3/4 vinyl top on sportroof.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
When I bought my car over 30 years ago I thought the 3/4 vinyl top was an unusual option and after many years of going to car shows and cruise night's I still think this is a pretty rare option especially on a MACH1. If you have this option on your car or know of a car with it sound off. I'd like to know about your car and its options.

When I bought my car over 30 years ago I thought the 3/4 vinyl top was an unusual option and after many years of going to car shows and cruise night's I still think this is a pretty rare option especially on a MACH1. If you have this option on your car or know of a car with it sound off. I'd like to know about your car and its options.
I saw one on here a few weeks ago but I can remember if it was an ad or a member...maybe someone else recalls it? There were even a few comments about the vinyl top.

JHawk

Hello,

I have one with 3/4 vinyl top, $52.35. I ordered the car with every option that could come on a Mach 1 except the engine block heater I think. I has 27 factory installed options and 7 that are dealer items for a total of 34 options.

I have posted the order form and dealer invoice before but have again for you to see the costs of everything. I had originally ordered a non Mustang color which I think was $125.00 but they could not match the rubber bumper and I did not want the chrome one so I changed to stock color. The car has sat in the barn and not washed or cleaned in 32 years. I hope to clean it up this year. A little over 12,000 miles on it.

David

Dave,

I can't wait to visit and see this beauty! It kills me every time I see the you write "The car has sat in the barn and not washed or cleaned in 32 years". You can't move that pony into the her new home unless she's dressed for the occasion! I'm bringing the Mequires soap and wax!

Shawn

My first Mustang was a Red 73 Sportsroof that I bought back in 1978, that had the 3/4 roof option.

It had a 2v 351C, FMX transmission, Ford AM / FM Stereo, and hockey stick stripes, and had Ford Wire cover caps.

Unfortunately I had the worst luck with the car, and sold it in the early 80s.

73fastbackMustang1978_zpsc6009b67.jpg

My car had one on it when I first got it in the mid 90's. It was one of the four options the car had.

img001.jpg

Oldmach12.jpg

My first Mustang was a Red 73 Sportsroof that I bought back in 1978, that had the 3/4 roof option.

It had a 2v 351C, FMX transmission, Ford AM / FM Stereo, and hockey stick stripes, and had Ford Wire cover caps.

Unfortunately I had the worst luck with the car, and sold it in the early 80s.

73fastbackMustang1978_zpsc6009b67.jpg
I like the 3/4 on some of our cars. The bronze color really does look good with it. Interesting I've never thought much of the MAVERICK and Mustang until I look at that pic. I can really see the Maverick profile emerging from that look.

I have it.

Now if only I could find the one piece of trim I'm missing for it.......

r7iyzd.jpg

Yup,, had one..Matter of fact it made mine one of a kind ;)
Wow I've never see a white one. I know they were available in other colors but I've never seen a white top. Thanks for the feed back.
No problem, i couldn't imagine what she looked like on the show room floor..lol red and black striped with white interior and white top? I never seen one look like it " maybe that why she one of one" lol It must of looked like a flag rolling down the road, hard to miss!! ;)

That's going to be a tough find. I've often wondered where I would ever find that trim if anything ever happened to mine. I wish you luck. Oh and by the way I love the KeyStones. Very 70ish cool. Thanks for the reply and pic If I hear of any of that trim for sale I'll look you up.

I have it.

Now if only I could find the one piece of trim I'm missing for it.......

r7iyzd.jpg
Ok I spent some time today during our ice storm trying to locate a picture of the full vinyl roof on 71 - 73 mustang. I know that they had them in the 70's a guy I worked with had one I think a 71. It had a special badge on it and it was one of those regional packages. I believe in Texas. It looked like leather and the trim at the quarter also looked like leather. I for the life of me cannot remember what it was called. Anyone else remember it. I did find a couple of people that had cars but with different type top. One guy blasted his car an boom there were the holes for the quarter panel trim pieces. The attached has a picture of I think a 71 with full vinyl top. Also at the bottom there is a neat package that you could get on the hardtop for just a short time.

There was a web site that had all of the specials listed that he has found. I did not copy the location.

I sucks getting old cannot remember like I use to.

David

Thanks David!

I think it might be the piece I need.

I sent an email to the guy to ask. I have all the trim except for the corner piece that connects the passenger side trim to the rear trim. I couldn't tell for sure from the picture if the corner piece he has is the one I need, or if it was the corner on the roof pillar heading down towards the hood. It was super hard to tell from his pictures, but the angle of that corner piece just didn't look quite right. Could have just been the angle of the camera.

Thanks again!

Scott

Thanks David!

I sent an email to the guy to ask. I have all the trim except for the corner piece that connects the passenger side trim to the rear trim. I couldn't tell for sure from the picture if the corner piece he has is the one I need, or if it was the corner on the roof pillar heading down towards the hood. It was super hard to tell from his pictures, but the angle of that corner piece just didn't look quite right. Could have just been the angle of the camera.

Thanks again!

Scott
I never imagined when I started this thread that it might help someone find VERY hard to find trim for there vinyl top car That's so cool. I hope it works out. Frank

Thanks David!

Thanks again!

Your description makes your trim sound different than what is on my 73. I only have the two pieces going across the top nothing going toward the roof A pillar. The top goes to the drip rail on each side. Have you got a pic of yours? Mine was in some of the previous conversations the brown 73.

Scott
I never imagined when I started this thread that it might help someone find VERY hard to find trim for there vinyl top car That's so cool. I hope it works out. Frank

You're right in that the side trim is the drip rail, and there are two pieces, one above the windshield and one 3/4 of the way back between the windows. The rear piece is actually 3 pieces, the center piece and then 2 small pieces on either end.

I'm missing one of those.

Turns out that the one on ebay isn't what I need.

2i72uli_th.jpg

6nrz3n_th.jpg

Back