Help identifying this engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Karma

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang coup
So bought the Car body is in great shape just cant figure out what type of engine is in it, the guy i'm buying it from has no idea and looked at me like i was a genius when i told him i was going to rewire it. ("you can do that!?")

Also any suggestions on what to check or if pictures from different angles are needed just say. Got a picture of the bell housing too if it helps.

11038656_425230307632448_3706240312041869515_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
289/302 Windsor.

Too narrow for a 351W.

I agree with MotoArts, it's likely a 302. The bellhousing is a small block, and a 351 has a taller deck height so the valve covers sit higher and wider than a 302.

you can look at the block codes behind the starter motor.

you can look at the block codes behind the starter motor.

Start narrowing it down if you can't access behind the starter. Visual looking at it from the pictures you provide I am saying right off it isn't a 351. The valve covers would look to be further under the front shock mount brackets. But that could just be the angle.

But for the sake of reference, a 351c has 8 bolts in each valve cover, as opposed to the 6 in a 351w. Also, the radiator hose connects to the intake manifold on the windsor, and directly to the block on the 351c. Once you get past that, determining if it is a 351w, vs 302 or less is a matter of looking at the retaining bolt on the distributor to the block and how it lines up, height-wise, with the bottom of the intake manifold. The bottom of the nut will be about 3/8 of an inch (I may be wrong here) from the bottom of the intake manifold on the 302, 289. There will be 1 inch (this one I know) of space on the 351. Even easier, the intake manifold on the 351w is 11 inches wide as opposed to 9 1/2. Hopefully a few of these help you narrow things down. Also, if our eyes are fooling us, and this is a 351w, you can tell if it is an early 351 w because the intake manifold is being held on by 16 bolts as opposed to 12. Good luck with your search for answers!

289/302 Windsor.
How do you know?
Oh, I've been around ;)

The boys are right, get the numbers that are above the starter (can be seen laying on the ground and looking up) on the block. If you get all of the numbers, we can even tell you what year and day the block was cast.

The intake manifold looks either aftermarket or Ford factory aluminum 5.0/5.8 (302 or 351w). Either way there should be numbers on the top of it, just take the air cleaner off and look around. If it's aftermarket, the manufacturers name should be cast into it as well as their product/model number.

302. The arrangement of everything looks like mine.
f1ee5ca3cbb8061701b652ba9c69f6d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302. The arrangement of everything looks like mine.
f1ee5ca3cbb8061701b652ba9c69f6d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, I'll look at it all next chance i get. Looks like i have to take all the cobradress up stuff off since it can't actually be one right?

Back