Why I like driving my Mustang everyday..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
So when it breaks, I can usually fix it with common hand tools, lol! Cruising around earlier when the throttle cable snapped. A new cable at that. So after a few minutes of thought, I removed the cable completely, then found some wire and tied it to the linkage of the carburetor. Then ran it through the firewall and attached it to the pedal. 10 minutes later I was on my way. Now I'm wondering if I should go back with a stock cable or maybe go the Lokar route? Any suggestions?

So when it breaks, I can usually fix it with common hand tools, lol! Cruising around earlier when the throttle cable snapped. A new cable at that. So after a few minutes of thought, I removed the cable completely, then found some wire and tied it to the linkage of the carburetor. Then ran it through the firewall and attached it to the pedal. 10 minutes later I was on my way. Now I'm wondering if I should go back with a stock cable or maybe go the Lokar route? Any suggestions?
I used the Lokar throttle and downshift cables and it gives a nice clean look. Was really easy to install and no issues so far.

I like the looks on peoples faces when they see a piece of muscle history rumbling towards them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to keep a spare Ford throttle cable in the trunk in the 80s when the pressed on loop would come off the cable. (Along with the proper tools)

I could change out the cable and be on my way in just a couple of minutes.

I like the looks on peoples faces when they see a piece of muscle history rumbling towards them!!
:D yeah me too. My favorite is when they drive off the road staring. But in contrast I've pulled up beside what seems like hundreds of newer Mustangs and they look STRAIGHT ahead as if this cool azz 40 year old beginning history of his POS didnt exist. Keep in mind you can hear my car idle from 5 houses away...so I KNOW they know its there. :D

I usually carry all sorts of tools on long trips, like my 3 hour trip to Ashville last week or going to the beach, but this was just a cruise to the next town over about 10 miles away. I actually broke down right past a gas station and couldn't back up because the roadway was so busy and it was at night so luckily the Highway Patrol pulled in behind me to keep traffic off of me since it was so much traffic. I popped the hood and turned the idle up a good ways then hopped back in and drove to the next station at about 20mph while they followed me so I wouldn't get hit. Glad it's a 5 speed and hey it beats walking lol!

Me too I love the looks I get almost every time I take her out for a spin even if it's just to put some fresh fuel in her tank somebody will almost always say something or just stare. I love the looks on younger generation.

I always get thumbs up or a complement when I take mine out for a ride. I've had people come up to me and ask if they can take pictures of it. Young kids are always asking "what is that?" Pretty cool. Seems like most people that have a Mustang, no matter what year, are waving at me. I have had more complements on this car than any other that I have owned. I wish could drive it everyday! This is my 1st Mustang & I love it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
when I finish the Mach I .... I have heavily considered a 65/6 with a Thunderbird Supercoupe engine and 5 speed for a work car. I'm figuring Turbo power for fun and that 5 speed in front of the high end gear of a 6cyl for milage. Will have to find a POS Mustang II for a frontend for easy driving.

So I'm pretty pissed really. I've owned my pride and joy (my Lotus Esprit) for 13 years and loving the shape and hoping people would appreciate it and nothing, no one in the UK gives a $hit. Then I bought my Mustang last year and now all I get is people waving and taking pictures of it. Why didn't they do that with my Lotus??

What do I like about driving my car; it requires two eyes, two ears,

two hands and two feet and my undivided attention. There are no

air bags, no antilock brakes, no traction control, nada. It is all about

you, the car and your driving skills. I live in an apartment complex

and have underground parking, forgetaboutit! When I fire up the beast

at 0400 the other residence would think they were experiencing an

earthquake. Thank you rpmcarter for mentioning that.

mike

What do I like about driving my car; it requires two eyes, two ears,

two hands and two feet and my undivided attention. There are no

air bags, no antilock brakes, no traction control, nada. It is all about

you, the car and your driving skills. I live in an apartment complex

and have underground parking, forgetaboutit! When I fire up the beast

at 0400 the other residence would think they were experiencing an

earthquake. Thank you rpmcarter for mentioning that.

mike
haha no problems my friend. One of the best compliments I've received is my next door neighbor has admired my cars for years since he bought the house. He goes to florida picks up a 64 GTO 400 5spd. Very nice car. One of his friends says "you must be the cool guy in the neighborhood now" ...he told us he said "no my next door neighbor has TWO very cool Mustangs and the black one is a BEAST so he still rules" ::chili::

when I finish the Mach I .... I have heavily considered a 65/6 with a Thunderbird Supercoupe engine and 5 speed for a work car. I'm figuring Turbo power for fun and that 5 speed in front of the high end gear of a 6cyl for milage. Will have to find a POS Mustang II for a frontend for easy driving.
Hmm, that's an engine combo I haven't considered for my 65 vert's engine bay. I have an extra 5 speed 3550 sitting in a back corner in the garage. I need research this some. ;)

So I'm pretty pissed really. I've owned my pride and joy (my Lotus Esprit) for 13 years and loving the shape and hoping people would appreciate it and nothing, no one in the UK gives a $hit. Then I bought my Mustang last year and now all I get is people waving and taking pictures of it. Why didn't they do that with my Lotus??
Blasphemy! Your Esprit is freaken awesome!! ::thumb::

I fell in love with Esprits back in the '80s when I saw one in the first Road & Track Exotic Cars issue.

Turbo coupe T-birds from 85-88 were 2.3 Turbocharged 4 cyl and 89-90 Super coupe T-birds were 3.8 Supercharged 6 cyl

Turbo coupe T-birds from 85-88 were 2.3 Turbocharged 4 cyl and 89-90 Super coupe T-birds were 3.8 Supercharged 6 cyl
Right - the '85-'88s were running the same 2.3T found in the SVO Mustangs. ::thumb::

I've been driving my '71 Mach 1 everyday now for 25 years. it's my only car. I like driving it for all the reasons you've all brought forth.

However,.....My favorite story, is about one day here in sunny southern California, when I went to visit a friend who lives near the beach. I was on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, sitting at a stoplight, when a bright red Ferarri pulled up next to me on my left, to make a left-hand turn. The young girl sitting in the Ferarri's passenger seat looked over and pushed her sunglasses up to check out my car. That's right baby! Go ahead, check it out! She was admiring the Mach 1. In the world of motorcars, just having an expensive car, doesn't make you an enthusiast.:cool:

Back