African Mustang Build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

African Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupè
Good day all.

I found this classic on a farm in Africa. I need to rebuild it with limited resources and knowledge. Your help will be much appreciated.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424289710.919976.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424289748.790639.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424289842.936640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from Denmark.. :) I'm sure you will get all that help you will need, from this site.. It looks like a long term project, needs a lot of hours. But if you have the skills to make it work, it should'nt be a problem.. Where do you get parts from when you live in Africa? :)

Great project, you can find or ask any thing about these cars, you've found the right site.

we have another member from South Africa, his screen name is clinton351

you might want to Private Message him about part sources in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:
No history on the car. What will a marti report tell me and how do I go about getting one?

African Mustang
Hello from the U.S.A.

There is a wealth of info here and if you need parts we can also probably help. I have been to South Africa 14 trips, 15 hrs from Atlanta to Joburg. I end up in Port Elizabeth and then go up toward Addo from there. Have a friend with a hunting ranch there.

Most in the U.S. probably do not realize that Ford has made cars in S.A. since the 1920's. GM is also in Port Elizabeth and many others including VW in the area. The cars there are right hand drive but I see the Mustang is L.H.. Ford never made any R.H. Mustangs that I am aware of. I have see Barracudas in Africa that are R.H. drive and many Fords and Chevys. I double that your door I.D. sticker is still in place but if it is on the drivers door L.H. on the end of the door there should be a sticker. The DSO code should be in the 90's for an export model, note it says for export only. I attached a picture of one that went to Germany. This car could have been brought over by Ford for a show or just a customer. I know the F-150 use to be the SAPS, South African Police Service vehicle of choice back in 60's.

I will be coming over later this year and could bring a few parts with me, lol. I have also sent items over in mail as gifts to the ranch.

Keep it out of the scrap. I know they call a body shop a panel beater in Africa so get to beating on it.

David

Hi David! I live about a 2 and a half hour drive from PE. We go hunting in that area every year. I did take the car to a panel beater how damaged some of the panels beyond repair. I have ordered new panels from Cal Mustang. Shocking what they did to my car.

African Mustang

The right rear fender was repaired with scrap metal from a mini cooper and the left rear with a piece of galvanized sheet metal. Floorpans were fixed with 3 different pieces of metal. I nearly killed the idiot.

African Mustang

Should have smelled the rat when he asked for payment up front. Wont make the same mistake twice.

African Mustang

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424373342.574847.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424373369.811408.jpg

How much would it cost to get a better one ship over? Before you get to deep into that car Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a better one ship it over there..That car is boarder line toast..Do you have the interior & all the parts that came off it or is that what your starting with ?

Our laws do not allow lhd cars to be imported. There are loop holes, but I bought this one fairly cheap. $1200. There are allot of parts with the car, but most are useless. I have have bought quite a few parts from cal mustang and cj pony. It shipped yesterday and will dock in Cape Town on 13 April. In the mean time I want to start rebuilding the engine. Are new Mach 1 seat frames available?

African Mustang

AM- seat frames for all 71-73's are all the same except for some small changes to the location of the seat back release lever. The differences were in the upholstery, not the steel frame of the seat...

Good luck with the project. The cowl patches are going to make fitting a windscreen touchy...

if you are not going 100% original looking, you can get some nice aftermarket seats to fit nicely and still look really good (I'm sure it would be much cheaper too)

mjlan that is exactly what Steven my builder said. Any suggestions on the cowl panel?

African Mustang

My favourite seats are The TMI Racing seats. Like the original Mach 1 seats but with bucket side support.

African Mustang

Back