1972 Mach 1 351 Cobra Jet non ram air - which air cleaner?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbracken

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet
When I bought my car last year I was pleased that it was generally unmodified. One thing that had been changed however was the fitment of an aftermarket chrome pancake type air cleaner assembly, a relatively easy thing to change back to original - if you can get the parts....

So this week courtesy of eBay I picked up a chrome air cleaner lid for a 72 351 Mach 1 CJ - it measures 17.5" diameter. Then later in the week I picked up a NOS complete air cleaner assembly (less snorkel that I later bought separately) also for a 72 351 Mach 1 CJ that has the original Ford part number 9600 which looks to be correct based on the parts CD I have. The problem I have is that this is 13.5" diameter.

Advice please???? What is correct for my car.

Puzzled of Detroit!

photo (26).JPG

Here is the correct one with chrome lid that just got. The blue base you have looks to be too small, but the lid looks correct. Look for pictures on the internet of the engine bay, there are a ton. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-air-cleaners-assembly
Thanks guys very helpful and all part of my education..... I screwed up on the NOS base I ordered on eBay. At least I now have a better understanding of the Ford part numbering system anyway.

I have a base for a 71 that is pretty close if you can't find another 72 base. They are hard to come by. I got lucky to get the one for the 72. I was just going to restore the 71 air cleaner & add the chrome top. I think you got the top I was looking at on ebay. Anyway, I got the 72 air cleaner from a really nice guy on the site here & no longer need the 71. It needs to be restored, but is original & complete. If interested send me a PM. :)

The 72 Q code would have the chrome air cleaner lid - as you now know...

But the decal on the lid could be 4V and not CJ. It depends on your car's build date.

earlier cars got the CJ and later cars received the 4V decal designation. I have not found the actual changover date (yet). Probably in an earlier thread!!!!

Ray

The 72 Q code would have the chrome air cleaner lid - as you now know...

But the decal on the lid could be 4V and not CJ. It depends on your car's build date.

earlier cars got the CJ and later cars received the 4V decal designation. I have not found the actual changover date (yet). Probably in an earlier thread!!!!

Ray
Ray...April 5th build date with just 4V

333fkpk.jpg

Great info Ray, that explains a lot. I've seen both decals on them & couldn't figure out which is correct. My car was missing the original air cleaner, so I don't know which sticker was on mine. My build date was 2/2/72 so I would probably have the 351-4v designation on mine.

Man awesome thread I found a q code air cleaner from a Torino looks like it has the same configuration, I found a chrome lid at a swap meet it is a 4v marking, I was thinking it came off a 73 but its neat to learn that 72 Qs only had the chrome ( excluding boss and ho )

Back