• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

In Need of a 428 CJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhyatt14

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet 4 speed Top Loader. Matching numbers, 47,000 original miles. Dark Metallic Green with Gray Two Tone.
I know this is a 1971-73 Mustang site…. and I have my 71' 429CJ car… however, I just purchased a 1969 Mustang Q Code 4 speed car and after tearing the engine apart I found out that the top end of the motor was all 428CJ and the bottom half (block, crank, pistons) were all a 390… so now I am on the hunt for a 428 Cobra Jet block/engine and I was hoping one of you fine people may have a connection that may have one of these blocks for sale. I would very much appreciate any help in this search. Thank you in advance. -Jim

Thank you. I saw that one on there. Unfortunately that's a "A" block or Police Interceptor block. I'm looking for a "C" block which is correct to my Cobra Jet car. I appreciate you taking the time to look it up though.

Here's an example of the "C scratch".

I may know of one. I'll make a call this weekend.
That would be great! Thank you!

Sounds like you are going for a "Restoration" rather than a restomod?

I have a 1969 428CJ motor in my '73 Mach 1 that I am replacing with a 545 as it is more "period correct."

I picked up a '69 "body" that was originally an "H" code and am going to put the 428CJ in that car. along with a cast iron tailshaft C6. Mine is going to be more of a restomod as I am going with Dakota Digital gauges, Vintage Air, 17 X 8 wheels, ect.

I have already upgraded the rearend with staggered shocks, 31 spline rear (3.91 traction lok), bigger sway bars, and subframe connectors. Have also added the fold down seat. Will also be adding the shaker hood. Trying to improve on Ford's original approach:).

It is a money pit but it gets me through the day:)!

BT

Yes I am definitely going the restoration route. I could have easily just cleaned up the 390 block and passed the problem along to the next guy but I'm not wired that way. I want things done correctly so the next guy can really enjoy it.

Yes I am definitely going the restoration route. I could have easily just cleaned up the 390 block and passed the problem along to the next guy but I'm not wired that way. I want things done correctly so the next guy can really enjoy it.
Understand:)!

I am a bit "different" as I build my cars for me (to enjoy) and have no intention of selling or passing ANY them on to the next guy.

That is the beauty of a site like this one as we have room for and support whatever approach someone takes with their Mustangs.

Good luck on your quest and build:)!

BT

I ended up getting one from Mustang Masters in Florida. They had a January 69' block which was exactly what I needed as my car was built on February 2nd 1969. All of the original parts I have (intake, exhaust manifold, heads, water pump) are all dated January 69' so this block is perfect. Thank you to everyone who replied and tried to help!

Back