AOD fluid question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Just a short question. My AOD is leaking a little so I had to top the fluid level off.

I added about 600 ml (0.6 quarts) of what I later found out was AQF instead of Mercon V.

I have not driven the car yet, just had it idling to check the level and moved it a few meters back and forth in my garage to work around the car.

Will that be ok or do I need to drain the fluid and flush the trans? Are they compatible?

As soon as the trans pump started turning, you were committed :)

I've never heard of AQF (must be a Euro thing?), but after a quick Google of it I don't think I'd be too worried.

People routinely dump stop leak, anti torque converter shudder, and other snake oil additives in auto trannies with little or no detrimental effects.

Even if you drained the pan and converter, you'd never get it all out. It's such a small percentage compared to the amount of existing Mercon anyhow.

I say, let 'er rip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the AQF must be the "classic" Ford spec fluid for the likes of C6, C4 and FMX.

Here's the exact spec:

IMG_5333.JPG

Mercon V is simply Ford's very-similar version of GM's Dexron-VI. Low-temperature pour-point depressants were increased to aid in positive engagement in low-temperature, low-rpm conditions. The AOD and AOD-E have smaller, lower-pressure pumps than older Ford transmissions, and the less-viscous ATF encourages quicker and more positive shifts and engagements in cold transmissions in extremely cold climates. In warm or even moderate climates, you would probably never notice any difference even if you filled it completely with type "F".

Last edited:
If it's a '93 and earlier AOD, I'm not aware of any Mercon V requirement for fluid. The AODE and 4R70W are more alike and they certainly do call for Mercon V, however.

Ok. Thanks a lot.

Just for your information, it is a 1986 or 87 trans.

I was worried that maybe mixing the two types of fluid might cause them to form some kind of slush. I saw that once with two different coolants in a radiator.

I took the car for a drive yesterday (yes it was dry and sunny but today we have 2 inches of snow again) and it worked fine.

Ford has a general tech bulletin that specifies Mercon-V to supercede Mercon in any transmission that originally called for Mercon.

Latest posts

Back