• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's probably what's going to happen. I found a local shop that is going to throw it on the rotisserie and promises a 100% blast, fix my welds, and prime for a decent price; even including the interior and insides of mufti-layered panels. They said they would install the new cowl piece as well. Its not cheap, but I think I'm at a point that the money is equal on return later.

Paint is where I'm baulking a little bit. The same shop will do it, but they want as much for the paint job as everything listed above. I don't know if I can justify that, but I'm also a little scared to spend that money on it and they paint it myself. I'm not sure what this thing is worth with a documented rotisserie restoration.

Assuming I get it all fixed up, whats a real mach 1 with a non-original drivetrain worth? I saw a lot hovering around $20k, but those weren't fully complete recent restorations either. Are people really getting that though? They weren't that valuable when I first bought mine. They were kind of the bastard child of mustangs.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably what's going to happen. I found a local shop that is going to throw it on the rotisserie and promises a 100% blast, fix my welds, and prime for a decent price; even including the interior and insides of mufti-layered panels. They said they would install the new cowl piece as well. Its not cheap, but I think I'm at a point that the money is equal on return later.

Paint is where I'm baulking a little bit. The same shop will do it, but they want as much for the paint job as everything listed above. I don't know if I can justify that, but I'm also a little scared to spend that money on it and they paint it myself. I'm not sure what this thing is worth with a documented rotisserie restoration.

Assuming I get it all fixed up, whats a real mach 1 with a non-original drivetrain worth? I saw a lot hovering around $20k, but those weren't fully complete recent restorations either. Are people really getting that though? They weren't that valuable when I first bought mine. They were kind of the bastard child of mustangs.
Get everything done but the paint. Have them spray black SPI epoxy on it. It has a cool satin black finish and is UV ressistant. You can drive it and have it look half way decent while you save for paint.

That is what I plan on doing if I ever get that far.

If you are building it to make money, get out now. It is extremely difficult to buy one and then fix it up and then have something worth a lot of money quickly.

The only way I haev seen this happen is when the owner invests a bunch of labor and or skills for free. So even for them it is a trade-off.

Currently the market is really soft in my opinion. It will recover eventually.

My suggestion is build you car because you like it and then enjoy it. You will be very disappointed if you try and build it so it is worth, "XXXXXX" dollars.

At least that is how I see it...

Ray

Yup.

Barrett-Jackson and Gas Monkey are only TV shows. You only see the shiny side of their coins.

They've lost wads of cash on bad investments, believe me.

I'm going the route that Tommy suggested with mine.

And I'm gonna have fun doing it, guaran-dang-teed. :)

If you are building it to make money, get out now. It is extremely difficult to buy one and then fix it up and then have something worth a lot of money quickly.

The only way I haev seen this happen is when the owner invests a bunch of labor and or skills for free. So even for them it is a trade-off.

Currently the market is really soft in my opinion. It will recover eventually.

My suggestion is build you car because you like it and then enjoy it. You will be very disappointed if you try and build it so it is worth, "XXXXXX" dollars.

At least that is how I see it...

Ray
+1 you have to do it because you love it...a passion as much as a hobby. There's nothing like the high and thrill you get driving a car you love and put the blood, sweat, and tears into!

JHawk

I think if you're building it up for an investment or future sale the 351w will hurt the value a bit as everybody knows that engine wasn't a U.S. option. At this point I would keep building it in to a street beast and drive it often with a smile on my face and not worry about resale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong. I love the car. I twisted every bolt on it. Not many people can say that, even on here. I want to be the guy driving it around on the street. I will sell it one day though, and move on to the next project. I'm just at a point where I've got to make a decision about how nice we are going to go. I'm not going to make money, but I can either sell it now, or drive it and sell it done. But...I do believe the money I put into it now will bring it into a class that returns a much better percentage.

I also understand that no part of that car is selling for 5k right now. I kind of assume I'm at $0 today. I know nobody is going to buy it for anything I would agree to as it sits. Its more of an ad to say I had an ad. If I can get a trailer; I may tow it to the shop tomorrow.

And for you engine guys...good luck building it for less. lol. I should do a vin search on the block though. Its a 69. If I find the matching car, that guy might give me more for the engine than I would get for the car. More wishful thinking...but hey, that's what the internet is for.

America!

Get everything done but the paint. Have them spray black SPI epoxy on it. It has a cool satin black finish and is UV ressistant. You can drive it and have it look half way decent while you save for paint.

That is what I plan on doing if I ever get that far.
+1

Well, trailer is reserved. She's going on a trip today!
I'm guessing a trip to the shop??

You are correct. She went to the shop. In hindsight, I guess that wasn't real clear.

Back