dilemma

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
I hav a dilemma. A friend of mine wants to trade my 72 maverick for a 535ci engine putting out 740 horses. I am thinking of putting this in my Mach. Are there any issues I need to be concerned about except the trans. What about the motor mounts.

Jim

No real issues Jim - - just approach it like you are working on a 1971 429CJ.

You will be surprised at the parts you will be able to find at ordinary parts houses, i.e. Autozone, NAPA, etc.

BT

I know the engine mount that bolts to the frame is different for 429, shorter I think. These could be hard pieces to find unless full size Ford mounts are the same as Mustang. You might be able to fabricate/modify something. If you want an alternator the mounting brackets are different. I think standard 429/460 alt brackets will work. The power steering brackets are different as well. The 429 mustang cougar web site would be helpful to you.

Good Luck,

Chuck

I know the engine mount that bolts to the frame is different for 429, shorter I think. These could be hard pieces to find unless full size Ford mounts are the same as Mustang. You might be able to fabricate/modify something. If you want an alternator the mounting brackets are different. I think standard 429/460 alt brackets will work. The power steering brackets are different as well. The 429 mustang cougar web site would be helpful to you.

Good Luck,

Chuck
Mustangs Unlimited has the frame and bracket. You can get the isolator at any parts store.

I bought all my mounts from Crites ,came as a kit. I used all the brackets from a full sized 1970 model 429 Mercury wagon.I bought the whole car for 200.00 and used the motor and trans and every thing else for my swap.All the brackets were exactly as those used on the 71 429 Mustang.Very easy swap,I was able to even use the radiator shroud with a little trimming,When I got through I had a 71 Mustang engine bay,just as it would have looked from the factory.I even used the 429 2v air cleaner base,added a small lip to it,installed a factory ram air seal a ram air center (top).I was in a show next to a 71 429 car and you could not tell them apart ! I was very proud of the way it turned out,even took 1st place.

My point is it is a very easy swap and very doable if you know what parts to look for.Check out the 429 site and study it.Some things are the same.I will be happy to answer any questions.

I hav a dilemma. A friend of mine wants to trade my 72 maverick for a 535ci engine putting out 740 horses. I am thinking of putting this in my Mach. Are there any issues I need to be concerned about except the trans. What about the motor mounts.

Jim
I'd be very concerned about the mileage you'd be getting...or more specifically the lack of mileage. :D. Maybe you could call it footage at that point.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Lol. Good luck with the swap.

My understanding is Crites only makes solid mounts now. If it is a track car only it probably isn't an issue but you may be stuck using their headers as well. Not sure where their mounts position the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back