Air Compressor suitable for soda blasting/painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Womack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
302 V8
future Grabber Lime
I am looking at getting an air compressor. I need to soda blast/sand blast car/car parts and in the end I would like to paint it. I realize it is not a 2k air compressor but I don't want to purchase it if it is not suitable for what I need to do.

I am looking at this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors-_-Single%20Stage%20Electric%20Air%20Compressors-_-1592073&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1592073&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1592073&gclid=CJfGvY3AzsMCFciEfgod1wIAiQ

I also would appreciate feedback/experience from any members on a recommended setup, i.e., air compressor, dryer, blaster, and spray guns.

I am looking at getting an air compressor. I need to soda blast/sand blast car/car parts and in the end I would like to paint it. I realize it is not a 2k air compressor but I don't want to purchase it if it is not suitable for what I need to do.

I am looking at this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors-_-Single%20Stage%20Electric%20Air%20Compressors-_-1592073&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1592073&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1592073&gclid=CJfGvY3AzsMCFciEfgod1wIAiQ

I also would appreciate feedback/experience from any members on a recommended setup, i.e., air compressor, dryer, blaster, and spray guns.
That is a very nice unit and bigger than most home shop compressors - even with that for sand and soda blasting you will only be able to blast for a few minutes and then have to wait for it to catch up. That is fine for small parts but can be a pain for whole panels.

I have a vintage 1958 Devilbus 5hp and 120 gal tank and it just can't quite keep up with my small blasting setup. Other than that it is more than I ever need.

You know you are old when a tool you bought new is now vintage!

- Paul of Mo

I am looking at this:

I bought this one at the start of my project 3 yrs ago and had no issues with it. Only thing that I did not do was to paint but it should not have any problems there. Got it at Home Depot and I see its about $450 now on sale. Only draw back is that it's not portable and uses 230 volts but it's easy to wire up. I made an air manifold with plugs along a wall so that I could connect the air hose in different spots in the garage,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

It depends on the cfm requirements of the tools you want to use and tank volume. Even if the cfm rating is sufficient but, the tank is small it is going to cycle too often (especially when painting). Just estimating I'd say a min. cfm rating of about 11-12 cfm and the largest tank you can afford. If you want something for the long term and you don't need it now, save up for 5hp or more, 2 stage, and 60 gallon tank. I switched from a 27 year old 3HP 30 gal tank to a compressor like I described. Painting and using high consumption air tools got a easier with less wear on the compressor. Good luck on the search. This is a good compressor for the money and is occasionally on sale at $100 off. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

Chuck

The one your looking at won't keep up, you'll have to go steady by jerks. I won't rehash whats been said c9zx pretty well summed it it. (Good post BTW) Most "big" air compressors in the Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, world will run a DIY shop pretty well, but, when you step into the world of media blasting you have to go big. I have one of these http://www.tptools.com/1536-Champion-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet,7430.html?b=d*8016 and really puts my air compressor to task when I have a lot to do. Even at 5 h.p., 2 stage, 60 gallons, my outdoor system will outrun it and I have do the blast-wait-blast-wait thing.

Chris,

Any 2 hp compressor will not work for what you want. I've sold air compressors for 30+ years. The mistake of over 50% of the people that purchase new compressors is that they look at price and end up buying a compressor too small for what they want to do. What you discribe, you need a min of a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with a cfm of no less than 25 CFM @ 100PSI. That being said, you will be spending closer to the 2k that you don't want to spend. Shop around for a used compressor that meets the above specs and you'll be a lot happier. A smaller compressor will work, if time is not a factor. You will be able to work for a few minutes, and then wait for the compressor to build up pressure, and then a few more minutes. Really gets to your patience if on a project. Good luck. If you purchase the right size compressor, you'll be happy for 20+ years, or purchase on too small, and end up buying a new one later.

Wade

Wade

Chris,

Any 2 hp compressor will not work for what you want. I've sold air compressors for 30+ years. The mistake of over 50% of the people that purchase new compressors is that they look at price and end up buying a compressor too small for what they want to do. What you discribe, you need a min of a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with a cfm of no less than 25 CFM @ 100PSI. That being said, you will be spending closer to the 2k that you don't want to spend. Shop around for a used compressor that meets the above specs and you'll be a lot happier. A smaller compressor will work, if time is not a factor. You will be able to work for a few minutes, and then wait for the compressor to build up pressure, and then a few more minutes. Really gets to your patience if on a project. Good luck. If you purchase the right size compressor, you'll be happy for 20+ years, or purchase on too small, and end up buying a new one later.

Wade

Wade
Thanks for the responses, I am now considering the two recommended 60 gallon compressors -- the Quincy is nice (US engine versus Chinese).

What about soda blasters? Do I just pickup a cheap one at Sears or Harbor Freight?

http://www.sears.com/eastwood-soda-blasting-intro-blast-kit/p-SPM6316795904?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

http://www.amazon.com/ALEKO%C2%AE-Portable-Blaster-Remover-Wheels/dp/B008DNP00G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1423356589&sr=8-13&keywords=soda+blaster#customerReviews

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Quincy 60 gallon Chuck recommended, nice. I noticed the tire on the passenger front was low so the first thing the compressor was used for benefited the Mustang :)

I am looking at this:

That isn't going to cut it for any type of blasting I'm afraid.

