Austin Vert Reviews Custom Autosound's Slidebar Radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

First up, there's only one way to describe the new Custom Autosound Slidebar radio head, and that's freakin' awesome!

A little background if i may. I've just recently bought a '73 Mach 1 which sported an original AM/FM radio head in nice working condition. ( don't the old radios just keep on rockin' forever!:)) At some point in time, someone had replaced the original door speakers with el cheapo ones, and the whole thing sounded like listening through an empty can of baked beans. Also, the original plastic door speaker grilles were toast due to age, and needed replacing.(sounds like me:D)

My mission then was to upgrade with a new system that would sound OK, with all the bells and whistles, and didn't want to go over the top in the money department, and at the same time, keep the car as original as poss.

Bingo!, i've hit the jackpot. Custom Autosound has just recently released this slidebar radio head with all the goodies to go with it. This system allows you, do pretty much want you want to upgrade or customize with features like adding an amp or sub, rear speakers etc, however, if you still want to play your cd's, you will have to buy a separate cd player head, or multi stacker unit from Autosound.

The head design is brilliant, looking like the original AM/FM head, and slots in very easily on the install. In my case, i didn't want to install an amp or sub, or rear speakers at this point, so i needed a pair of quality front door speakers to deliver the goods. After much research, i settled on a pair of Polk Audio db571 5"x7" speakers rated at 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power). These are graded as durable marine application speakers, and will handle water issues as well. Also, they are ranked as a shallow depth speaker (2inch depth) which is what you need to get good proper clearance between the back of the speaker and the window glass.

I ended up spraypainting the new speaker grille covers blue, to match the interior color, and with the help of a jig saw with metal cutting blade, trimmed a little door metal off the top original speaker door cutout hole, so the 5"x7"speakers would fit in comfortably. I mounted these speakers behind the metal door skin face, not in front, and i ended up with plenty of room between the magnet and the glass. I seriously think that 5"x7"size speakers are the biggest speakers you would want to fit in the doors.

This head gives you audio input options such as Usb, Ipod, and Mp3 player. I ended up making a custom mounting block out of solid pine and spraying it blue to match the interior color, and shaped it out to let me have a Usb and Aux In socket docking port. I installed that under the dash for easy access. The Ipod cable comes into the glovebox. I used a 32Gig Usb stick loaded with several folders and thousands of songs, and the head handled all the data info with ease.I also bought a new detatchable antenna mast from Don at Ohio Mustang to finish off the package. These original looking antennas, are fantastic, as the mast simply screws off when not needed. Every Mustang should have one!

So to finish off, the new head and the speakers sound very,very good. Great bass, and treble for clarity of sound. You can pump up the volume, and enjoy distortion free sounds too. The head has a digital readout to keep you informed as to what's going on with all playback and function details. The head is easy to use and loaded with smart user friendly features. I'm very impressed with this system, and would give the whole thing 5 out of 5 stars! It has definitely exceeded my expectations.

See pics below

References ...................

http://www.casmfg.com/

http://www.casmfg.com/MUSTANG%201967-73-Slidebar.htm

https://www.soundmaster.com.au/Polk-Audio-db571-5x7inch-Speakers/db571/

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

007.JPG

005.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Very nice Greg! I will be looking into my audio system and will definitely look into this unit. Do you think the output it enough for a vert. I thought about some removable speakers for the back floor to get some extra sound.

Very nice Greg! I will be looking into my audio system and will definitely look into this unit. Do you think the output it enough for a vert. I thought about some removable speakers for the back floor to get some extra sound.
Hi SD,

Yep this baby will be very good in a Vert as well, as is. You could add rear speakers,a sub or amp with ease if wanted. The head is rated at 300watts total,but they don't give per channel output specs. The head and just four speakers alone,would deliver the goods very well i think.

