Interesting 71-73 Mustang tidbits...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

1) Only Mustang model to have full-length hood (no exposed cowl or header panel)

2) Only model to have hidden wipers

3) First model to incorporate full-width grille

4) Only model NOT to have the "FORD" word or badge prominently displayed inside or outside.

5) First model to have flush door handles

6) last model to have rear center-mounted gas-fill.

7) Only model to offer GM-designed Rochester carburetor (429 CJ)

8) last carbureted Mustang to use any kind of cold-air induction

9) last model to utilize a "Hurst" shifter as factory-installed equipment

10) lowest production of any "generation" up to that point( in spite of having three full model-years as opposed to only 2 or 2.5 for each of the previous genertions):

64-66: 1,288,602

67-68: 791,525

69-70: 490,551

71-73: 409,638

11) 1972: lowest production year total of any year up until 1983:

1972: 125,053

1983: 120,051

12) largest V-8 ever offered in any Mustang (1971 429 CJ/SCJ)

13) First model to offer power windows

14) most engine options available in Mach 1 of any generation (71 &72)

15) last model to offer 3-speed manual transmission

16)First generation to not offer "GT" model

17) First generation to NOT have "FORD" spelled out across hood lip

18) last generation built without catalytic converters

19) First generation to offer aluminum wheels

20) Only generation to offer retractable 1/4 windows.

Last edited:
Nice info and attention to detail. Only, I wonder if for point 3) "First model to have headlights inboard of grill" the 1970 Mustang and Shelby would apply. Those had the headlights inside the grille opening.

You could add: "First Mustang to be designed as a Muscle Car Instead of Pony Car." :)

Yeah, 70's had lights inboard of grill...I guess it should say First model with full-width grill. I'll change it! Shelby's don't count as Myustangs in this list. Why? because i say so!

(Shelby mods not trechnically designed by Ford stylists)

1) Only Mustang model to have full-length hood (no exposed cowl or header panel)

4) Only model NOT to have the "FORD" word or badge prominently displayed inside or outside.

10) lowest production of any "generation" up to that point( in spite of having three full model-years as opposed to only 2 or 2.5 for each of the previous genertions):

Interesting facts but a couple I would challenge. #8 last with cold air induction. The 84 GT had a nice set up that pulled the cold air from outside the engine compartment and had Holley 4 V. I have 20th. ann with this set up, pic attached.

#9 Last with Hurst shifter. The 1984, 85, 86 SVO came factory with Hurst shifter also.

There have to be some other first or lasts. Was the rear window defogger ever on a Mach 1 before?

It was last convertible for many years.

David

"4) Only model NOT to have the "FORD" word or badge prominently displayed inside or outside."

it was only displayed on the inside the door scuff panel (blue oval Ford logo)

Cold air) all later versions (84-85) grabbed air from inside fender area, behind headlight or grill... not really "cold air" in my estimation.

Hurst shifter) SVOs had Hurst shifters? Wadn't aware...must research...

"FORD" nomenclature) only "corporate" parts had the emblem.( radio face, sill plates, underhood components, etc...) I was referring to model-specific trim like hood or body trim.

This was just a mental exercise...not thouroghly researched. If any others are wrong, lets hear about it!

If you have any more facts...add 'em to the list!

Last edited:

nice list I like it. It really shows just how special our cars are. Oh and the scuff plate is hardly what I would call prominent . so I'm good with that one too.

Actually, all of the convertibles had retractable quarter windows... but I thought all of the early coupes had 'em as well. The '69s and '70s were the only ones with quarter windows on the fastbacks, and I'm pretty sure those were fixed like ours, but I still think the coupes had roll-up quarters.

Cold air) all later versions (84-85) grabbed air from inside fender area, behind headlight or grill... not really "cold air" in my estimation.

Hurst shifter) SVOs had Hurst shifters? Wadn't aware...must research...

"FORD" nomenclature) only "corporate" parts had the emblem.( radio face, sill plates, underhood components, etc...) I was referring to model-specific trim like hood or body trim.

This was just a mental exercise...not thouroghly researched. If any others are wrong, lets hear about it!

If you have any more facts...add 'em to the list!
The SVO cars also cooled the air going into the engine with the intercooler and the shape of the scoop in the hood is also NASA based.

I have an 85 and it would eat my Mach 1's lunch any way you want to run it. They are fun to drive but just don't sound like a big V-8 does.

It just sits with all the others parked because I let work rule my life.

David

The SVO cars also cooled the air going into the engine with the intercooler and the shape of the scoop in the hood is also NASA based.

I have an 85 and it would eat my Mach 1's lunch any way you want to run it. They are fun to drive but just don't sound like a big V-8 does.

It just sits with all the others parked because I let work rule my life.

David
I drooled over, test-drove (more than once), and almost traded my '82 Mustang (very cool and very paid for), in on an 84 pewter SVO. Bad ass car - 'nuff said.

My problem(s):

• I was an E-2 in the Air Force (not enough money to afford the payments AND insurance)
  • as an E-2 I was barely 20 and had a tendency to customize things like cars
  • I also had the cognizance to recognize that because of such low production numbers that SVO would be a collector car (and my customizations would only hurt the value).

So... I didn't buy it. :( (a minor regret)

BTW - The ducts are called NACA ducts (because they were invented when NASA was still called NACA). The ram-air hoods on '71-'73 Mustangs are called NASA hoods, because that's what Ford called 'em (even though they're wrong... it's they're hood, they can call it what they want). ;) :D

Yes, SVOs had cold-air for the intercooler, but those were EFI...not carb'd.

And like a bonehead...i forgot about the convertible 1/4 windows rolling down.

However, were the 69/70 fastback/coupe 1/4 windows pivot-opening? Can't quite remember... (and I had a '70 mach for many years!)

Yes, SVOs had cold-air for the intercooler, but those were EFI...not carb'd.

However, were the 69/70 fastback/coupe 1/4 windows pivot-opening? Can't quite remember... (and I had a '70 mach for many years!)
My quarter windows roll down in my Mach 1. If you got power windows 71 - 73 they rolled down.

Been seeing a thread about adding manual roll downs to a Mach on here. Everything out there to do it just need a donor.

Hey - ya can't be expected to know everything. ;)

That's a good question about the '69-'70 qtr windows being on pivots - that would've been a cool option. ::thumb::

I did the roll-up quarter windows on mine with the intent of using aftermarket power window motors... and I'm still only about halfway done. All the mechanical hardware is in-place, but they still needs to be adjusted for smooth operation and alignment, and the universal motors installed (all the wiring is run, though).

I thought about if we were the longest ( thought maybe not, was'nt sure), and knew others had fold-downs.

I was gonna add that we were the last true fastback, or even the last fastback without hatch, but I anticipated many challenges to that.

What about radial tires? First to offer?

How about 4-lug wheels? First to not offer?

Back