1971 Mach 1 Boss

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that they are saying its a BOSS just using that keyword to try to get the price higher. Their disclaimer is "With Boss appearance". All 71-73 Mach 1 fit this description they are using.

Well, the "hockey sticks" were originally standard and only available on the BOSS 351...The Mach 1 was originally never intended to have the side stripes available as an option. This was to make for more differentiation between the two models. However, with the limited sales and short-lived nature of the BOSS 351 Ford decided early on to adjust the options and make the stripes optional on the Mach 1 also, to the delight of the less hardcore-performance desires of the typical Mach 1 customer...leaning perilously into the "all show, no go" habit.

Then...to clearly demonstrate that image is far less important than sales profits, Ford offered the "sports decor" package, nearly the ENTIRE Mach 1 body trim and paint package on any model, even the lowly 6-cyl coupe.

That just diluted the "specialness" that an authentic Mach 1 or BOSS owner felt even more.

Now that I think about it, I am surprised I have never seen a fabbed-up "tribute" 1973 BOSS-351, with 73-style stripes but with "BOSS 351" stenciled into the stripe instead of "mach 1", and with the BOSS-style hood tutone. Too bad Ford never offered the aluminum mags in 15". Those would have been great on a '73 BOSS 351 tribute.

Did Ford ever have those wheels in 15" on a different car? Or maybe did whoever make the wheels offer them in 15" for another car maker?

I'm getting some ideas for a project...

Well, the "hockey sticks" were originally standard and only available on the BOSS 351...The Mach 1 was originally never intended to have the side stripes available as an option. This was to make for more differentiation between the two models. However, with the limited sales and short-lived nature of the BOSS 351 Ford decided early on to adjust the options and make the stripes optional on the Mach 1 also, to the delight of the less hardcore-performance desires of the typical Mach 1 customer...leaning perilously into the "all show, no go" habit.

Then...to clearly demonstrate that image is far less important than sales profits, Ford offered the "sports decor" package, nearly the ENTIRE Mach 1 body trim and paint package on any model, even the lowly 6-cyl coupe.

That just diluted the "specialness" that an authentic Mach 1 or BOSS owner felt even more.

Now that I think about it, I am surprised I have never seen a fabbed-up "tribute" 1973 BOSS-351, with 73-style stripes but with "BOSS 351" stenciled into the stripe instead of "mach 1", and with the BOSS-style hood tutone. Too bad Ford never offered the aluminum mags in 15". Those would have been great on a '73 BOSS 351 tribute.

Did Ford ever have those wheels in 15" on a different car? Or maybe did whoever make the wheels offer them in 15" for another car maker?

I'm getting some ideas for a project...
The aluminum wheels were only 14" and came on Mustang, Maverick and Mercury. I have a set of each and one that I am not sure of since it did not have wheel center caps. The center hole is a different diameter on different cars due to size of axle and bearings in front hubs. I am going to put together a photo shoot of all of them with the numbers stamped in them and dimensions of the center holes when spring gets here. They use to sell for $10.00 each in the late 70's when people wanted a wider rim.

David

Back