme of the mach 1. However, MANY dealerships installed those parts once the cars landed at the dealer.

Last edited:
When looking through all the available options list for 1973 there is no bright trim moldings that I see called out separately.

Interesting though is that my 73 has the factory holes for it in both the quarters and fenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
When looking through all the available options list for 1973 there is no bright trim moldings that I see called out separately.

Interesting though is that my 73 has the factory drilled holes for it in both the quarters and fenders.
The wholes were not drilled...My 73 conv. also has the holes and never had the trim moldings because I ordered it with the decor group.

Those holes were punched ( I know because I worked in Tool & Die at Ford). all the panels at the stamping plant were punched so they could add the moldings if they came on that particular model. So they could use the same part for different models.

I don't think the moldings were a seperate option...I believe they were included in certain models as standard equipment.

My 73 Mach 1 Had the 3/4 vinyl roof, wheel opening moldings and rocker panel moldings from the factory.

My 73 Mach 1 Had the 3/4 vinyl roof, wheel opening moldings and rocker panel moldings from the factory.
Travis,

Do you have any paperwork that shows them that you could post? I have never seen one with them and all the literature seems to say you couldn't get them?

Thanks

PS...you missed your projected finish date on your profile page...

Last edited by a moderator:
Travis,

Do you have any paperwork that shows them that you could post? I have never seen one with them and all the literature seems to say you couldn't get them?

Thanks

PS...you missed your projected finish date on your profile page...
Hey Jeff! Unfortunately I don't have any paperwork (or the car, for that matter), I do have a picture that was taken in April of 1991, that shows the trim on the car. It was a Q code Mach 1 (05) body. I bought it from the original owner and it was unmolested. If I can find an old registration for it, I might get a Marti report on it. For that matter, I might do a title search and see if I can locate it and buy it back. Big mistake to let that one go.....

73 MACH 1.jpg

It is quite possible that the trim was added by the selling dealer before being sold. That was somewhat common.

Either way, my car has them, and the wear on those parts to match the rest of the car.
Which would support either Regular Production Option or Dealer Installed Option.

So the question is still out there...

So for those that care about originality-

If I had a 73 and believed the wheel moldings to be original to the car, I would simply say they were either installed at the factory or by the original Ford dealer. Either way they were available to be purchased from Ford Motor Co.

Ray

This brings up the question as to what is considered "original", or "restored original".

There are basically three different interpretations of what people will consider as "original/ restored original".

1) The vehicle in the EXACT state of trim as manufactured on the assembly-line with the exception of typical wear items ( tires, brakes, filters, belts, hoses, etc...)

This means the same exact color as originally manufactured, even if new paint.

2) Restored to a condition that it COULD have been ordered and manufactured as on the assembly-line, but keeping consistent with all the specific ordering restrictions in place for various models.

3) A car that has been restored with only OEM or OEM-apperaing parts, even if that specific combination of parts on any particular could never have been ordered as such.

Personally I usually only consider a car described in #1 as original...although there are many others who have looser or different interpretations.

My own car falls somewhere between all three descriptions: It has the appearance of an original car to most, with the correct combination of parts and trim for the model...but many, many "deviations" have been made by me over the years. Some out of preference, others out of neccesity.

My Magnums are reproductions, and the rears are 8"...never a factory option. My suspension is heavily modified, lighting is 95% LED, several parts have repaired or "fabbed up" over the years, and lots of budget-friendly repro parts have been utilized as well.

Even the paint is a different shade of red. ( I absolutely HATE the shade of the OEM red).

So, even though casual observers may think mine is original...it is far, far from it.

I have however resisted adding any incorrect options over the years, with the exception of a totally incorrect front spoiler. Not really a concern on mine, as it was fully loaded to begin with.

But...no wheel-house trim, rocker moldings for me.

Interesting though is that my 73 has the factory drilled holes for it in both the quarters and fenders.
The wholes were not drilled...My 73 conv. also has the holes and never had the trim moldings because I ordered it with the decor group.

Those holes were punched ( I know because I worked in Tool & Die at Ford). all the panels at the stamping plant were punched so they could add the moldings if they came on that particular model. So they could use the same part for different models.
+1 on this. My 73 convert came with the decor group and has the holes for the wheel trim molding but never had the wheel molding.