Greg,

As always, beautiful work. That is a great looking Mach... color is awesome. I love the retro look audio. My PO installed an alpine system with an amp and speakers. I'm not ready to start tearing that system out just yet. You do real quality work... thanks for posting.

I like that custom mounting block. That car looks really nice.
Many thanks J,

Yeah, the mounting bock took a fair time to mod up and get right, but paid off in the end.

Greg,

As always, beautiful work. That is a great looking Mach... color is awesome. I love the retro look audio. My PO installed an alpine system with an amp and speakers. I'm not ready to start tearing that system out just yet. You do real quality work... thanks for posting.
Many thanks Sir,

Yes, i like Alpine gear myself, and have new Alpine installed in my Vert which i'm very happy with, but if you want to chase an original look with knockout sound and all the features, you won't go past this setup. I don't have door speakers in my vert,but installled kick panel custom speaker setups in that case. I regret that this head was not available before i bought the Alpine head myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job and thanks for the review, we are still trying to decide what to do for tunes

I put a Custom Autosound unit in my Mach this past summer & I love it!. It's not the slidebar one, it just looks like an AM radio when off & when turned on it's digital, very cool! It's 300 watts per channel also & has the same capabilities as Austin Vert wrote about & you can hook up a thumb drive, that's what I use. I think I downloaded about 30 albums on a 8g thumb drive. A ton of music!

I put 2 small 3.5in. Pioneer speakers in the front dash & 2 6x9 2way 360 watt Pioneer's in the back. Just a simple system, no amps or anything else, & it rocks pretty good! I am very happy with it. :D

Great job and thanks for the review, we are still trying to decide what to do for tunes
My pleasure,

When you're ready to make a purchase, i hope you end up with this head. You won't regret it.

I put a Custom Autosound unit in my Mach this past summer & I love it!. It's not the slidebar one, it just looks like an AM radio when off & when turned on it's digital, very cool! It's 300 watts per channel also & has the same capabilities as Austin Vert wrote about & you can hook up a thumb drive, that's what I use. I think I downloaded about 30 albums on a 8g thumb drive. A ton of music!

I put 2 small 3.5in. Pioneer speakers in the front dash & 2 6x9 2way 360 watt Pioneer's in the back. Just a simple system, no amps or anything else, & it rocks pretty good! I am very happy with it. :D
Hi John,

yes, i'm aware of your model head, and am pleased that you are getting good performance and features out of it yourself. Your speaker setup is interesting. I ended up putting a custom speaker setup in the top dash of my Vert. Two 4inch Pioneer speakers side aside. They sound pretty good. But tell me, what was your rear speaker mounting setup in your car?

I just used the stock mounting holes in back the package tray. Had to enlarge holes a bit. The PO had same size speakers there, but like I, said I had to make holes a bit bigger. The hardest part about the install was doing that cause I had to get in the trunk. Plus, my left arm is paralyzed, so that makes everything tougher. I was smart enough to prop trunk up to keep open, otherwise it would have locked me in. I did the same w/the front speakers as you did, sounds great!

Hi to all,

First up, there's only one way to describe the new Custom Autosound Slidebar radio head, and that's freakin' awesome!

A little background if i may. I've just recently bought a '73 Mach 1 which sported an original AM/FM radio head in nice working condition. ( don't the old radios just keep on rockin' forever!:)) At some point in time, someone had replaced the original door speakers with el cheapo ones, and the whole thing sounded like listening through an empty can of baked beans. Also, the original plastic door speaker grilles were toast due to age, and needed replacing.(sounds like me:D)

My mission then was to upgrade with a new system that would sound OK, with all the bells and whistles, and didn't want to go over the top in the money department, and at the same time, keep the car as original as poss.

Bingo!, i've hit the jackpot. Custom Autosound has just recently released this slidebar radio head with all the goodies to go with it. This system allows you, do pretty much want you want to upgrade or customize with features like adding an amp or sub, rear speakers etc, however, if you still want to play your cd's, you will have to buy a separate cd player head, or multi stacker unit from Autosound.

