Rear deck wing install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

We're getting ready to install the new NPD rear deck wing and wanted to see if the Vert community can help me out with measurements specific to our model. The instructions included call out drilling the mounting holes 10 1/2" from the front of the deck lid. This puts the wing in about the middle of the lid,:D!

I think the measurement should be more like 14" to the front of the pedestal- can anyone verify that for me?

The picture shows where I think it should be. The blue tape with the cross mark shows where the instructions say it should be. They must be referring to our fastback brothers?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed my verts just as you have it positioned in the picture. I drilled the 5/16" holes straight through. It hits on the side of a reinforcement rib. I used a steel rod installed in a hole saw to guide my inside cut. Then smoothed off the cut to a factory finish.

Thanks,Judge. I hadn't even looked under the lid. Did you need to make any adjustments to the torsion rod as a result of adding the wing?

I used the NPD wing on my Mach and it's located in the same position as you're pic. I believe that the issue is that the trunk lids are different sizes and the instructions are for the smaller Fastback trunk lids. The trailing edge of the wing should be just about even with the back edge of the trunk like you have now.

The 10 1/2" is for the Sports roof which has a shorter deck lid. Measuring from the other end, our pedestal ends 4" from the back of the deck lid (not the hole)

Thanks,Judge. I hadn't even looked under the lid. Did you need to make any adjustments to the torsion rod as a result of adding the wing?
The lid will stay up but it could stand more tension. It was set on max. Hasn't been an issue.

Just be sure to mount it backwards like 85% of all wing-walkers out there do it.

Hi Butch,

I installed my rear deck spoiler on my '73 Vert, and did a write up on the whole deal. It tells the whole story for you.

Your reference ...........................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-rear-spoiler-install

Also, you will find that your trunk lid probably won't stay open properly now that you've put the new spoiler on. Have a look at my post - Austin Vert gets his trunk gassed up. That will provide a great solution to that particular problem.

Your Reference ......................................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-get-s-his-trunk-gas-d-up

Good luck.

Greg.:)

Thanks to all for the guidance and good humor! ::thumb::

I really have to make the time to upload our "work in progress" albums to the site, until then, here's a shot of the new wing.

By the way, I've sent NPD an email regarding their obvious narrow understanding of their target market in hopes of getting them to expand the installation instructions to include all 71-73 variants :D.

Mustang rear wing.1.jpg

We're getting ready to install the new NPD rear deck wing and wanted to see if the Vert community can help me out with measurements specific to our model. The instructions included call out drilling the mounting holes 10 1/2" from the front of the deck lid. This puts the wing in about the middle of the lid,:D!

I think the measurement should be more like 14" to the front of the pedestal- can anyone verify that for me?

The picture shows where I think it should be. The blue tape with the cross mark shows where the instructions say it should be. They must be referring to our fastback brothers?
I am going to be doing this to a couple verts soon. I bought one car apart and it had what looked like a correct spoiler and one of the three trunk lids was drilled and primed. When I got to looking at it they had butchered up the reinforcement inside the trunk because the bolt holes had fallen inside the formed reinforcement. After checking I found that the spoiler that came with the car was 36" between the centers and should have been 33". The spoiler is a 69 model that only came on the Boss from the factory in 69. So I have a junk trunk lid and a 69 spoiler for sell.

I think the trunk spring was different on cars that came with spoilers. I know if I take the spoiler off the trunk of my Mach 1 that came with a spoiler you better watch out when you open the trunk it will fly open.

David

I really have to make the time to upload our "work in progress" albums to the site, until then, here's a shot of the new wing.

By the way, I've sent NPD an email regarding their obvious narrow understanding of their target market in hopes of getting them to expand the installation instructions to include all 71-73 variants :D.
NPD can't really supply any "official" info about how to correctly mount a rear spoiler on a coupe or convertible, since it was never available on a coupe or a convertible from the factory.

Ok,Kit - but a fella can try! :p

Greg- In the full up position, the lid stays put. It does not raise on its own though, so I've added an Austin Vert -O -Matic lift kit to our project list. ::beer::

NPD can't really supply any "official" info about how to correctly mount a rear spoiler on a coupe or convertible, since it was never available on a coupe or a convertible from the factory.
I have two Mach 1's with factory installed spoilers. I can measure and take pics of where they are positioned and the verts should be the same. I would think it is the location of the rear edge that is important. They were just starting to do wind tunnel stuff with the cars back then. I know when I added the front spoiler it made a big change in how the car acted at over 115 mph. I made the front much more stable.

I will do some of that next week busy with garage build now.

David

Ok,Kit - but a fella can try! :p

Greg- In the full up position, the lid stays put. It does not raise on its own though, so I've added an Austin Vert -O -Matic lift kit to our project list. ::beer::
Way to go Butch!

I hope it all goes well for you. BTW -when you buy the gas strut, find a company that can add an extra gas charge to the strut to give it more lifting power if you want that.

Greg.:)

Thanks, David.

Let me know when the garage gets done and you have time for visitors- we're just two hours south of you.

Good luck with the building!

Shawn

Thanks, David.

Let me know when the garage gets done and you have time for visitors- we're just two hours south of you.

Good luck with the building!

Shawn
Shawn,

That would be great. Been wanting this garage all my life. My gal friend feels sorry for me so she is getting me a massage and soak in the Hot Springs at Hot Springs, N.C. today. They say it might snow there so that would be neat to be in the hot tub and snowing.

Where are you located Columbia, Anderson? My son lives in Anderson.

David

Back