Hey Jeff! Unfortunately I don't have any paperwork (or the car, for that matter), I do have a picture that was taken in April of 1991, that shows the trim on the car. It was a Q code Mach 1 (05) body. I bought it from the original owner and it was unmolested. If I can find an old registration for it, I might get a Marti report on it. For that matter, I might do a title search and see if I can locate it and buy it back. Big mistake to let that one go.....
All you need is the VIN for the Marti, and the basic one is all of $15. Worth it.

-Kurt

It is quite possible that the trim was added by the selling dealer before being sold. That was somewhat common.
+1

Back in the mid 70's people were hitting salvage yards and adding things to their cars BIG TIME. I had some good friends that made the local salvage yard circuit almost every weekend if the weather cooperated. It was amazing what they would find. I went a few times and picked up a rev limiter for 5 bucks! Sold it for ultra cheap to a friend (said he needed it) who then sold it for a profit. Now I wish I had kept it for the Boss... :(

It was a great time to cruise the salvage yards!

Anyway ----- it is not so uncommon for cars to have been altered/modified even in their early years. Dealers like to sell cars so they did some crazy stuff too.

Ray

If it's one thing I've learned when it comes to mustang options is never say never. I've been in this hobby since the late 70s before there were almost any reproduction stuff available and I've seen a lot of weird stuff that you might say Ford never had as an option and after investigation found it to be correct. With that said I believe you could get that bright work on a Mach1. I remember in 1979 I ordered a brand new from the factory mustang and I sat down with the salesman who was my wife's uncle and ordered the car the way I wanted it and one of the things we wanted was turbine wheel covers but according to Ford we they were only available with a sun roof. Go figure. Point is anything is possible and never say never.

Hello,

I am an original owner or a Mach 1 and I ordered it. That was not an option on Mach 1. My car has 27 factory in stalled options and then I had dealer order the door edge guards, locking spare tire, rear carpeted floor mats to match the factory installed fronts, front spoiler and you could not order a ram air so I ordered on an put on. A mechanical dual point distributor and undercoating. The Q engine for 73 did not get sent through the government testing with ram air so they could not sell it from factory. I think the only thing I did not order was the engine block heater and thought about that.

The option might have been available on a sports roof since the wheel opening trim was part of the "appearance protection package" that included the black out back panel, not honeycomb, the skinny side bump strips, door edge guards and I think the locking spare tire. I am not sure if it included the rocker moldings but probably did.

I have the listing of what was available on each model buried somewhere in 40 + years of stuff.

You could even have your car painted a non mustang color for I think $135.00 which I put in the first order and they called and said they could not match the rubber bumper and I would have to take a chrome one so I switched colors back to stock. So if you see a Mach 1 with a chrome bumper check deep it might be a one of a color car.

David

Hello,

I am an original owner or a Mach 1 and I ordered it. That was not an option on Mach 1. My car has 27 factory in stalled options and then I had dealer order the door edge guards, locking spare tire, rear carpeted floor mats to match the factory installed fronts, front spoiler and you could not order a ram air so I ordered on an put on. A mechanical dual point distributor and undercoating. The Q engine for 73 did not get sent through the government testing with ram air so they could not sell it from factory. I think the only thing I did not order was the engine block heater and thought about that.

The option might have been available on a sports roof since the wheel opening trim was part of the "appearance protection package" that included the black out back panel, not honeycomb, the skinny side bump strips, door edge guards and I think the locking spare tire. I am not sure if it included the rocker moldings but probably did.

I have the listing of what was available on each model buried somewhere in 40 + years of stuff.

You could even have your car painted a non mustang color for I think $135.00 which I put in the first order and they called and said they could not match the rubber bumper and I would have to take a chrome one so I switched colors back to stock. So if you see a Mach 1 with a chrome bumper check deep it might be a one of a color car.

David
David - thanks for sharing. Your perspective as someone who ordered their car new is invaluable. Please see my following idea as just that - a possibility>>>

I find it interesting that Ford would be willing to put a chrome bumper in place of the very heavily safety- mandated and engineered modified shock absorbing front 1973 urethane bumper. It almost like someone just told you that to try and encourage you to accept what they really wanted to build for you.

Placing a non approved chrome bumper would put Ford as a company in a very inappropriate liability risk.

Something to at least consider...

Ray

David's car with the chrome front bumper situation was a 72, not a73. ALL 73 Mustangs came with the first-year "5 MPH" bumper as required. No other bumper ...chrome or otherwise was available in 73.

Back