TAIL LAMP RESTORATION WITH --Q--VIDEO

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff! I'll be doing this some day as well! Great pointers! :D

Great tips. When I refinished my 73 Mustang tail lights the reflective area of the housing had turned a dark color. After some research I learned the best recommendation was to paint the housing with a satin white plastic paint. The satin is recommended inststead of gloss to give the reflection an even glow. I used the Krylon Fusion for Plastic #2422 Satin Dover White. I did this over a year ago and am still very happy with the brightness and glow of my tail lights. Here is a before pic of the inside of the housing, but I forgot to take an after shot before reassembly. I painted the outside of the housing too, almost a perfect match to the original color of the plastic.

DSCF4732.jpg

DSCF8199.jpg

DSCF9312.jpg

DSCF9286.jpg

Q: I always enjoy your videos. Thank you for taking the time to do them!

Mike: Pics of your car always, and I do mean always, make me smile!

Informative video, Great music!

Q, How well does the cleaner work? My taillights seem to have some kind of paint or primer on them. It's hard to notice from a few feet away but up close it looks bad. Right now replacing them is not in the budget.

Awh, man,

I did this and put them back in just yesterday. Had I known, there was gonna be a tutorial, I woulda waited a day or two.

Thanx again for answering my question about the way the gasket goes on.

I found the hardest part was getting the rest of the old gaskets and the glue off the housings. That took an awful lot of time.

Painted my reflectors a satin white. Just like Ole Pony said, it makes for a very even glow without any highlights in the reflection.

But I did take before and after pics. So in addition to Ole Ponys post pre pic here they are.

This is what they looked like after cleaning them. Notice the difference in color between the two:

032.JPG

This after the paint:

044.JPG

Oh, by the way, for the initial cleaning I used this very handy device which was designed for this exact application. This is a great tool that everybody should have, the "ACME Headlight Reflector Cleaner 2000"! Works like a charm!:D

031.JPG

When not in use, the wife likes to put the dishes in which works surprisingly well too!

(I'll probably get my butt kicked, if she ever sees this!:s)

Oh, by the way, for the initial cleaning I used this very handy device which was designed for this exact application. This is a great tool that everybody should have, the "ACME Headlight Reflector Cleaner 2000"! Works like a charm!:D

attachment.php

When not in use, the wife likes to put the dishes in which works surprisingly well too!

That's great! I've used this type of parts washer before too but never have had the courage to incriminate myself with a pic of the evidence. rofl

Awh, man,

I did this and put them back in just yesterday. Had I known, there was gonna be a tutorial, I woulda waited a day or two.

Thanx again for answering my question about the way the gasket goes on.

I found the hardest part was getting the rest of the old gaskets and the glue off the housings. That took an awful lot of time.

Painted my reflectors a satin white. Just like Ole Pony said, it makes for a very even glow without any highlights in the reflection.

But I did take before and after pics. So in addition to Ole Ponys post pre pic here they are.

This is what they looked like after cleaning them. Notice the difference in color between the two:

This after the paint:

:udaman:

That's great! I've used this type of parts washer before too but never have had the courage to incriminate myself with a pic of the evidence. rofl

Are you a man or a mouse?!? :p

Next step is to move the dishwasher out to the garage and fill it with kerosene instead of soapy water - perfect parts washer!

Next step is to move the dishwasher out to the garage and fill it with kerosene instead of soapy water - perfect parts washer!

Ouch! Imagine you turn it on and drive to work with the radio playing when all of a sudden:

"Newsflash! We interrupt our program for some very important news. NASA experts have sighted what appears to be a dishwasher in orbit around the moon. The scientist in charge of the situation was quoted saying that chances are that it has been there for a quite while as remnants of early seventies industrial workmanship are surrounding it. As of this morning no further information has been released. We keep you up to date as soon as we know something new...."

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
great results,the larger the brain pool,the better the ideas! i will be taking over the dishwasher now,did you change heat settings?

Back