I love the 70s

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
I was 13 in 1969 and the 70s have always been my era I love the cars the music the ladies fashions (mini skirts, halter tops and bikinis, hip hugger bell bottom jeans) all very hot. I love everything about the 70s it was a great time to be a teenager. (even though my Father was a barber so long hair was a constant struggle) Every time I get behind the wheel of my 1972 Mach1 I slip back in time to an ere where things were better at least for me they were, I just put an Eagles tape in the radio and " I'M ALL READY GONE."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I remember when I was shopping for my car in 73 it seemed the "Brother Louie" was playing on the radio all the time. I associate that song with my car now.

you old eff'r :D yeah me too. At 12 and 13 I listened to Don Mclean and American Pie for what seem like every morning when the "clock radio" went off. I had previous on the farm experience driving big old Chebbie grain trucks and tractors.

666_500_csupload_50362218.jpg

My uncle bought a old bug that had been hit in the rear. We cut the back off and he let me drive it around as long as I stayed off the main roads. Ft. Bragg almost encompassed Fayetteville so I could almost drive to school on Army roads. I didnt get back into the love of cars until 71 when I went to live with my brother. But I can still remember one of my uncles Ranger buddies had a hot as hell wife and a 65 Malibu SS.

American Pie

Three Dog Night -Mama Told me

three Dog Night- Joy to the World

Edwin Starr -War

Smokey Robinson - Tears of a Clown

The girls were awesome, music great, cars even more awesome

American Pie hell yes I played that 45 over and over till I knew every word. I still love that song and every time I hear it I think about those days and my first real love, and now she sits in my garage waiting for spring.

ahhh yes... I agree. Okay and House of the Rising Sun by Frijid Pink? Of course it was easy to lay claim to some of these songs as BEST, since the competition was The Carpenters, Neil Diamond and BJ Thomas (even as a kid I found it ODD someone call themselves BJ). Oh but here's one for ya.... I liked Clarence Carter' s "Patches" being a poor lil Bastage I connected with that song.

The Beatles "Let it Be" and Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" were new releases when I first got my car...I would sit in the garage and fart around with the car ( couldn't drive it yet), and these two songs seemed to be on endless rotation on KLOL 101 FM or KILT 100 FM in Houston at that time. ( If ya' don't remember FM 100 being an AOR station back then...hand in your "Houstonian" membership card!)

Later, when I was able to drive ( finally!), I remember "Smoke on the Water" and "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" were always on...those songs ALWAYS take me back when I hear 'em...

Last edited:
Well I was born in 72 and grew up with 70s music (Zep, The Who, Thin Lizzy, Skynyrd) and had long hair, big collars and flares. I was young but impressionable. I still listen to 70s music, have longish hair, big collars and flares. I love it and don't see any reason in changing.

Similar age to most of you here. I remember an older guy where I had a part time job telling me that HS would be the best time of my life. I told him he was crazy. Boy that was a great time. About 75% of my music collection is pre-1976.

The gas crunch started durring my senior year. By spring the parking lot was full of nice stuff that had dropped in price. My best friend was delivering pizzas in a like new SS 396 Chevelle. He sold it and bought a very sharp '68 SS Camaro. He bought a second generation SS Camaro to drive while I painted his other car. All of those were 4 speeds which seemed like nothing special at the time. Only one friend had a "late model" Stang. He had a one year old green '72 Sportsroof.

Isn't funny how a certain song will bring back a memory. I distinctly remember parking in my 66 Mustang with my girlfriend Carolyn listening to the Rolling stones song ANGIE. Every time I here that song I have to smile.

Isn't funny how a certain song will bring back a memory. I distinctly remember parking in my 66 Mustang with my girlfriend Carolyn listening to the Rolling stones song ANGIE. Every time I here that song I have to smile.
I hear you (heard it too). Winter 1973, in the back of a hopped up '65 Mustang, flying down the Kennedy Expressway to the Arie Crown Theater to see the Guess Who. Eight track of Woman from Tokyo as loud as a few amps could produce. My girlfriend and I did not mind the lack of room in the back of Tom's Stang.

My favorite record from back then, a "Rubber Dubber" bootleg record of Jimi Hendrix, "Live at the LA Forum" 1970. ::devil::

I'll never forget discovering boot's back then, it was like finding the Holy Grail of music, getting those white cover bootleg albums.

The Beatles "Let it Be" and Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" were new releases when I first got my car...I would sit in the garage and fart around with the car ( couldn't drive it yet), and these two songs seemed to be on endless rotation on KLOL 101 FM or KILT 100 FM in Houston at that time. ( If ya' don't remember FM 100 being an AOR station back then...hand in your "Houstonian" membership card!)

Later, when I was able to drive ( finally!), I remember "Smoke on the Water" and "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" were always on...those songs ALWAYS take me back when I hear 'em...
Oh yeah! I remember those radio stations. Do you remember the radio contest when KILT was giving away $10,000 if you answered the phone when they called, "KILT is going to make me rich"? I do, they called me twice and both times even though I knew about the contest I did not answer correctly. Sure could have used 10k back then. I remember those calls like it was yesterday.

KLOL DJ's were Stephens & Pruitt. That was a hard rock station. This thread is really taking me back in time. Going to have to buy me a couple more 8 Track tapes to lessen to when I am driving the Mustang. Only have one now, Beatles Abbey Road which I listened to a lot among other things back in the early 70's.

