rear shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
I see a lot of talk about staggered rear shocks. is there a difference?? I do not have them, should I change it?? and I do not have a rear sway bar, should I add that also?? I did change from a stock 351c 2v to a 351c 4V hooped up a little.

I see a lot of talk about staggered rear shocks. is there a difference?? I do not have them, should I change it?? and I do not have a rear sway bar, should I add that also?? I did change from a stock 351c 2v to a 351c 4V hooped up a little.
Doc..I did tons of research into rear susp setups...You need to decide how your going to use the car & what your looking for handling wise..There are many good setups out there..& for example a 1/4 mile car is going to have a different setup vs a canyon carver...Originally my plan was to install the ride tech 4 link setup http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-components/airbar/1964-1970-ford-mustang-airbar-system.html But it requires a few mods to install it in our cars..Not a big deal but I realized for the amount of driving this car will see when finished, I decided that modified (4.5 leaf 1" drop mid-eye) leaf springs ..bilsten shocks...in conjunction with the frt susp..wheels & tires... I installed will give me the handling I'm after..My car does have the competition susp package (staggered shocks) & years ago I upgraded the rear sway bar & frt (larger 7/8" rear & 1" frt) I think I put together a great package on my car..So simply put ,determine your needs , what your after handling wise & go from there..

I will take it to the local track just to see what it will do and what it is like to do it.

My main thing is having fun on the road, I live in the Pocono's so I have a lot of windy back roads. I would like the car to handle well. I know sway bars help with body roll but what does the staggered shock do?

I will take it to the local track just to see what it will do and what it is like to do it.

My main thing is having fun on the road, I live in the Pocono's so I have a lot of windy back roads. I would like the car to handle well. I know sway bars help with body roll but what does the staggered shock do?
Doc,

If both shocks are on the same side of the axle, the axle can rotate about a line drawn between the end points of the shocks and the shocks aren't able to damp that movement out at all. Staggering the shocks moves the line to a line that the axle isn't able to rotate about, making them more effective. I used to go to marshalls creek every summer & have visted camel back quite a few times...Nice area..& not that far from me..

Yes it is nice around here.

I think I really should change and stagger my shocks and add a rear sway bar then!! I will look into doing that.

Thanks!!

The staggard shocks went a long way in eliminatang wheel hop on Fords leaf spring cars.If you ever had an occasion to exsperiance wheel hop in a Mustang / Cougar you havn't lived! lol I destroyed a drive shaft in My Cougar when the wheels started bouncing like basket balls!

Doc..I did tons of research into rear susp setups...You need to decide how your going to use the car & what your looking for handling wise..There are many good setups out there..& for example a 1/4 mile car is going to have a different setup vs a canyon carver...Originally my plan was to install the ride tech 4 link setup http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-components/airbar/1964-1970-ford-mustang-airbar-system.html But it requires a few mods to install it in our cars..Not a big deal but I realized for the amount of driving this car will see when finished, I decided that modified (4.5 leaf 1" drop mid-eye) leaf springs ..bilsten shocks...in conjunction with the frt susp..wheels & tires... I installed will give me the handling I'm after..My car does have the competition susp package (staggered shocks) & years ago I upgraded the rear sway bar & frt (larger 7/8" rear & 1" frt) I think I put together a great package on my car..So simply put ,determine your needs , what your after handling wise & go from there..

What mods would be required to run that ridetech setup Q?

What mods would be required to run that ridetech setup Q?
Not much WM..I have some pics somewhere of the required mods..Pm me with an email & I will dig them up for you

Here is what little I know. My car came with them and a rear sway bar. I have been told if the car came with a 9" pumpkin, it had staggered rear shocks. Your car now has a 4V Cleveland so you need both. After all, you did not upgrade to a 4V to save on gas.

You mentioned you "hooped up" the engine. What did you do? I have a '71 M-code and we are always looking for ways to enhance performance.

mike

Not true.

I have 3 - 1973 cars and all 3 have the 9" rear axle. Only 1 has the staggered rear shocks and factory sway bar and it is the "Q" code Mach 1 that came with the factory 351 Cleveland 4V motor with 4 bolt mains.

My other 2 both have 351 Cleveland 2V engines, but not staggered rear shock nor factory sway bar. I've worked on and around Mustangs for over 30 years, have owned a few and still have a few.

Here is what little I know. My car came with them and a rear sway bar. I have been told if the car came with a 9" pumpkin, it had staggered rear shocks. Your car now has a 4V Cleveland so you need both. After all, you did not upgrade to a 4V to save on gas.

You mentioned you "hooped up" the engine. What did you do? I have a '71 M-code and we are always looking for ways to enhance performance.

mike

That is why I joined this group, get to find all types of interesting info. According to Marti my Grande came with the competition suspension package. So That explains the staggered shocks and rear sway bar, not the 9". Thanks.

mike

Not true.

I have 3 - 1973 cars and all 3 have the 9" rear axle. Only 1 has the staggered rear shocks and factory sway bar and it is the "Q" code Mach 1 that came with the factory 351 Cleveland 4V motor with 4 bolt mains.

My other 2 both have 351 Cleveland 2V engines, but not staggered rear shock nor factory sway bar. I've worked on and around Mustangs for over 30 years, have owned a few and still have a few.

mike

Mike,

You have a 9" because your car is "M" code. the 8" wouldn't hold up.

Also, I've never seen an 8" equipped car with staggered shocks and rear sway bar from the factory. You could fairly easily add the rear sway bar, but the staggered shocks have the unique rear cross-member to mount the shock behind the axle. The shock plates under the axle are just a pair of same side plates.

RacerX

That is why I joined this group, get to find all types of interesting info. According to Marti my Grande came with the competition suspension package. So That explains the staggered shocks and rear sway bar, not the 9". Thanks.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back