Convertible Door Glass Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmarlojill

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible, 351C 2v, Full restoration
Can anyone solve the door glass mystery for me. I know that the coupe and convertible glass is what I need for my 73 convertible. But I have also read a post that someone had that the 73 hardware is a little bit different that 71-72. I have glass but not from the original car and it doesn't seem to fit correct. How can I tell if I have the convertible glass and not the fastback? Do I need to make sure its out of a 73?

I think the front glass for the 71-2 to 73 is the same except that the bracket on the glass for the 73 has rivets and the 71-72 have bolts.(this is my experience for the verts)

I think the front glass for the 71-2 to 73 is the same except that the bracket on the glass for the 73 has rivets and the 71-72 have bolts.(this is my experience for the verts)
This is correct for all body styles

Only diff was riveted hardware

Big Thanks Don!

Ray

Big Thanks Don!

Ray
Heads up if you have power windows - different glass that has a half moon clearance for the motor. However PW glass will work in non PW doors.

- Paul

Big Thanks Don!

Ray
Heads up if you have power windows - different glass that has a half moon clearance for the motor. However PW glass will work in non PW doors.

- Paul
OK....So I can use 71-73 but can anyone tell me how to tell if I have the coupe/Conv windows and not the Fastback ones?

Big Thanks Don!

Ray

- Paul
OK....So I can use 71-73 but can anyone tell me how to tell if I have the coupe/Conv windows and not the Fastback ones?
The easiest way to determine fastback glass is to measure the height of the glass at the point where the mounting holes are lined up vertically. A fastback glass will be 19 1/2" inches and a coupe will be 20" measuring straight up.

The real difference is in the door glass is leading edge slope and the angle at which the glass sits in the door. If you use fastback glass in a convertible it will not roll up all the way and it will not fit correctly along the front edge.

You can user power window glass in a hand crank but you cannot use hand crank glass in a power window installation. The difference is a 8" 1/2 circle cut out at the bottom of the glass for the motor to sit.

If you have roll up windows in your convertible you can use any 71 - 73 coupe or convertible door glass including Mustang or Cougar.

- Paul of MO

Last edited by a moderator:
i have had a door glass issue since i bought the 71 vert.

roll up and it hits upper part of windshield frame, this leaves gap in corner by mirror. tried to tilt adjust but then doesn't match up to rear glass. can a glass company grind to fit on the car?

If you think the car is stiff enough. I'd push the windshield frame forward. You may want to try with and without top secured. My first guess is that you have frame sag.

Check around and see if there is a good frame shop in your area. They can put on the machine hang the gages and tell you exactly how much your car is sagging. When these cars were new people would crack windshields and rear glass by jacking them up wrong and twisting the body without the rust damage.

They can also bend it back but if you don't fix the rust gravity will do it again.

I have a rust free California 73 vert I can do some measuring on and send pictures maybe tomorrow if you want. Could measure from like the windshield frame on angle down to the bottom rear corner of the door opening. You could compare and see what the difference is.

David

Back