old newbie

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Hello forum members,

new to this site but not 1970's fords.

worked for dealership for about 12 years as a drivability tech.

last 1970's car owned was a 1971 mercury cougar 351c 4v closed and toploader, wish I still owned it.

1978 merc. cougar, transplanted 351 c 4v closed & c4 , good sleeper of sorts.

so now I have this 71 fastback, solid body (texas car) and it has been garaged for the last 8 years.

had running Cleveland 2v c4 needs interior, also has all the mach 1 cosmetics.

the pending question I have is an engine swap.

thinking of a 1970 400 & c4 , not a problem for me to make power with this.

does anyone make motor mounts for this swap ?

realize I will need bellhousing and flexplate ?

would also consider stroker kit for the 351 c.

I do have access to a fresh 400 for cheap.

comments and suggestions ?

boilermaster

Tmeyer builds some badass 400's He'll likely know the engine mount answer. That being said, a 400 with a factory build and heads is not an improvement over ANY cleveland. Just being fresh means little if the compression wasn't bumped up, and the heads weren't improved. (the factory timing was also retarded, but that is a relatively easy fix,)

Are you sure you have a C-4 as most came with the FMX which has a cast iron housing as opposed to aluminum

Rebuilding a 351 with a stroker kit is fairly easy these days. I went to a 393, but a 408 would have cost the same.

From a standpoint of desireability a stroked 351C would likely be far more resellable than a 400

Tmeyer builds some badass 400's He'll likely know the engine mount answer. That being said, a 400 with a factory build and heads is not an improvement over ANY cleveland. Just being fresh means little if the compression wasn't bumped up, and the heads weren't improved. (the factory timing was also retarded, but that is a relatively easy fix,)

Are you sure you have a C-4 as most came with the FMX which has a cast iron housing as opposed to aluminum

Rebuilding a 351 with a stroker kit is fairly easy these days. I went to a 393, but a 408 would have cost the same.

From a standpoint of desireability a stroked 351C would likely be far more resellable than a 400
jeff73mach1,

vin code says fmx, the previous owner installed c4.

kind of looking @ dollars per lb.ft. torque.

been storing up on 400 build ups aware of all the issues I would have to overcome to make decent power.

boilermaster

Oh, and BTW Welcome!

I suspect you can accomplish what you want with either engine. I think the 400 will be a bit more $ to build and will be harder to recoup your money if you ever sell. That being said, you should build the one that makes you happiest.

Donc,

am aware of the fmx block but have never actually laid eyes on one.

believe they were 1973 only.

boilermaster

Hello forum members,

new to this site but not 1970's fords.

worked for dealership for about 12 years as a drivability tech.

last 1970's car owned was a 1971 mercury cougar 351c 4v closed and toploader, wish I still owned it.

1978 merc. cougar, transplanted 351 c 4v closed & c4 , good sleeper of sorts.

so now I have this 71 fastback, solid body (texas car) and it has been garaged for the last 8 years.

had running Cleveland 2v c4 needs interior, also has all the mach 1 cosmetics.

the pending question I have is an engine swap.

thinking of a 1970 400 & c4 , not a problem for me to make power with this.

does anyone make motor mounts for this swap ?

realize I will need bellhousing and flexplate ?

would also consider stroker kit for the 351 c.

I do have access to a fresh 400 for cheap.

comments and suggestions ?

boilermaster
got the right idea for a substute or mod/upgrade ck w/pig vicious racing or Daniel Herberth if u do not get all fyi here. Mikke

Back