Speedo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
A couple of weeks ago I got fed up and took my dash back apart. I've suffered from inconsistent lighting/electrical issues (dash lights worked sometimes and volt meter bounced) didn't trust my gas gauge, and my speedo would bounce.

I sent my speedo and gas gauge off to Rocketman's for cleaning and calibration, ordered new circuit board, and then reinstalled it all this weekend. How did it go? It fixed all of my issues save one and I'm pretty sure it is a poor install on my part.

At 50 my speedo still bounces a little (very little )and I think it is because I didn't secure it well enough to the cable. This may be a dumb question but how does the plastic park on the cable secure the the speedo gear?

It's hard to see back there and so any suggestions would be great. Thanks oh and I cannot recommend Rockman enough. Bob does great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cable just snaps onto the cluster.

Usually if it is not snapped on, the cable will not engaged and the speedo won't work.

If the dash is all together - you could try and reach it from under the dash to push / pull in it.

Don

Cable could be bad, binding slightly inside (frayed strand, kinked sheath, rust/dirt, etc.)

New cables are fairly inexpensive.

A couple of weeks ago I got fed up and took my dash back apart. I've suffered from inconsistent lighting/electrical issues (dash lights worked sometimes and volt meter bounced) didn't trust my gas gauge, and my speedo would bounce.

I sent my speedo and gas gauge off to Rocketman's for cleaning and calibration, ordered new circuit board, and then reinstalled it all this weekend. How did it go? It fixed all of my issues save one and I'm pretty sure it is a poor install on my part.

At 50 my speedo still bounces a little (very little )and I think it is because I didn't secure it well enough to the cable. This may be a dumb question but how does the plastic park on the cable secure the the speedo gear?

It's hard to see back there and so any suggestions would be great. Thanks oh and I cannot recommend Rockman enough. Bob does great work.

Connector Engaged:

Speedo Cable- plastic button engaged.jpg

Connector Disengaged- by pressing down on top, causing separation of plastic button from hole in metal of cable:

Speedo Cable- plastic button disengaged, by squeezing top down.jpg

Button at bottom, inside connector:

button, at bottom, inside connector.jpg

Connector Engaged:

Connector Disengaged- by pressing down on top, causing separation of plastic button from hole in metal of cable:

Button at bottom, inside connector:
Button & Hole:

button & hole.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's how it's done! Every time I go to a junk yard, I'm swearing at the speedo cable connector. I think I've gotten one off out of 10 tries.

So that's how it's done! Every time I go to a junk yard, I'm swearing at the speedo cable connector. I think I've gotten one off out of 10 tries.
...it's funny midlife, I had just taken these pics of the speedo cable connector yesterday so I could save them on my computer for the next time I have to take her apart...since God knows I'll sure as hell forget how that connector worked. It's one of those things where you know it's easy to do...if you could only remember how to fricken do it while ur blindly reachin' up there...not so easy when you're 6'-6" 275lbs.

I've seen these instructions many times before and I even bought a new cable to install. I still couldn't get the cable to hook up right to the back of the speedo. I've had my gauge cluster out at least 3 times that I can remember, probably more. Its coming out one more time, after I buy a new, modern gauge cluster.

You could go with a gps one. My plan is to buy a whole new setup something like this...

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dakota-digital-gauge-assembly-vhx-with-carbon-fiber-style-face-1971-1973/p/VHX71C-V/

They look retro, you can see them at night and they should be reliable! Good luck!

Back