louver lover or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Because I'm a bit purist and love these cars ( all 3 body styles) just the way they came from the factory I am always torn by the modifications done by other owners. Years ago I bought rear window louvers and for the most part I guess they look good on the car. But I can't seem to make up my mind as to how I feel about them so I'm putting it out to YOU the 71-73 owners how do you feel about them. Louver lover or not? Weigh-in lets hear your opinion.

I like them so I added it to my car as well as other items that did not originally come with it. My thoughts on the matter was to do the car the way that I would be happy with and went in that direction. In the end I am the one that has to be happy with it.

I like them so I added it to my car as well as other items that did not originally come with it. My thoughts on the matter was to do the car the way that I would be happy with and went in that direction. In the end I am the one that has to be happy with it.
well said thanks for your feed back.

I personally like them. I have a set in my basement from when my dad was younger and had a mach 1. Only problem is i have a convertible not a sportsroof.

I loved the louver look.

when i bought my car it had louvers.

then i drove it and restored the car. driving the car the louvers were annoying especially at night.

the way the louvers where designed the top hinge anchors under the chrome window trim. well the window trim gets damaged because of it and the glass can get messed up also.

trunk opening clearance issue on some versions of the louver.

the newer reproduction louvers are garbage super thin metal and the black flakes off.

lifting the louvers for cleaning the rear glass was a pain.

so over time i grew to hate the louvers. i took them off... bought another old set that was in better shape then i traded that off to a friend instead of putting it back on the car.

i kept the wing and the front spoiler (my car did not have them originally) but the louvers never went back on the car.

I love the OEM 69-70 louveres...hate the aftermarket 71-73's. If they made OEM units for 71-73s, they would undoubtably be more durable and attractive.

Too bad...

I had them on a 1970 Boss 302. I didn't like them then, and I don't like them now. It is just personal preference. Chuck

I love my louvers. I think they give the car a certain look that i like. They are a pain in the ass to clean under but hey, they are COOL! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree they are a pain to clean under and as far as them being a vision problem who can see out of the funky black glass anyway? That's the only problem I've ever had with 71-73s Blind spots.

I installed a set on my first car (and first Mustang - '82 GL hatch) had 'em - aftermarket unit by Covercraft. Loved 'em! Made the car look tough, and certainly helped with the heat during the New Mexico summers.

I have also installed a set on the '71. I like the look on it as well. The kit came from Summit Racing, and I don't believe they are as nice and solid as even the Covercraft unit from the late '80s when I had 'em on my other Mustang. I'm also not too keen on how close they are to the leading edge of the trunk lid as it's opened, but I'll figure something out to ensure they don't rub off any paint.

I bought mine about 20 years ago and I think the quality was better then today. I can't even remember who sold them back then but they've held up very well the only thing I did was to protect the paint on the trunk was to take rubber vacuum line about 2 inches long 2 pieces and cut it length wise one slit each piece then slide it on the edge of the last louver. Just a precaution.

I love rear window louvers. I think they are cool as heck and nothing gives that typical early 70s vibe like them. Go for it!!!!

Love the look of them but rear visibility is bad enough without adding anything to make it worse

Not a fan. For 71-3's I always felt they looked out-of-place.

They do look good on the 69-70 Mustangs and then I like them on the 70 and 71 Torino GT's Cobras fastbacks.

Most I have seen on 71-3's have fitment issues. Since they were/are an aftermarket item fitment and quality was never that great.

So if you really like the look and want them on your car - sounds like the early issued units were better built, hence more desirable.

Ray

I like them on the 69 and 70 for sure.... ours? Not sure I suppose if mine had them I would keep them. But do I want to go out and buy some ...no. I'm not in the stage of gotta hav'm but I like them.

I remember they were popular with some of the guys I knew back in the late 70s early 80s.

I thought they could be handy in the Texas sun, but I never wanted a set bad enough to buy them for my Mach-1.

It's been awhile since I've seen a set close up.

I like the look w/the louvers. I just got a set a few weeks back, still have to put them on. I know there not stock, but I like them. My rear window is really scratched up, so these will help cover that up some. A new window is so expensive, these are about half the price. ( I got them brand new for 220 buck's.) A lot of our cars have the extras added to them, & I think the wings, spoilers & louvers really add to the look. Too bad the louvers weren't a stock item. I plan on spraying them w/a few coats of clear which should make them match my gloss black accents. I've always wanted a car with all that stuff & now I finally do. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my louvers. I think they give the car a certain look that i like. They are a pain in the ass to clean under but hey, they are COOL! :cool:
Where did you get your louvers?

Back