Head Light Relay Kit Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

I saw a new thread discussing dim lights, and one of the corrective actions suggested is to install a headlight relay system. Since we've already been down that road and having installed the system that Bob sells, I thought I'd post a walk through of the product and how we went about the install. As always, I wish I had taken more pix along the way, but I think you'll get a feel for how easy and clean this install can be. I hope this helps!

fmphz.jpg

2itr4ic.jpg

1zgrivl.jpg

52gtmx.jpg

29lldkx.jpg

23ua8aw.jpg

rm4uuw.jpg

ravhgi.jpg

2qnchn9.jpg

15yt0zn.jpg

2uym6q1.jpg

2ykyqtj.jpg

291fgwl.jpg

2dshbhw.jpg

vyv71k.jpg

2u7oowz.jpg

Very nice, really looks clean. So how do the dash lights look now?

Very nice, really looks clean. So how do the dash lights look now?

The stock bulbs did glow brighter, but not bright enough for us. Seems a common refrain. We went with the Super Brite LEDs in the instrument cluster, center gauges and center console lights. We replaced the courtesy lights with led light strips. Now we're satisfied with the lum levels. :D

It is a really nice well thought out kit. Mounted mine similar to yours and was happy with this upgrade. Nice thing I like with this kit is that if a relay ever fails you just disconnect the relay and go straight to the headlight and you have that lamp working again until you can replace the relay. You did a really nice job on your installation, congrats on your installation

One of the best upgrades you can do. I did mine many years ago. Get some nice hi-wattage bulbs and you will notice a difference. It also makes your car look "stronger' when driving at night, having bright headlights. Dim, yellow-brown lights make a car look 'weak'...like "Christine' on her last legs.

I too installed this system in my car. The biggest plus for me was that it eliminated any flickering of the headlights which is a common problem on these cars if you're drawing too much current. Great upgrade and easy install.

JHawk

I'm doing this, I hate my headlights! I also put the superbright led's in the dash and what a difference! Now I have to do the headlight fix. Where can I get this from?

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the kit, I found that my old voltage regulator was causing "flicker" in not only the headlights, but all the running and tail lights as well.

I replaced the old mechanical VR with a new Solidstate one from OReilly, and installed the sequential LED tail light kit from Easy Performance. All is fantastic now!

Back