1972 R code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray72mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 H code 351c 5 speed.
1972 Mach 1 R code 351c 4 speed
Ok group, What would you do? i have a R code Mach that needs rust repair, not terrible but does need work, Motor and trans are original and it runs great, Car is missing original carb, intake, rev limiter and previous owner swapped the 3.91 for a 3.55, What would everyone do with this car? It is in driveable condition, Should i keep it or sell it and let someone else do it up properly? Keep in mind i have a fairly nice 72 h code too.

here is pics

uploadfromtaptalk1424565117890.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1424565140106.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1424565173500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard call I have 2 Mustangs and I have to decide do i go fast or cruise. that car you have looks to be a really great restorable car. However I'm not the guy to ask. My cars have original motors and tranny's and I try to keep them all original. I would want to keep it for a hot rod version.

I'd kinda like to have a 4 or 5 speed!!!

My other Mach has a nicely built Cleveland and a 5 speed, i also have two foxes and a 64.5 mustang,

see my toys!

uploadfromtaptalk1424568290789.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1424568312258.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1424568342010.jpg

When replacing metal, keep as much original metal as possible. I'd keep the car fairly original by not doing anything that cannot easily be reversed. I'm glad I don't own a rare car, I cannot resist "improving" my cars.

Im just debating whether to keep it or not. I really don't need it, But at the same time, i doubt i will find another R code very easily, especially numbers matching.

My other Mach has a nicely built Cleveland and a 5 speed, i also have two foxes and a 64.5 mustang,

see my toys!
images

cool shot of your shiny car

Very nice looking cars. On the '72, it depends on how much you enjoy having it. If you love it, work on it, restore it to original, and you have something rare to be proud of. If it's no big deal, sell it and use the money for something you enjoy. Life's to short to just store stuff. If you do decide to sell it, pm me and let me know more info. It might go well with my '71 Boss project (yes, I'm storing stuff, but I really love them :rolleyes: )

Steve

I think that car needs to be restored to factory original. Its a R code, there were only 366 of them made, which I'm sure you know. That's pretty darn rare. You do have a tough decision to make. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Wow what a find. My two cents worth. If you try to make it a 100 point car you will probably spend twice what you can sell it for and you can never drive it. Finding all those hens teeth will take years and not just anyone can do the rust repair & restoration to a level it would need to be for a 100 point car. You can make any 351 into and "R" performance engine but you cannot make any of them into a real "R" car. I would find someone with more money than they have sense and then you can go build you a car that would eat it's lunch. Now if it was your dad's he bought new that would be a different story.

David

Im leaning more towards possibly selling it, I don't have the time or extra money for another one. Its a nice start for someone, Only problem is i am into it for 6,000 already. I will keep it before i lose money on it.

That's my issue. i want to make it right or close to right, But honestly don't have time or money to do it at the moment, Unless i store it away for a couple years.

If I read between the lines, I think you already have made up your mind.

If you hadn't, you would have already started modifying it.

In looking at the special or high-performance versions of the 71-73's, the 72 R-code is near the top of the list, it had lower production numbers than any other high performance model except probably some non-Mach 1 429 cars.

Try to get your money out of it and focus on what you already have.

Injecting myself into your dilemma, I have two project cars and two driveable cars. I wouldn't be able to decide what to work on or drive if I had as many cars as you!!!

Good luck...

If you are going to lose money, I would not sell it. A running R code with the original driveline, even without some of the proper parts should be worth enough for you to double your money in my opinion.

While it is missing some specific parts, many of those can be found. If it were me, I'd find every unique part I could before I tried to sell it. If I couldn't buy the part, I'd sure be ready to hand a willing buyer my list of available R code specific parts.

Back