SR-71 Cockpit Checkout

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great video. lots of info, I think I'm ready to fly a blackbird after watching that. ;)

It's amazing to see what was cutting edge technology back then. Its amazing they did so much with so little.

When stationed in Okinawa in the late '70s - early '80s, we used to watch them take off from Kadena AFB. The Japanese called the Blackbird the "Habu", a poisonous black snake. The power generated during take-off was incredible, putting the F-14s and A4s and A6's to shame, which is saying something.

Thanks for the cool post!

Very cool. Thought I was going to be bored, but it was great!

Being a "Knight Rider" fan, it would be cool to do a fictional psuedo-documentarty on the interior of "KITT" and use similar tech jargon and specs to explain its (his?) functions and abilities. My "nerd-light" is flashing.

great video. lots of info, I think I'm ready to fly a blackbird after watching that. ;)

It's amazing to see what was cutting edge technology back then. Its amazing they did so much with so little.
If that was possible back then can you imagine what's out there now that we don't know about. The possibility of the Aurora sightings being real and operational is probably pretty good.

Cool stuff thanks for posting it

Thanks for posting that. Very nice.
That's pretty Sweet. How did you get it
My mother-in-law spent her last few summers in Arizona. In 2006 she attended the SR-71 Symposium held at the Pima Air Museum that February. She picked up the autographed poster for me at the event. The poster itself does not justify the frame but the signatures do. An impressive gathering of men involved with the program were there. Although we've never done any work relating to the Blackbird, the BOSS and I have been involved in spacecraft hardware along with some aircraft/ground vehicles for defense applications.

When stationed in Okinawa in the late '70s - early '80s, we used to watch them take off from Kadena AFB. The Japanese called the Blackbird the "Habu", a poisonous black snake. The power generated during take-off was incredible, putting the F-14s and A4s and A6's to shame, which is saying something.

My mechanic worked on these back in the 70's as an Air Force

electronics technician mostly replacing broken gauges like the

speedometer.

mike

I think the original plane was a YF-12A that was armed with air to air missile.

They soon discovered there was nothing to shoot down at 80,000 feet.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The smaller single seat A-12 was the forerunner of the breed. It was slightly faster, and could go a bit higher.

What an amazing line of aircraft.

73vert,

I actually remember the same thing, they called it the habu. I was a Marine stationed on Futenma with MABS-36, 83-85. Very cool stuff!

Back