1971 Mustang Mach I Tribute

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Last edited by a moderator:
73 Mach 1 tribute.JPG

At least to me - seems like it would have been a lot easier to find a real Mach 1 and modify it to the owner's tastes.

Other than the 'double pin stripe' weirdness on the front quarter (left FENDER :) )

by trying to make the non-73 Mach 1 stripe work, what is up with the look of that front bumper??

Unfortunately, when I hear Tribute or other similar terms I feel like someone is just trying to milk more money out of a car. It also makes me scrutinize more on the car to see how much was actually modified.

Ray

That wierd looking paint junction at the front bumper/ valance junction is the result of putting 71-72 stripes on a 73. That is clearly the reason for the modified and simplified paint/stripe design in '73.

Also, just a tiny nit: there are fenders in front and 1/4 panels in the rear...however, no such thing as a front 1/4 panel.

Pretty lame "tribute", content-wise. This was a stripped 302 sportsroof to begin with. It takes more than decals to make a "Mach 1".

Factory orange paint? Exactly what is the paint code for an orange 71-73 Mustang?

Brown seats in a black interior...in an orange car? I don't think you could have ordered this odd-ball color-combo even if you "knew somebody".

And of course...it is topped off with the same thing every hack does to try and make a 71-73 more "sale-able": a poorly-proportioned ram-air hood tutone treatment applied to a non ram-air car.

And those argent "Mach 1" decals, each clearly applied crookedly, in combo with the rest of the black trim is hilarious.

Sad, but hilarious.

This car will probably end up with a retired car-show "weekender" who always wanted a Mach 1, and will show his rare "original" Mach 1 to all who will listen.

Last edited:
"Also, just a tiny nit: there are fenders in front and 1/4 panels in the rear...however, no such thing as a front 1/4 panel."

Thanks Kit. It was about 1 am. I was a little groggy... :)

Ray

That wierd looking paint junction at the front bumper/ valance junction is the result of putting 71-72 stripes on a 73. That is clearly the reason for the modified and simplified paint/stripe design in '73.
The car is a 71 so aren't the stripes the correct ones? I assume the problem is the bottom stripe and the pin stripe above it is painted, as it is supposed to be but the painter made an error valence area and should have left off the pin stripe for that area as the pin stripe is part of the decal kit

No, the problem is that the car has apparently had the entire dog-house (front clip) from a 73 Mustang attached even though it is supposedly a 71 Mustang. Ford tried valiently to keep the look mostly the same even though they changed a lot of stuff, all due to the new-at-the-time 5 mph bumper standards that took effect for 73-model year cars.

The 73-only front end details are very different from the 71-72 design, making the 71-72 style stripes look odd...as in this photo.

Some of the things changed: Bumper, fenders, valance, grill and grill lights and wiring harness, bumper mounts, front frame rail structure.

And that is just in front. The rear bumper assembly underwent a similar, but less drastic modification for the same reason. It was only required to be rated at 2.5 mph.

Now, that goof-ball double pin stripe on the front valance defies logic. But I think I know why:

The front parking lights are NOT in the same location on 73 fenders as they were in 71-72, they are slightly higher up. Most are unaware of that. There are (or used to be) repro fenders avaialable for 71-72s that had the parking lights incorrectly in the 73 location, making for a wierd set-up.

Any way...putting 71 stripes on a 73 fender puts the lower pin stripe of the decal too far above the valance panel making for a too-large gap in the color break. The decal can't be moved or it will be too low under the parking light.

I have seen many inventive solutions over the years to try and fit 71 stripes on a 73, yet none of them look right, they all look like what they are: an attempt to fit a square peg in a round hole.

However...NONE of them looks as ridiculous as this cobbled-up gem.

Also, the top rear of the front bumper on this car should also be painted black...they missed that too. And as someone else has said, it is sporting 73-style tailight and hoinoeycomb panel trim.

Thanks, that makes it easy for even me to get it. I knew something looked funny but didn't catch that it was a 73 front clip.

Now, just to be fair to this car: It is a decent car and looks nice overall. But it is nowhere near the asking price of nearly $20,000. Someone could have a great cruiser and have lots of fun for a good price with this car as long as they know what they are really getting. $5,000-$6000 is all I would think this car is really worth to someone who knows better. Maybe not even that.

I'm thinking (DANGEROUS :)) this car may be a 73. Too many things point that way. Don't have access to what the ad mentions concerning the VIN.

Found this pic of a really nice looking 73 Mach with later model magnums. Nice looking car. This pic shows how the correct 73 Mach 1 striping (or no striping at all) helps to 'blend' the front bumper into the fender line for 73.

BTW probably my favorite 73 Mustang color!

1973-mustang-mach-1-fastback-left-view_169120.jpg

Ray

Now, just to be fair to this car: It is a decent car and looks nice overall. But it is nowhere near the asking price of nearly $20,000. Someone could have a great cruiser and have lots of fun for a good price with this car as long as they know what they are really getting. $5,000-$6000 is all I would think this car is really worth to someone who knows better. Maybe not even that.
Bidding is at $19.201.00 now. Wonder if it was in an accident or had bad rust issues and they used a 73 donor car for parts. The rear bumper appears correct as I don't think its got that 1" between. the body and bumper for the 2 1/2 mph impact requirement. It also doesn't appear to have the filler piece that that was for the bumper on the sides.

It would be difficult to make a 73 100% accurately represent a 71.

1) front clip and ALL grill parts different

2) rear bumper different

3) taillights and rear panel moldings different

4) front seats different

5) rear seats different

6) seat belt buckles different

7) window cranks or power window switches different

8) seat tracks different

9) radio bezels different

10) radio face plates different

11) heater panel face plate different

And that is just a tiny bit of the obvious trim...there is more. Then...there are the myriad different mechanical and drivetrain differences.

It is not impossible...but it is unlikely that someone will go to the trouble to get it that accurate.

It would be difficult to make a 73 100% accurately represent a 71.

1) front clip and ALL grill parts different

2) rear bumper different

3) taillights and rear panel moldings different

4) front seats different

5) rear seats different

6) seat belt buckles different

7) window cranks or power window switches different

8) seat tracks different

9) radio bezels different

10) radio face plates different

11) heater panel face plate different

And that is just a tiny bit of the obvious trim...there is more. Then...there are the myriad different mechanical and drivetrain differences.

It is not impossible...but it is unlikely that someone will go to the trouble to get it that accurate.
Agreed.

Might have been a mid year 73 change but (for some) even the hood patch assy/bracket is different.

Again I think the car pictured is a 73 trying to 'tribute' a 71 by adding the stripes...

Ray

Probably.

Might be a 73 with a 71 dash tag!

Easy enough to diffuse that ruse in person, though.

Probably.

Might be a 73 with a 71 dash tag!

Easy enough to diffuse that ruse in person, though.
I looked for the seat belt warning light and didn't see one so it's probably a 71 though the absence of the light doesn't mean it wasn't removed at some point.

I did ask the seller if the car was in an accident because the front was like a 73. He didn't answer that question but said it was "Cherry"

The passenger-side dash-mounted seatbelt light was only on 72 Mustangs made before 1-1-72( or some similar date), all 72s manufactured after that did not have it. None of the 73s had it, nor did the 71s.

Back