Silver trim on quarter panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase.Heuer

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 2004 daily driver v6 and am now the proud owner of a 1973 coupe
does anyone know what this trim is for? Or what it is?

1zmnzpv.jpg

289afcx.jpg

1io7y1.jpg

Aftermarket vinyl roof moldings

+1

Definitely not original. Here are a couple of the different aftermarket vinyl tops offered back in the day. First one looks just similar to what yours would look like installed.

71_2.jpg

Mustang_0249.jpg

Ray

Ray, if that silver '73 sportsroof is yours, I apologize in advance: that thing is hideous! Opera windows and half vinyl roof on a fastback?

Ughh...

Is that what they mean when they say All pimped out? or up? or what ever? Did those opera windows come out of a Lincoln? It's really to bad because other then the roof it looks like a nice car.

does anyone know what this trim is for? Or what it is?

1zmnzpv.jpg

289afcx.jpg

1io7y1.jpg
That trim is for the very rare full vinyl roof. I remember a guy at work had I think a 71 that had one that looked like leather and the trim also. Looks like your trim is aluminum.

I have attached a couple pictures in a word document of another one with the top still on.

I think the one I knew of was a special edition that was made for Texas. I would think your car might be a special edition also. They usually have crazy DSO numbers on the door and build tag under the hood more than just 2 digits.

Where is it located?

David

The factory never offered that particular style of trim for the vinyl roof. It may have been something 'authorized' to install by dealers, but to me that is just aftermarket.

I don't know if I would call a car with skinny white-walls, and poverty caps with no trim rings "all pimped out".

"Opera" windows were all the rage in the eraly 70's, thanks to Lincoln's use of them. Everybody embraced them for a few years after that. Many aftermarket companies installed them on any car you cared to bring to them, as well as vinyl roofs on anything you wanted to write the check for.

My mother's own '73 Mustang hardtop had round ones installed. I got used to them, so they didn't look too bad to me. Others may have thought differently.

Back