Oh yeah! I remember those radio stations. Do you remember the radio contest when KILT was giving away $10,000 if you answered the phone when they called, "KILT is going to make me rich"? I do, they called me twice and both times even though I knew about the contest I did not answer correctly. Sure could have used 10k back then. I remember those calls like it was yesterday.

KLOL DJ's were Stephens & Pruitt. That was a hard rock station. This thread is really taking me back in time. Going to have to buy me a couple more 8 Track tapes to lessen to when I am driving the Mustang. Only have one now, Beatles Abbey Road which I listened to a lot among other things back in the early 70's.
In the 70s we had a Chicago radio satation doing the "xxxx is going to make me rich." I think it was WMAQ.

I am 53 now and grew up in the SF Bay Area so music (and hippies) were a huge influence on me. As the State "changed" I opted out in 1995 for West Texas and numerous places since. Now settling in the Texas Hill Country and the far north Idaho Panhandle. That said, the days in the Bay Area were wonderful. I received an email from my wife a few days ago. She bought tickets to see Chicago at the Majestic Theater in San Antonio in May. We, she, I and youngest son at 16, are pretty excited.

"Long, long time ago, I can still remember..." Staying with the Don McLean theme. :)

I do remember the 70ies but in a different way. I was born very early in 1971, so I was a little kid in the 70ies.

Then Europe was quite different from the U.S. I ran into all that 70ies music later when I was actively looking into it.

We hardly had any radio stations playing rock music and if we had, our parents wouldn't tune into them.

What I do remember were Abba which were being played quite frequently and they are still one of my "guilty pleasures". What we did have were German or French versions of American hits. Those were translated and rerecorded by German or French singers for the domestic market and were constantly playing on the radio. But those weren't of the "Smoke On the Water" variety. I remember a German version of "Just let your love flow" by the Bellamy Brothers and I was well into my teens before I heard the original version.

I do remember some Simon & Garfunkel too.

Our cars were boring as the energy crisis had struck us even harder and we even had days when no cars would be allowed to drive at all and you could go for a walk on a freeway. Engines would have 1.3 liters and even the top notch cars like Mercedes and such would have 2.0-2.3 Liter 4-bangers.

Cars would typically be small Opels or Peugeots, European Fords and some of the first Japanese imports. My dad wanted to be cool and he bought one of the first Honda Civics that came to our country. He was very much into that Kung Fu hype at the time (remember that? :) ) and so he wanted to be a part of it by buying a Japanese car. :)

I was 7 when my parents took me to the cinema to see Christopher Reeve as Superman.......

there was garish wall paper in my parents' house and my grandparents had a black and white TV where I loved watching "The Streets of San Francisco"....

My parents still smoked and my mom had long hair she dyed red. I remember her wearing a tight yellow sweater and a tan suede skirt, my dad wore colorful shirts with huge collars....... Just some flashbacks.

My real memories are from the eighties when I was a teenager. Although I remember the 70ies, I guess I'm more of an 80ies kid.

I remember DJs "Moby and Mathews", and also "Mike Martin" and "The Wizard" from KRBE 104.

KILT had "The Un-Contest", introduced with the opening drum intro from Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun". You wrote in, told them what you wanted, they randomly picked then called and gave it to you. (baby crib, new tires, BBQ grill, etc...)

I remember the "Hudson and Harrigan" show on KILT 610 AM was a big hit, and then those two guys went to KLOL FM 101 under thier real names "Stevens and Pruett" a few years later. Funny guys.

Local radio and TV was much more lively back then. Dave Ward ( news anchor for ABC 13 TV) broke both his legs in a motorcycle publicity stunt at the Astrodome, was then on TV every day with two full-size hip casts! Pretty bizarre.

Marvin Zindler, channel 13's "public crusader" kept sticking his nose into the "Chicken Ranch" whorehouse down in LaGrange, pissed off the local sherrif ( who was involved in it), so one day when Zindler shows up with a camera crew, the sherrif beats the livin' crap out of him...on camera!

So Zindler, ever the showman, appears on the newscasts every day after with a HUGE neckbrace, black eyes and various bandages, and those infamous ridiculous oversized blue-tinted glasses...doing his normal reporting.

It was so obviously overdone it was comical.

Steve Ennis was a local sportscaster, very well liked. I went to school with his son Bart. When his Dad died there was a big heartfelt outpouring from the city.

Local stuff is nowhere as "lively" today as back then.

Last edited:
In 1975 I went to my first live concert: Chicago and The Beach Boys at the old New England Patriots stadium (then called Shaffer Stadium (named after the beer). I went with my friend and neighbor Skip and we took his 1973 Camaro. Wow it was great. Two great bands to see live. I miss the 70s.

Everyone has his own history, don't know but looks like a lot of guys have nostalgy from those early years, I have too:)

In 1973, I was 7, my parents bought a brand new Ford Taunus wagon, was yellow, I still remember the plate number (like the home telephone number).

My father was listening with our Scientelec stereo, I can still hear Chicago (that I'm still listening).

And fourty years later, I bought another '73 Ford, but this time was a Mustang:)

"Long, long time ago, I can still remember..." Staying with the Don McLean theme. :)

I do remember the 70ies but in a different way. I was born very early in 1971, so I was a little kid in the 70ies.
slingblade_(1).jpg

"you ought not talk like dat....you just a boy"

Back