The head design is brilliant, looking like the original AM/FM head, and slots in very easily on the install. In my case, i didn't want to install an amp or sub, or rear speakers at this point, so i needed a pair of quality front door speakers to deliver the goods. After much research, i settled on a pair of Polk Audio db571 5"x7" speakers rated at 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power). These are graded as durable marine application speakers, and will handle water issues as well. Also, they are ranked as a shallow depth speaker (2inch depth) which is what you need to get good proper clearance between the back of the speaker and the window glass.

I ended up spraypainting the new speaker grille covers blue, to match the interior color, and with the help of a jig saw with metal cutting blade, trimmed a little door metal off the top original speaker door cutout hole, so the 5"x7"speakers would fit in comfortably. I mounted these speakers behind the metal door skin face, not in front, and i ended up with plenty of room between the magnet and the glass. I seriously think that 5"x7"size speakers are the biggest speakers you would want to fit in the doors.

This head gives you audio input options such as Usb, Ipod, and Mp3. I ended up making a custom mounting block out of solid pine and spraying it blue to match the interior color, and shaped it out to let me have a Usb and Aux In socket docking port. I installed that under the dash for easy access. The Ipod cable comes into the glovebox. I used a 32Gig Usb stick loaded with several folders and thousands of songs, and the head handled all the data info with ease.I also bought a new detatchable antenna mast from Don at Ohio Mustang to finish off the package. These original looking antennas, are fantastic, as the mast simply screws off when not needed. Every Mustang should have one!

So to finish off, the new head and the speakers sound very,very good. Great bass, and treble for clarity of sound. You can pump up the volume, and enjoy distortion free sounds too. The head has a digital readout to keep you informed as to what's going on with all playback and function details. The head is easy to use and loaded with smart user friendly features. I'm very impressed with this system, and would give the whole thing 5 out of 5 stars! It has definitely exceeded my expectations.

See pics below

References ...................

http://www.casmfg.com/

http://www.casmfg.com/MUSTANG%201967-73-Slidebar.htm

https://www.soundmaster.com.au/Polk-Audio-db571-5x7inch-Speakers/db571/

Many thanks,

I guess great minds think alike. Put pair of @ 5x7 JBL Marine Speaker @ 120 RMS in the rear and a mean power amp n sub woofer hidden away deep in the trunk of my 72 vert. FYI look at my photo album pp5-8 for some of the upgrades but no pwr windows.

That sounds great MD,

It's good when you plan a system and are basically operating in uncharted waters, but the you get the payoff at the end when it comes together well, sounds good and you're happy with the whole thing.

I oredered my "slidebar" last week...should be here soon! I have a nice (older) Alpine headunit in there now (CD), but it is older, so no new digital moden music features.

With this new unit I will hide the USB port under the ash tray slider, or in the console, and have hundreds of albums with me at all times to choose from!

I have the USB in my F150 with Ford's "Sync" and it works flawlessly, I love having all the albums avaialable all the time.

I have Pioneer 2-way 6x9s on my rear fold-down deck sides, and Pioneer 5 1/4 round 3-ways in the front of the rear seat front kick panels. And a hand-made Orion 40-watt amp under the passenger seat. 40 watts don't sound like much, but it kicks out a lot of bass and volume. I may leave that set up in place.

Hey Kit,

Congrats on the new purchase. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the head unit. Hope it all goes well for you. Do give us some feedback when you get it installed, as to what you think.:)

Hi Lars, that's great news on your purchase of the new head. Let us know what you think as well when you get it installed.

Greg.

Looks like a great product combo but first things first, dumping my Flowmaster 40's...:mad:

Hello Austin Vert,

Absolutely fantastic. You cannot beat the real world installation process. This thread has helped me finally decide this is the audio path I will take when I am ready to install. A++

mustang7173

Back