The compressors that jbojo and Chuck linked to will get the job done but as stated, there may be some wait time involved depending on the demands of the specific tools you are using.

The best bang for the buck is this compressor from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html

I know, I know but research it and you will see that it is fairly well regarded and not made in China.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=harbor+freight+air+compressor+garage+journal

You might be better off renting the equipment you need. A decent blaster, compressor, dryer, spray gun will cost a small fortune.

For smaller jobs, I will use a 375 CFM, IR, mobile compressor. For blasting car panels, I use a 300lb cap. vapor blaster. And for spray guns, either Devilbiss MBC with a fine needle and seat. Or a binks Finish Line.

I've never liked soda blasting. It takes forever, to get anywhere, with it. Walnut shells are much quicker, and wont damage your panels. Dry abrasives are my favorite. You really need to know what you are doing so you don't warp anything though.

So depending on, how much time and money, you are willing to invest. Search out every possible avenue.

I got a DeVilbiss 80 gallon, 6.5 HP. 175lbs. max. 16.9 SCFM @ 100 lbs.. 220 volts. Never get a 110 volt for compressor. I have it mounted on a platform outside the garage. Haven't used it on big pressure fed blaster but use it on glass bead cabinet and the compressor actually cuts off when it catches up running the blaster continuous.

It came from Lowe's probably 15 years ago. Never had an issue with it. I think it was actually around $800.00 but ended up getting it for free, long story so not here.

Look around there are shops closing up all the time. A friend just closed his restoration shop and he had two 80 gallon 2 stage compressors for less than half new cost. I got one of his rotisseries for about a third of the original price. He had dryers and a desiccant manifold system in his spray booth. Also got his pressure fed blaster with an expensive dead mans gun/nozzle and 5 new tips for 200. Have not used it so don't know how the compressor will keep up but I need to take lots of breaks anyway, lol.

If you are not going to do more than for yourself don't get hung up on big. As a teenager I sprayed cars with a little Sears compressor, ran the air through a copper coil in a big bucket full of ice to condense the water out with a continuous bleeder and never had any issues with water in the air or fish eyes.

Be careful what you blast with try it on a flat piece of metal and see if it curls up if it does don't use it on exterior body parts. The blasting material is like a bunch of little hammers and that stresses the metal on one side and causes it to bow and you will never get it back right.

Go search cl in your area, look in paper or trader papers there is lots of used equipment out there and cheap.

David

I agree with Boss 351. If you want to blast large volume areas you got to go big. I have a two stage 22cfm compresser that I have had for around 35 years. it will run multiple tools and painting is no problem but to put a blaster big enough to do a whole car keeps it busy, I don't have to stop but the compresser doesn't either.

A friend of mine is a contractor and has a DeWalt D55271 he keeps in the back of his truck. It's 9HP with an 8 gallon tank delivering 16.2 CFM at 100 psi. I know nothing about gas air compressors but is this something that I could sand blast with? Would you be able to atleast prime and paint the underside or engine compartment of a daily driver with it? Because it's gas powered and always running can it generate a constant CFM with a smaller tank? Thanks!

Here's the only link I could find on the compressor online:

http://www.powertoolsonlinedepot.com/Compressors/Dewalt-Air-Compressors-Wheeled-Portable-Gas-D55271.html

A friend of mine is a contractor and has a DeWalt D55271 he keeps in the back of his truck. It's 9HP with an 8 gallon tank delivering 16.2 CFM at 100 psi. I know nothing about gas air compressors but is this something that I could sand blast with? Would you be able to atleast prime and paint the underside or engine compartment of a daily driver with it? Because it's gas powered and always running can it generate a constant CFM with a smaller tank? Thanks!

Here's the only link I could find on the compressor online:

http://www.powertoolsonlinedepot.com/Compressors/Dewalt-Air-Compressors-Wheeled-Portable-Gas-D55271.html
That compressor is for like a nail gun or air operated tools no where big enough for blasting of any kind. You need a big tank and CFM flow like in previous discussion in this chain. I myself prefer to use liquid stripper to get the paint off and only blast areas with rust. You can ruin a good car with blasting if you don't have experience. If you warp the exterior panels you can never get it shrunk back and will be junk.

David

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure. The most I've ever used it for was pressure washing the house, driveway, and deck. Had to turn that sucker way down and it never lost pressure. So like I said wasn't sure if because it was gas and ran the whole time if that smaller gallon tank made good for blasting.

I'm with you. I should have stock in naval jelly.

Ok... I feel really inadequate after reading this thread... I have been running a Campbell Hausfield home DIY compressor, 115v, 4.5 cfm at 90psi, 20g tank since 1992! I have done some small paint, undercoating with it, but over the last 24 years, this unit has never failed to run. Getting long in the tooth today, but a $300 (lots of $$ back in the day) investment has certainly paid for itself 10 fold. Time to upgrade...

Ok... I feel really inadequate after reading this thread... I have been running a Campbell Hausfield home DIY compressor, 115v, 4.5 cfm at 90psi, 20g tank since 1992! I have done some small paint, undercoating with it, but over the last 24 years, this unit has never failed to run. Getting long in the tooth today, but a $300 (lots of $$ back in the day) investment has certainly paid for itself 10 fold. Time to upgrade...
Sounds like the same one I have had for even longer.

I agree with the need to upgrade, now that my workshop is wired and approved I'm looking at this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

Back