1973 Convertible restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973 Q Code

Reaction score
My Car
Restoring a 1973 351 4v convertible Mustang
Hi All, new to the blog. I recently purchased a 1973, 351 4v, convertible. The car was bought new by my father for my mom, and is the car I learned to drive in. It has been sitting in an airport hangar for the last 18 years, and needs a full resto. Good news is that 99% of original parts are there. I need direction in a source for '73 parts, and tips on getting the car stiffer.

[/font]

Welcome to the site from Virginia Great to hear another 73 convert survived. Post up some pics when you get a chance.
Will try to add some tonight

DSC08543.JPGDSC08549.JPGDSC08550.JPG[

Welcome to the site from Virginia Great to hear another 73 convert survived. Post up some pics when you get a chance.
Will try to add some tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi from Phoenix. That car looks pretty original. I bet in a lot of cases it just needs some cleaning! Don't just throw anything away as you go through it.

What are your plans? Are you going to 'make it your own' or take it back to show room stock or ???

Another AZ welcome. Wow, that looks really complete. Cracked dash pad but the rest of the interior doesn't look bad. It will be nice to see it cleaned up

Welcome from North Georgia!

Glad to have you on the site- you'll find all the help you need to get that pony back on the road!

Butch

Hi and welcome from Brisbane, Australia.

Being bought from new by your mum and dad is amazing. Would i be right in assuming that when the car went to storage, the convertible top was not working, and thus the car was stored with the top dropped. I ask because it's sad to see that much dust, dirt and fallout throughout the whole interior.

She looks like a decent car indeed waiting for some good TLC.

Greg.:)

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

On the pics the car looks like all it needs is a good wash and it's ready to go. :)

Great car and color. I'm 2year's into my vert restoration. The guys on this site have been great and I'd love to pay it forward. PM me with any questions and i'll help if I can. I think your first decision it what level of restoration you want to do and work from there. I did a ground up so I've had to go through everything.

Good luck!

Jim

Welcome form Oklahoma.

Very nice car. So rare to see with the original sport wheel covers!

And rare to see one that has not been modified from stock!

You are in good company here as a few other members also have very well preserved 73 Mustangs.

Ray

Welcome from West Texas! Sport wheel covers, FTW!! ::thumb::

I'm thinking all you really need to get started, is a hose, a bucket, some Meguire's car wash, Simple Green, Bleech-White, Armor All, Meguire's carnauba wax, a nice soft sponge, some microfiber towels, Windex, soft paper towels (or some newspaper), and you're in business!

Good-lookin' car - can't wait to see it cleaned up!

Hello and Welcome from North Carolina where we are in the deep freeze.

Looks like your dad was smart and kept everything for you. Like some have said give it a good wash first take lots of pictures as the car is for sure. I saw someone in their post say to use Armor All I would not use it on anything. If you need to paint it causes many issues with the paint just a good mild detergent. The interior was not shiny and slick when new. Go slow ask lots of questions and like many have said throw nothing away.

I would be for finding the build sheet inside the car. Sometimes under the dash, back seat or under the carpet. It will tell all about your car. Hope your dad kept all his paperwork when he bought it also. If so please share.

Great car for sure,

David

Back