Picked up a turbine compressor for painting, anyone ever used a Graco CX-8?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opethlike

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I picked up Graco Croix CX-8 for cheap. I have to buy all the hoses still though as it was just the unit itself. I am a complete and total newbie to painting and these systems. Is anyone familer with there?

Do I need a special "turbine gun" or will my normal HVLP gun work?

Do I need a "pressure pot"? What the heck is that?

Just trying to gather parts right now and looking to practice on some old garbage body panels.

Thanks

As long as your gun meets the pressure and volume produced by the compressor you should be fine.

A pressure pot is a remote 1+ gallon container that you put the paint in, and then the paint just flows to the gun gun through a hose, so you don't have to deal with a reservoir on the gun, less weight and you don't have to fill as often.

Awesome, thanks Don C.

I have a gravity fed gun already, so that should be ok to practice with I guess. Guess I will call Graco and find the part number for the hose(s) I need.

Hi There,

It sounds like the whole painting thing is fairly new to you, Compressor, regulators, guns etc, etc. There is no complete help clinic on this forum regarding auto spray painting as such.

However, for some good tutorials and help, i would give Utube videos a look in. Type in what subject you want help with, say compressors for example and you should see a variety of vids come up to assist you.

Here is an example of what i'm talking about -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=setting+up+your+home+spray+paint+shop

Best of luck,

Greg.:)

Thanks, yea I have been researching it quite a bit, what led me to seeking out a turbine compressor. I am really only looking for specifics about this style compressor and if anyone knew anything about them specifically as I am trying to gather parts. Wouldn't expect this forum to teach me how to paint.

Thanks for the tips!

Back